• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elysian Cafe - Hoboken, NJ

jrichman

Finally made it to Elysian Cafe and highly recommend it. We had the yellowfin tuna and the organic chicken for entrees, both of which were delicious. Also got to sit outside which was very comfortable. Has anyone else been here? What are your thoughts on this place? I highly recommend it. I also hear that they have a great brunch.

I went there shortly after it opened (around 6 weeks or so) and was dissapointed. I remember the crab cake being particularly dissapointing -- no lump meat and much too much filler. And everything else was just OK, nothing special. Considering the prices (not expensive, but not cheap eats either) and the heritage (Amanda's) I had expected much more. However, I have heard good things since by people I trust -- just haven't gotten around to going back.

Amanda's brunch is consistently excellent, so I wouldn't be surprised if Elysian's was good...

the Elysian's lobster roll is second to none. i do find the rest of their food very average. but it's a great addition to town, even though the food isn't stellar. a bit more upscale and mature than most other places. but you can still get shots and beers if you really want. :biggrin:

the Elysian's lobster roll is second to none.  i do find the rest of their food very average.  but it's a great addition to town, even though the food isn't stellar.  a bit more upscale and mature than most other places.  but you can still get shots and beers if you really want.  :biggrin:

Agree that it's a nice addition, they did a very nice job refurb'ing the place and I nice little outdoor patio to eat/drink on as well.

Your lobster roll review intrigues me -- the best local lobster roll that I've had by far is Pearl in NYC. Does this compare?

Agree that it's a nice addition, they did a very nice job refurb'ing the place and I nice little outdoor patio to eat/drink on as well.

Your lobster roll review intrigues me -- the best local lobster roll that I've had by far is Pearl in NYC.  Does this compare?

about 1 million in refurb if my sources are accurate (and they're probably not). they really totally gutted the place and put a lot of it back together. the old charm somehow remains intact.

i've not yet been to Pearl, but one of the bartenders at the Elysian who agrees that the Elysian lobster roll is very good says he likes Pearl a bit better. i can't imagine that it gets better than this though.

but as far as the Elyisan's goes, it's lightly (and simply) dressed and balanced perfectly to my taste. comes with fries and arugula salad. some pictures of the Elysian's lobster roll can be found here, pointing out (i hope) how perfectly dressed it is. other brunch items looked good during my visits, although i've not had anything but the lobster roll. :biggrin:

I've eaten there a couple of times for brunch. And I'd describe it as competent and pleasant, nothing to rave about. My 12 year-old did say she had one of the worst cheeseburgers ever, there for brunch. And as she's done quite a bit of cheeseburger research, I'd trust her on that opinion.

I go here 1-2 times a month. Great lobster roll; excellent chicken and steak sandwiches on the bar menu. They obsess over the french fries, which are excellent. Used to have good coq au vin, but I think that's off the menu. My wife and I often have salmon or some sort of other fish and like it.

The owners are the same as Amanda's down the block. They did an extensive gut rehap and an obsessive restoration. It's really charming inside.