• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak tartare in August in a bistro

John Talbott

A member posed the following (edited) query to me and my thoughts were Meating, despite it's being in the 17th, and/or any brasserie, despite being brasseries not bistros. But I knew others would have good suggestions.

"My wife loves steak tartare....

I've been doing research on Parisian steak tartare but the overwhelming choice, Bar du Theatre, is closed for August. Any suggestions for a Paris bistro late afternoon Friday, August 3, Arrondissements 1-7?"

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

A member posed the following (edited) query to me and my thoughts were Meating, despite it's being in the 17th, and/or any brasserie, despite being brasseries not bistros.  But I knew others would have good suggestions.

"My wife loves steak tartare....

I've been doing research on Parisian steak tartare but the overwhelming choice, Bar du Theatre, is closed for August. Any suggestions for a Paris bistro late afternoon Friday, August 3, Arrondissements 1-7?"

Café Constant in the 7th(Rue St. Dominique) has it both ways; aller-retour and cru. Another spot recommended by E. Rubin in his "Gourmet Paris" is Le Grand Colbert in the 2nd, of which he states..."This brasserie is probably the only one that still knows how to prepare tartar with the knife. Tender meat, cut from the filet of beef, neatly seasoned to order by proficient waiters."

Edited by Laidback (log)

On our last visit to Paris one of our party had the steak tartare at Brassiere Balzar, 49 rue des Ecoles; he pronounced it "superb". The dish was prepared near our table by one of the head waiters. Balzar gets a well deserved rap for reheating some of it's more popular dishes such as the poulet roti; we love the ambiance of Balzar and just avoid that dish and concentrate on those which have to be prepared fresh, such as the steak tartare etc.

Café Constant in the 7th(Rue St. Dominique) has it both ways; aller-retour and cru.

just tried to google-educate myself on what aller-retour is, in food terms. am i correct in thinking that it means quick-seared, and that therefore, steak tartare aller-retour is a quick-seared steak that is then hâchéd? and is it a common way to order steak tartare?

Edited by bethala (log)

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

Café Constant in the 7th(Rue St. Dominique) has it both ways; aller-retour and cru.

just tried to google-educate myself on what aller-retour is, in food terms. am i correct in thinking that it means quick-seared, and that therefore, steak tartare aller-retour is a quick-seared steak that is then hâchéd? and is it a common way to order steak tartare?

You're correct but I've rarely seen it (except at CC's Cafe.)

John Talbott

[You're correct but I've rarely seen it (except at CC's Cafe.)

thank you! i'll also add that Craig Smith of the New York Times did a piece on steak tartare (http://www.azcentral.com/home/food/articles/0519steaktartare19.html) in which he mentions Bar des Théâtres and La Favorite. this piece was also mentioned in an earlier thread by John Talbott (http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=59078&%20pid=894663&mode=threaded&show=&st=&%20-%20100k ).

Bar Des Théâtres

6 Avenue Montaigne

75008 Paris

Metro : Alma Marceau

tel: 01.47.23.34.63

La Favorite

3, boulevard Saint-Michel

75005 PARIS

Metro : Saint Michel

just tried to google-educate myself on what aller-retour is, in food terms.  am i correct in thinking that it means quick-seared, and that therefore, steak tartare aller-retour is a quick-seared steak that is then hâchéd?  and is it a common way to order steak tartare?

First question: no, in fact it's the other way round: it's a steak tartare (a seasoned steak haché) that is quick-seared on both sides. Second question: not very common, but more so in recent years.

just tried to google-educate myself on what aller-retour is, in food terms.   am i correct in thinking that it means quick-seared, and that therefore, steak tartare aller-retour is a quick-seared steak that is then hâchéd?  and is it a common way to order steak tartare?

First question: no, in fact it's the other way round: it's a steak tartare (a seasoned steak haché) that is quick-seared on both sides. Second question: not very common, but more so in recent years.

Apologies bethala, ptipois is correct; I misread your post and answered your first query incorrectly, it is a tartare mixed before cooking, that is quickly browned and thus looks like a giant very very very rare hamburger.

John Talbott

thanks! sounds delicious. makes me think of Nobu Matsuhisa's "cooked" sushi concept.

We encountered a new one tonight - a "beef tartare just seared" at l'Histoire de....... in the 18th.

PS It wasn't.

this sounds scary. please, do tell.

I think it's the same idea; mix up the steak tartare, then quickly pan sear it and serve.

John Talbott