• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mortons's Steakhouse - Riverside Square Mall

TheBoatMan

I read an article this past weekend that Morton's Steakhouse is getting close to opening. They are having an open house hiring for all positions this week. Not sure of the exact location, I think the article said Paramus (Riverside Square). I'm not a huge Morton's Steakhouse fan myself but want to let others know.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Riverside Square Mall is in Hackensack, not Paramus, but either way, I am excited to see Morton's is coming to NJ.

I have fond memories of sharing with a friend a 2-1/2 lb Porterhouse from Morton's (we actually ordered, picked up the meal, and enjoyed it in our hotel room)...

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Finally!  Morton's has been opening since the flood!

Huge fight taking place over who gets to control the company.  Maybe that caused the delay.

Nick

If the fight involves a change in ownership, that definitely affects the hooch license.

Might be an opportunity to have an eGullet BYO night, and drink all of Rosie's Turley vintages...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Tommy, Would you please elaborate on the incompetence at the River Palm. Have never been there because I don't eat red meat but all my friends rave about this place, especially if you can get there before 6:30 and the maddening crowd.

Hank

Tommy, Would you please elaborate on the incompetence at the River Palm. Have never been there because I don't eat red meat but all my friends rave about this place, especially if you can get there before 6:30 and the maddening crowd.

i should probably try to find my comments on this place, which are probably on egullet somewhere. i can only suggest that your friends admitting that they want to get to the place before 6.30 or run the risk of a dimished experience is very telling.

edgewater: long waits. steak just not as good as it should be at those prices.

fairlawn: valet parking when it's completely unnecessary. clueless staff from the coatcheck girl on up to the waiter. food just isn't as good as it should be at that price point.

i have the "luxury" (well, the opportunity might be a better word) of eating at steakhouses in NYC, and RPT just pales in comparison on just about every level. however, if one doesn't get to NYC often, i can see the appeal.

• 3 weeks later...
Finally!  Morton's has been opening since the flood!

Huge fight taking place over who gets to control the company.  Maybe that caused the delay.

Nick

ahh, that space has a history too. This time i was part of it. It was Hiliary's for a long time- owned by R.A. R.A decided to closed it ( I'm not sure if it was losing money or lease was up) I had a great time waitressing there, it was like a family.

Ernie's came next, related to the ernie's in the city. I forget who owned it, but they also owned America;s and a slew of other resturants in NYC. And they always had fun openings. I left before ernie's closed, and lost contact with the waitstaff & staff there.

• 5 weeks later...

Well it's open. I had lunch there two weeks ago as part of their test runs. hands down the best damn crab cakes I've ever eaten. Worth the trip just for these. My wife had a lunch steak salad...merely pedestrian and florsheim at that. They won't steal customer's with this one. Two serviceable Caesar Salads (tasted of real anchovy and garlic) and a boring little Rasberry Sabayon. Open bar for the duration of lunch was nice.

2 Caesars

1 Crabcakes Main course

1 Warm steak Salad

1 Raspberry Sabayon

6 glasses Beringer Chard

113.00 (gratis) + 25.00 for waiter (this was paid by us)

Handsome room. Very masculine and clubby.

Next up: test run at McCormick & Schmick's this Thursday.

Nick

I've been to McCormick & Schmick's out West ( I think it was Portland), and thought it was a very good. Large selection of fish and shellfish - which was fresh, and simple preparations. Pretty good for a chain - alot more upscale than TGIFs.

johnjohn

"Next up: test run at McCormick & Schmick's this Thursday."  Lowell and I will be there on Sat. Are they similar to Legal Seafoods?

Maybe not Rosie. My res was just pushed back to 9/24. I knew they were'nt going to be ready. Way behind from the looks of it.

I ate twice at McCormick & Kuleto's in San Fran. Same chain. The food, service and decor are a step up from Legal Seafood.

Nick

Just an add-on about McCormick and Schmicks: Ate there once in Boston, and they had at least 5 different types of Oysters. Just to give you an idea that it's nothing like TGIFs.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

Just an add-on about McCormick and Schmicks:  Ate there once in Boston, and they had at least 5 different types of Oysters.  Just to give you an idea that it's nothing like TGIFs.

I once orderd an oyster sampler at M&S (nee kuleto's) and had a very knowledgable "Oyster Sommelier" come out and explain the origin and flavor profile of each different oyster. Impressive, especially for a dinner-house chain.

Nick

Morton's is a very good steakhouse and tends to offer excellent service by the standards of whatever market it's operating in, but it doesn't qualify as top-tier by steak-aficionado standards because it doesn't serve dry-aged steaks. So those of you who are accustomed to and prefer the dry-aged taste aren't going to find Morton's a worthy substitute. Then again it's a whole lot better than Ruth's Chris, so it depends on where you're coming from.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Morton's is a very good steakhouse and tends to offer excellent service by the standards of whatever market it's operating in, but it doesn't qualify as top-tier by steak-aficionado standards because it doesn't serve dry-aged steaks. So those of you who are accustomed to and prefer the dry-aged taste aren't going to find Morton's a worthy substitute. Then again it's a whole lot better than Ruth's Chris, so it depends on where you're coming from.

Just as I thought. But man those crabcakes!

Nick

:smile: