• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: BryanZ - Alchemy

BryanZ

bryan thanks for the update on gary danko. i ate there back when it was new and didn't really think it was so great. now that it has had time to grow into itself, it seems like the food has improved a bit. but i have to agree with your overall assessment.

it was a great blog that really covered so much more than the "week in the life of an eGulleteer"...get home safely and enjoy the rest of your summer at home!

Bryan, thanks for the adventure.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

This has been a wonderful blog, Bryan--the sort of stuff I'd love to have on those Very Special Occasions.

Of course, since you do well at producing the home versions of these, you don't have to wait for special occasions.

If you don't go into the business directly, please keep your writing sideline going (that is, assuming you don't make a career out of that).

Hope the Stanford visit goes well. Richardson Romanesque with red-tile roofs is an intriguing architectural melange, IMO.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thank you everyone for everything, the birthday wishes, the suggestions, the encouragement, the thoughtful discussion. This week has been a lot of fun and I'm glad I've been able to share it with you all in this blog.

I want to ensure, however, that people do not think this is how I eat all the time. Rather than a daily account of my usual eating habits, this blog sort of became an hyper-compressed encapsulation of my food-focused life in the form of my travels, my ideas about food, the types of restaurants I enjoy patronizing, and my voracious appetite (both in the literal and figurative sense) for seeking out the best possible food experiences. I realize that I'm fortunate for having the opportunity to do all this but also for being able to share it with an audience of like-minded people who remind me what I'm all about isn't completely insane.

With that said, anyone who happens to stumble across this blog or who has missed proceedings of the past week should feel free to look back. I've tried to keep this blog from becoming too esoteric, so anyone may easily jump in (or back) at any time; I hope you all agree.

Again, it's been a blast. Thank you. I'm twenty now, but, to be honest, doing this blog has kept my mind off that fact. I look forward to seeing you on the boards and perhaps doing another blog in the future about my dining life at school and (hopefully) the development of Z Kitchen down in the South.

Until next time, take it easy.

ETA: Go and enjoy Ann_T's blog now, she does some great stuff in the kitchen.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Fries

gallery_28660_3229_304013.jpg

It's good to see handcut fries but these weren't as spectacular as I'd heard.  I'm looking forward to doing some further "testing."

It may sound like heresy but IMHO, there is nothing spectacular about them. Perhaps I just don't "get it". The fries are always a disappointment when I go to In & Out. Someone suggested trying them "well done". Anything would be an improvement.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks for the food, dude!

One thing I wish I could change with the shrimp noodles is the extruding process. It's really hard to push them out and kind of a hassle. I would also like the noodles perhaps a little thinner, thus requiring a small hole. This would make extruding even harder.

How about changing your homemade gadget to one that is threaded, so you can drill a hole in the end and put a bar thru? That would greatly increase the pressure you could apply, and take less effort.

"taqueria." ...Though still a bit Americanized overall

What makes you conclude the food was americanized (other than the lack of goat on the menu, perhaps) ?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Bryan: excellent blog, and thanks for sharing your week with us. I wish you great success in your future endeavors.

One thing I wish I could change with the shrimp noodles is the extruding process. It's really hard to push them out and kind of a hassle. I would also like the noodles perhaps a little thinner, thus requiring a small hole. This would make extruding even harder.

I think that using the mechanical advantage of hydraulic pressure will solve the extrusion problem. See the section beginning near the bottom of the page, and continuing on the next page. The greater the piston's diameter relative to the diameter of the extrusion hole, the greater the mechanical advantage. It sounds like some fun with mongo syringes, food-grade tubing, and Swagelok fittings may be in order.

Fries

gallery_28660_3229_304013.jpg

It's good to see handcut fries but these weren't as spectacular as I'd heard.  I'm looking forward to doing some further "testing."

It may sound like heresy but IMHO, there is nothing spectacular about them. Perhaps I just don't "get it". The fries are always a disappointment when I go to In & Out. Someone suggested trying them "well done". Anything would be an improvement.

Maybe they change their oil too often :wink:

Bryan- I'm just getting caught up on this wonderful blog. Awesome job! Happy belated birthday and best of luck with Z Kitchen. If you want those tacos, we Northern NJ types can definitely hook you up...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Bryan, birthday wishes to you, and congratulations on a fine and engaging blog.

Actually, it was a very timely blog for me - I'd just stumbled across Bourdain's show on Ferran Adria, and it was something of a revelation for me (I'd previously viewed molecular gastronomy with a sceptical eye). So there I was, primed and curious about it all, and there you were to talk about it.

I hope to read a lot more about what you are up to - really, you are doing very interesting work. (Looks pretty damned tasty, too). :wink:

Edited by H. du Bois (log)