• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clementine Cake

Veena

While I do eat eggs, I am put off by the idea of eggs in sweet dishes. I usually select eggless cake recipes or use EnerG egg replacer if the recipe calls for one or two eggs. But the Clementine Cake calls for six eggs, probably because there is no flour in the recipe. Has anyone tried this recipe with fewer or without eggs? I would love to try this cake and even have all the ingredients (including almond meal) on hand, but the six-egg thing is holding me back. I have looked up substitution advice on some baking sites and found no acceptable solution. I was thinking of just forging ahead by cutting down the eggs to three and using the egg replacer. Perhaps this will give me a denser, heavier cake? Or will this be a wasted effort unless six and no less than six eggs are used?

Veena

I'm thinking you should throw caution to the wind and prepare the recipe as it was written down.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If it were caution, I would have thrown it to the winds. It's not a health or vegan issue; it's just a little matter of taste - I hate eggy desserts.

Veena

If its using almond flour or other nut flour you need the eggs otherwise it will be as hard as a rock.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If it were caution, I would have thrown it to the winds. It's not a health or vegan issue; it's just a little matter of taste - I hate eggy desserts.

And you'd rather eat egg replacer?

If you hate "eggy" desserts, then don't make it. It's eggy. :blink:

Perhaps, though, it is a dessert that calls for many eggs, but doesn't TASTE eggy. Could be that the almond meal overpowers that part of it which you dislike. My suggestion? Make it "as is" because any substitution you use just won't be as good. Taste it. If you hate it, then slice it up and give it to the neighbors. You'll be able to try something new, and if you don't like it, your neighbors will love you. :wub:

Jason, thanks. I have never baked with nut flour before, so I didn't know that.

Chefpeon, I don't want to get into a discussion on the merits or (lack thereof) of egg replacer. And of course, the obvious answer is to not make it as it is eggy. I wanted to see if anyone has tried deviating from the recipe or if it is even worth doing so. Good to know that it does not taste eggy.

Veena