• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rang Mahal - Is it all that?

I ate a meal at Rang Mahal that was good, but not all that.

I was told I was being taken to the best Indian restaurant in Singapore.

It is certainly one of the prettiest restaurants I have been to. But the food is not all that.

What are your favorite places to eat Indian food in Singapore?

And would one not think that Southern Indian food would be more authentic in Singapore? Which one of the many Southern Indian restaurants would you reccomend?

Hey there Suvir. I also heard that Rang Mahal was good, never

been there yet. I did go to Mumtaz Mahal located in Far East Plaza

on Scotts Road. The food was very spicy, the portions rather small; but

still good evening. The wait staff is friendly, and helpful.

There were a couple groups of Indian families in Mumtaz which is always

a good sign.

• 8 months later...
I never went there.

Have you gone to any of the many SOuth Indian places in the little Indian section of town?

What do you think of them?

The most famous manifestation of South Indian food in Singapore seems to be the "Banana Leaf" restaurants which specialize in a Singaporean-South Indian hybrid "Fish Head Curry". The most famous is Banana Leaf Apollo, but there seem to be a lot of others.

Another famous Singaporean-South Indian dish is murtabak, which is unlike the egg-filled Hyderabadi version and is more like a keema-filled paratha

made from maida. A murtabak w/o filling is called "roti canai" in Singapore /

Malaysia / Indonesia.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

The most famous manifestation of South Indian food in Singapore seems to be the "Banana Leaf" restaurants which specialize in a Singaporean-South Indian hybrid "Fish Head Curry".    The most famous is Banana Leaf Apollo, but there seem to be a lot of others.

I agree about Banana Leaf, there is one also in Kowloon, HKG - In similar vein, Mutthu's Curry on race Course Rd. which serves you like in the small towns in South India - in a banana leaf with servers coming by and pouring vegetables, dal, sambar on our rice. Eat with your hands without any repercussions. I understand Woodlands was to open one - Never got around to asking my friends last time around about it.

Holiday Inn has a fairly decent Indian Restaurant. This is up there with Rang Mahal - because of the upper income groups associated with the hotels, who tend to not explore the food courst of SIN :smile:

anil

• 3 months later...

Along Food Alley in Chinatown is a good northern Indian place, I think it is called Moti Mahal. An interesting experience is the vegetarian restaurant Annalakshmi which I believe is southern - all the waiters are volunteers affiliated with the religious charity that runs the restaurant, so it's almost like being in the home of a gracious host. Food is buffet style. For banana leaf I prefer the Civil Servant's Club along Holland/Napier - if you ask they'll give you extra marsala sauce. The Islamic Restaurant has great breads.

V.

I did go to Mumtaz Mahal located in Far East Plaza

on Scotts Road.  The food was very spicy, the portions rather small; but

still good evening.  The wait staff is friendly, and helpful. 

There were a couple groups of Indian families in Mumtaz which is always

a good sign.

My aunt use to bring me there everytime I was in Singapore back in the early 90s, never did seem all that crowded though but thought the food was good. Is it still popular?