• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Englewood

Lemons

I am taking my 16 yo granddaughter to an appointment in Englewood next month and am looking for recommendations for a nice restaurant to have lunch. We will be in the Englewood Hospital locale, but we won't limit ourselves to that area. She is a big fan of Japanese food, but again, we are not limited to just Japanese. I understand that there are a lot of good restaurants in that area that she might enjoy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Saigon R. Vietnamese. Probably the best one in the entire area. If you want really good middle eastern, try Bennies. For sushi I reccomend either Wild Ginger or Daruma.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I don't reccomend eating at Cafe Angelique in hot weather. Its a very old building (the original Tenafly rail station) and has terrible ventilation.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Almost nobody eats inside at Cafe Angelique. As mentioned in my post, the outdoor seating is lovely, wrapped around 3 sides of an historic building, with a view of the downtown park. 5 minutes from Englewood Hospital.

I posted more about my opinion regarding Cafe Angelique on its thread, but to sum up... when someone is asking specifically for a nice restaurant in Englewood, possibly Japanese, I think a sandwich/salad/iced tea cafe in the next town doesn't exactly fit the bill.

Others above have made some excellent suggestions. Wild Ginger is excellent, tradition/NYC style sushi restaurant, but its usually easier to park your car and get a table (or sushi bar seats) at Daruma (on Dean), they also have more "funky" rolls. If she doesn't want Japanese, Palisades Avenue is an international restaurant row:

• Bennies (Lebanese)
    It's Greek to Me
    Kratiem (Thai)
    Saigon R (Vietnamese)
    El Paso (not a "nice restaurant," it's a bodega with a few tables, but the best tacos and Pueblo style quesadillas)
    There's a couple Colombian diners
    Sangia Sake, mixes Spanish and Sushi, but I didn't really like it, go to Tapas de Espana (on Dean next to Daruma) instead

The only problem with Englewood restaurants is parking. Sometimes you just park when you find a spot and eat what's nearby. :wink:

Well, according to Yahoo! maps, downtown Tenafly is 1.8 miles from the Englewood Hospital, and downtown Englewood is 1.4 miles. I don't think the political borders of the towns (no border checks!) is a factor in making a restaurant suggestion.

Also, the parking in Englewood is quite daunting, parking would be much easier with lots of angle parking around the old Tenafly RR station. (No trains anymore, just one freight car spur about once/biweekly.)

There is also an imminent opening of a new Asian restaurant on River Edge Rd and Tenafly road, nice picture windows and plenty of parking. Name escapes me at the moment.

I don't think the political borders of the towns (no border checks!) is a factor in making a restaurant suggestion. 

i think that's a very good point. and Lemons even said that he/she wasn't limited to the "area." i constantly get asked for suggestions in Ridgewood, and almost always end up sending people to neighboring towns, with great success i should add.

if you can snag some reasonable parking, Wild Ginger is a great choice. i recall some kitchen items that were quite good in addition to the sushi. they've been chugging along for quite some time now.

Maybe I've been to Wild Ginger on off nights, all three visits I've made, but I've never found it to be as great as I've heard. When was the last time folks made a visit?

Maybe I've been to Wild Ginger on off nights, all three visits I've made, but I've never found it to be as great as I've heard. When was the last time folks made a visit?

Its been at least 3 years for me, but I didn't think it was as good as Sakura Bana in Ridgewood. I vastly prefer the atmosphere at Daruma anyway.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

the only time i've been there was maybe 5 years ago. i'd love to be able to comment on the food, but the staff there was so rude that it's the only time i've walked out (before ordering).

My family has always been a fan of Baumgart's. A chinese restaurant in an old soda fountain on the main drag on the hill in Englewood(Palisade Ave???). However, I am in agreement with the poster who lamented Englewood's parking issues.

D