• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unique Sauvignon Blanc

Macarons&Mozart

Hi All--

When I was in Vienna a few weeks ago I came across a really great wine that I have never tried before. It was a Sauvignon Blanc from Italy (Friuli I believe) that was fermented like a red wine- with its skins and seeds. It was rich and golden in color, like a rich old white burgundy, and more viscous and alcoholic than a normal sauvignon blanc. Are any of you familiar with sauvignon blancs produced like this? Unfortunately I forgot to take down the information of the wine. I think I may write to the restaurant (Le Ciel at the Grand Hotel Wien). Thanks!

Robert

Sounds possibly like a barrel fermented or malo fermented Sauvignon Blanc based on your description of the colour and textural richness. A number of Tuscan Sauvignon Blanc's are made in this style as well veering away from the NZ style.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Three examples come to mind:

Sicilian Tasca Sauvignon that may or may not be blended with Insolia.

Israeli Sauvignon Blanc from the Tzoraa winery.

Sardigna style whites like the Vermentino though I am not sure if they use Sauvignon.

The examples above are unoaked.

Did you feel the wine had an oaky character to it ?

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

just thought i would add that many Italian whites are feremented with the skins, seeds and althought this is not a common practise in the americas, it does produce a fantastic product. the name for this technique is called "Pazzo Fermentation," which if you know italian, you know Pazzo translates to "crazy" or "unorthodox." Randal Grahm from Bonny Doon has a pazzo chardonnay is his DEWN category in the shop bonny doon section of his website. check it out, its very good. ill throw up a WTN when i open the next bottle.

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com