• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dumplings in the Morristown Area

scott123

When I lived in NYC, I ate some great dumplings. Oh boy, were they wonderful. A thin wrapper, no strange ingredients (no mushrooms!), fresh pork, scallions, well seasoned- they were amazing. Then I moved out to here and ever since, it's been doughey city.

Any leads on extraordinary dumplings in the Morristown area? I don't care if the restaurant sucks, all I care about is the dumplings- that's all I'll be getting- to go, so the decor is meaningless to me as well.

Surrounding towns- Madison, Chatham, Florham Park, Bernardsville, Mendham, E. Hanover, are fine, but not too much further than that. Sorry about the limited area but I can't travel that far.

P.S. If anyone has a lead on a phenomenal chicken dumpling, an even scarcer commodity, I'd like those as well.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Scott:

First, I must ask what's wrong with mushrooms in dumplings?

Okay...I know you don't mean pierogies because mushrooms are a favorite ingredient in those, but your mention of "fresh pork and scallions" suggests that you mean Chinese or Japanese.

Please; fill in the details for us!

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Sorry, I thought the pork and scallions implied Chinese dumplings.

Chinese dumplings. Mushrooms are, indeed, good in pierogies, but I'm not fond of them, especially the Chinese variety, in dumplings, or egg rolls, for that matter.

Scott:

Here in the Garden State, Japanese and Korean dumplings also use these ingredients - and they may be a great thing to try too.

I've found mushrooms in many Chinese dumpling recipes (look for my upcoming book "A World of Dumplings" for more on this, it will be out next spring). I too, have never seen a mushroom in an egg roll, but nothing would surprise me; especially in those big, thick-skinned ones that take out shops serve.

In any case, while New Jersey has Chinese restaurants as great as any anywhere, they aren't evenly distributed. So your dumpling search may require driving up to Bergen or down to Middlesex Counties in order to find the ultimate. Down here, they'll be at Grand Shanghai in Edison or Shanghai Park in Highland Park. I'll defer to Jason on anything North of Route 22.

BTW...should you want to go for the mushrooms, Prima in Linden is my vote for best pierogi in the area.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

If you like Sichuan style dumplings, (boiled smaller dumplings in a spicy/sweet/garlicky sauce)you can try China Chalet in Florham Park. Very different from Northern or Cantonese dumplings, however. I think they have "normal" dumplings too but I've never tried them, and have no idea if they're worth ordering. Pretty much everyone that I've seen orders the sichuan style ones.