• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee in Toronto...

Adrian3891

So I just moved back to TO from Montreal and I'm dieing for a good coffee. In Montreal I frequented Art Java and Olympico and am hoping that there's something at least in the ballpark here. I had an espresso at the Scene It Cafe on Queen and it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. Most of all, I'd like some recommendations around Yonge and Eg/Mt. P and Eg.

I don't think you'll find anything remotely close to Art Java (I didn't think much of Olympico but I only had espresso there once) in Toronto anywhere let alone the areas you mention. You could try Grano, east side of Yonge between Eg. and Davisville. The coffee isn't great but it's a nice looking place and they try. Sorry to be so pessimistic (especially given your posts on the Montreal board) but it's based on very extensive sampling.

Edited by brab (log)

le gourmand is quite decent and the pastries are some of the best in the city (maybe top 8)

jet fuel is good (there are a few locations, one on parliament n of carleton i think) I like i deal an awful lot, on nassau in kensington. alternative grounds in roncesvalles is also good.

I don't know of anything that's consistently fantastic, but I don't really know what's uptown either.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Bulldog has amazing coffee. The latte art alone is worth the trip downtown. Its a five minute walk from jet fuel another favourite. A little more 'hardcore', the bike couriers frequent this place.

I agree that Bulldog is quite excellent. The barrista won the Canadian National Barrista Competition, so can arguably be called THE BEST espresso in Canada. I've been playing with latte art at home, but come nowhere close to the proficiency of the proprietor of Bulldog. The shop is immaculately clean and kitchy/cozy...a nice respite from corporate java joints. Nice La San Marco machine too!

b Espresso Bar on Queen just east of Church is decent...uses Illy. It is almost next to my office, so I go there quite often. Decent coffee but it depends a bit on whether they are in a rush and who is tending the espresso machine.

Also espressos are not bad at Bar Italia in Little Italy. Mercatto (on Toronto St.) is decent if they aren't in a rush...that said, I had the comment that I'm the only person picky enough to ever turn back coffee besides the owner's father! :biggrin:

Edited by renart (log)

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

• 5 weeks later...
There's an espresso bar at Rosedale, On Yonge street across from the starbucks.  I dont know the name, but you'll see alot of people on the patio.

Yes, that's Cafe Doria. Quite decent and Italian. For French and good croissants, try Patachou at the north end of the block.

Also quite good is Black Camel, this is a little hole in the wall right across from Rosedale subway station on the east side of Yonge. Good espresso, but even better sandwiches! I've had the breakfast sandwich one morning, and will usually take a bbq brisket sandwich on the plane with me when I have to fly.

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

• 1 month later...

ditto on Patatouch for espresso. for a true cup of coffee the best mug is served at Pulp Kitchen on Queen near Pape. i've never had the espresso but thier shade grown organic coffee is freshly roasted, freshly ground, freshly brewed and without it's equal in my experience.

and their brunch menu is lovely.

"They tried to stay in from the cold and the wind making love and making their dinner" - Fiest

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'll be visiting TO in early July and need some recommendations for coffee. Will be staying on Queen Street West around the Eaton Centre so any places around there would be great. Thanks.

Hi, I'll be visiting TO in early July and need some recommendations for coffee. Will be staying on Queen Street West around the Eaton Centre so any places around there would be great. Thanks.

Hi Panda,

If you have the chance to meet up with Endy_, jenC or I, we could perhaps convince (although it doesn't take much to convince) Barista Matt to pull more than a few shots in your honour. :wink: We're waiting for him to set up shop, but knowing that he's brining in the magic from out west and also supplies us with Intelligentsia coffee, we've no doubt that Toronto's in for a treat. :smile:

Matt's most recent mention in the Toronto Star

Edited by Renka (log)

Hi Panda,

If you have the chance to meet up with Endy_, jenC or I, we could perhaps convince (although it doesn't take much to convince) Barista Matt to pull more than a few shots in your honour.  :wink:  We're waiting for him to set up shop, but knowing that he's brining in the magic from out west and also supplies us with Intelligentsia coffee, we've no doubt that Toronto's in for a treat.  :smile:

Matt's most recent mention in the Toronto Star

Hi Renka, thanks for the invite. Hopefully Matt has time, but if he doesn't it's understandable. If you could let me know in advance I'll try and make room in my schedule. Six days in TO really doesn't seem to be enough :raz:.

• 3 weeks later...

a lot of the staff migrate between the top coffee shops in the city. The top 3 that are always mentioned are....

1) Bulldog (as previously mentioned)

3) Dark Horse (queen & broadview)

3) Mercury (queen & logan)

Edited by aser (log)

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

Bah, too late for me now. Only coffee shop I ended up going to was B Espresso and was pretty happy with the coffee there. Also thanks to Matt for providing us with some much needed caffeine after our flight.

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up/FYI to all the coffee lovers in T.O., Matthew Lee (aka Barista Matt) has set up shop at the intersection of College and Bathurst, where you can find the only Synesso and Clover machines in the city, as well as supplies of Intelligentsia's Black Cat. With many events scheduled in the near future, those who are serious addicts may want to take note of the Esmerelda coffee (world's most expensive coffee) cupping that is scheduled for mid-October (supply is limited).

Personal bias or not, to experience some truly wonderful brew make sure you stop by Manic Coffee and see what everyone's starting to rave about (last I heard, Matt's already met up with a number of publications reporting on the shop). :smile: