• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That Coffee from Stratford-Upon -Avon

apronstrings

When at "The Dirty Duck, aka The Black Swan, at Stratford-Upon-Avon, we enjoyed the most delicious sweetened iced coffee. When I asked how it was made, the manager said they used a product known as kemp, and that it could be found in British grocery stores. He said it was chicory (or chicory like). I could not locate it anywhere ( in the UK). The closest I came was buying chicory here in New York, but I could not in any way duplicate the drink I had enjoyed in England. People who have visited the UK since then have not been able to locate it for me either. What is kemp? Did anyone ever have this drink? And how is it made??? :wacko:

When at "The Dirty Duck, aka The Black Swan, at Stratford-Upon-Avon, we enjoyed the most delicious sweetened iced coffee.  When I asked how it was made, the manager said they used a product known as kemp, and that it could be found in British grocery stores.  He said it was chicory (or chicory like). I could not locate it anywhere ( in the UK). The closest I came was buying chicory here in New York, but I could not in any way duplicate the drink I had enjoyed in England. People who have visited the UK since then have not been able to locate it  for me either. What is kemp? Did anyone ever have this drink? And how is it made??? :wacko:

Dear Sabiha-- Being from Noo Yawk, I shudda realized the power of a regional accent!! Thank you so very much. We just ordered several bottles of C-A-M-P. We have been looking for it for years! Can hardly wait for my new arrival. Fuhgeddaboutit! :biggrin::biggrin: