• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago - Three days, three nights, three chicks

and no husbands or kids! Help us decide where to eat and drink ...

I'm meeting my friends P and L (California and Florida, respectively), in Chicago at the end of July. We have reservations at Alinea on Saturday night and are looking for other ideas. We'll be staying in the Gold Coast area. It'll be one of my friend's first times in Chicago; I haven't been in a couple of years but used to go all the time for work and play.

Anyway, our "maybe" list includes

Charlie Trotter's (I haven't been in 6 or 7 years, but friends mentioned it. )

Tru (will we have to wear skirts?)

Coco Pazzo / Spiaggia (Heh. I have misbehaved at both places; are they still good?)

Avenues (Met Chef GEB in Aspen a couple of years ago; loved his food and he was terrific to us students)

Frontera (ehhhh ... maybe.)

Plus, any really good bars?Since my friends are true ladies, I can't talk them into seeing if one of my old haunts is still there: a Kielbasa stand off Rush Street, open at 3 a.m. Of course, I'd probably break a hip from excitement. :rolleyes:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I'd give consideration to Custom House for lunch, Sunday brunch or dinner -- a place where I recently had an outstanding dining experience. Top-notch fresh ingredients; nicely layered flavors; some very nice in-house-created drinks; flawless service all in a contemporary but warm room. The creator (Shawn McLain) won the James Beard 2006 Best Chef Midwest.

Another spot consistently raved-about worth your serious consideration is Blackbird. It, too, is available for lunch or dinner and Chef Kahan is also a Beard Award winner (2004). High-quality food; great service; and a contemporary, cool room.

You can't go wrong with either choice.

You probably don't want to do another high-end place (Tru or Trotters) since you're already doing Alinea. If nothing else, the other options will seem boring in comparison.

Coco Pazzo is an ok choice, but it can be loud and crowded.

You can't go wrong at any of McClain's restaurants: Spring, Green Zebra, or Custom House. I was just at Custom House a couple of weeks ago for dinner and had a great meal (if you go, be sure to get the quail appetizer and the veal cheeks)

Having just eaten at Blackbird last night, I can't recommend it highly enough (mmmm, grilled pork belly).

To throw another place into the mix, Naha is always very good, while flying consistently below the radar.

If you're looking for Sunday brunch, the Ritz Carlton is probably the best in town. Again, I was just there a couple of weeks ago and it was spectacular.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

You probably don't want to do another high-end place (Tru or Trotters) since you're already doing Alinea. If nothing else, the other options will seem boring in comparison.

although alinea is spectacular, i dont think you will be bored with other high end places. each offers a unique experience.

I would look at MOTO. you certainly wouldn't be bored with that. also if you dont mind going to lincoln park, TSUKI is very nice, very chic sushi. might want to check out Blue Bayou on southport if you find yourself on the northside, nice bar, good food. Trotter's is always an option, just a classic, but if you've been there why not try something else. Blackbird is always the talk of the town, havent been there but its on my list.

As for what i dont recommned. Spiaggia is overrated in my mind, dont know if the cafe is any better, i know the prices are cheaper though. NoMi is also overrated for the price, and service wasnt too good when i was there.

ooh and if youre the wine crowd, hit Bin36!

Have fun ladies

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

Plus, any really good bars?Since my friends are true ladies, I can't talk them into seeing if one of my old haunts is still there:  a Kielbasa stand off Rush Street, open at 3 a.m.  Of course, I'd probably break a hip from excitement.  :rolleyes:

Hmph. I guess that means the Twisted Spoke is out.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

although alinea is spectacular, i dont think you will be bored with other high end places. each offers a unique experience.

The only reason I say this is because the first time I went to Trotter's, it was the night after the first time I had been to Trio with Achatz as the Chef. The food at Trotter's, while quite good, just seemed so pedestrian after having my mind completely blown the night before.

ETA: Tsuki is a great call, especially if this pack of women is still in town on a Monday night. All food is 50% off for tables of all women (same deal goes for men on Wednesdays).

Edited by jesteinf (log)

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

The only reason I say this is because the first time I went to Trotter's, it was the night after the first time I had been to Trio with Achatz as the Chef. The food at Trotter's, while quite good, just seemed so pedestrian after having my mind completely blown the night before.

ETA: Tsuki is a great call, especially if this pack of women is still in town on a Monday night. All food is 50% off for tables of all women (same deal goes for men on Wednesdays).

while i do feel that the experiences must be taken within context (trotters is high end classic and alinea is high end progressive), i do understand what you are saying. but given the cheange id go to either of them again and as often as possible! :biggrin:

wow, 50% off mon and wed, sweet, youve given me a reason to pull out the charge card again. :laugh:

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

I would recommend Avec. I just had dinner there the other night, and loved it. There is a blow by blow on the Blackbird/Avec thread. I always eat a lot of Mexican there but all the places I know are a wee bit west of the Gold Coast. But if you are at the corner of Western and Milwaukee try Arturo’s (The regular one not the seafood one) Best Al Pastor ever! And Mia Francisca (SP) Clark and School, is lovely. The beef carpaccio is not to be missed.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

If I remember correctly, you externed at Blue Hill. If you want something Dan Barber-like, I highly recommend North Pond. Plus I think they have al fresco dining soon?

I myself am going back to the city to visit soon (I externed in Chicago), and snagged a reservation at Alinea. I have 4 days there, and besides Alinea, two other "for sure" places that we've decided on are Green Zebra (just because I need to visit) and either Blackbird/Avec (depending on the mood for the night) I highly recommend all three. I had a great, great meal at Spiaggia last year, and though I did enjoy MOTO, it was probably the least favorite of the nice places we went to.

I had a friend who went to Trotter's recently, and said it was wonderful food, but the prices didn't make the food any sort of value to him. Other places I recommend are Sweets and Savories because it's great food with service and prices to match, and though I've heard a mixed bag of reviews of it, I really enjoyed Le Lan for an interesting take on Vietnamese food.

Also to everyone else, I have one more night open that I'm looking to fill with a nice place... nothing over the top expensive... around 100 a head including tax/tip without alcohol. Again, we're already going to alinea, zebra, and Avec or Blackbird, so I'd like to keep a good variety. I'm not a gigantic fan of old-style French, however. Also, we're planning on hitting up Hot Dougs, Weiner Circle, and Mr. Beef for lunch, if you could give me any suggestions on other places where we could get a good lunch under 10-15 bucks, we're staying at the Westin which I think is on the Mag Mile. It doesn't have to be greasy spoon like the other places I mention, and actually it would be better if they had vegetarian options also (my girlfriend is a vegetarian.)

Hope this helps FabFoodBabe (a little) and hope I didn't impede on your thread. Haha.

Ah, Tetsujustin, I was wondering how you are! Where did you Extern, in Chicago? A guy from my team was at Trio.

I think for a Dan Barber experience, I'll go to himself, especially since he's 15 minutes from here (and still cooks for me). Plus, my friends really, really want to go to Charlie Trotter's. I'm going to try and get a table today, but with only three weeks' notice, am not confident.

And yeah, our California friend is a real wine-geek (arent' we all when we live there? :smile: ), so we'll see if she's interested in Bin36 and Tsuki.

We're all coming back to reality on Sunday, so no 50% off night for us. But brunch will definitely happen.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Hey, FFB, you won't have to wear skirts at TRU; nice pants will do.

I love Cafe Spiaggia for its (relative) casual atmosphere and nice views. Its prices are not as stratospheric as Spiaggia's, but you'll still spend upwards of $100/pp if you order any kind of good wine. Same high quality as Spiaggia, but with "simpler" dishes.

Ditto to the previous suggestion of Custom House - I love the place.

For a unique "NY experience" lunch, try RL. Dinner's not as exciting because the menu's so old fashioned.

Have a GREAT time.

And sorry about Josie. :sad:

Staying in the Gold Coast, you're in the immediate vicinity of Sarah's Pastries and Candies (thread somewhere in the Heartland Forum). Don't miss it!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

...we're planning on hitting up Hot Dougs, Weiner Circle, and Mr. Beef for lunch, if you could give me any suggestions on other places where we could get a good lunch under 10-15 bucks, we're staying at the Westin which I think is on the Mag Mile. It doesn't have to be greasy spoon like the other places I mention, and actually it would be better if they had vegetarian options also (my girlfriend is a vegetarian.)...

There is a very good, not very greasy spoon, Costa Rican joint called Irazu @ 1865 N. Milwaukee Ave. (almost @ Western) that does an absolutely killer vegetarian burrito...

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

...we're planning on hitting up Hot Dougs, Weiner Circle, and Mr. Beef for lunch, if you could give me any suggestions on other places where we could get a good lunch under 10-15 bucks, we're staying at the Westin which I think is on the Mag Mile. It doesn't have to be greasy spoon like the other places I mention, and actually it would be better if they had vegetarian options also (my girlfriend is a vegetarian.)...

There is a very good, not very greasy spoon, Costa Rican joint called Irazu @ 1865 N. Milwaukee Ave. (almost @ Western) that does an absolutely killer vegetarian burrito...

I really like Irazu. If you do go there, make sure you order your burrito with the mushrooms. They're especially terrific that way.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Staying in the Gold Coast, you're in the immediate vicinity of Sarah's Pastries and Candies (thread somewhere in the Heartland Forum). Don't miss it!

Alex is correct. Here is a link to that thread:

Sarah's Pastries and Candies - Chicago, Great Pastries, Candy and Coffee

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I really like Irazu. If you do go there, make sure you order your burrito with the mushrooms. They're especially terrific that way.

=R=

Yeah, veg burrito with mushrooms and a mango shake. Dine al fresco.

Edited cause I can't spell.

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Enough has been commented about the food. So where to drink...

There is a recommendation for Bin 36, which is an okay wine bar. In its favor are a good location and a showy room. You'll be able to strike up conversation rather easily.

Other wine bars (trying to keep the cab rides short):

Avec - also mentioned already, but not much said about wine in this thread yet. Don't expect to recognize any of the wines on the list. The owner prides himself in esoteric selections. Ask for a recommendation.

Cru Cafe - on Wabash at Delware (or Chestnut). It closed for remodeling and may reopen by the time you are there. It's going to be a pre-dinner stop for you probably.

Randolph Street Wine Bar - gets more of a truly wine geeky crowd, but the second floor has great views. Much further west of Avec

Quartino - A quartino is a 1/4 carafe. Good and reasonably priced wine selections. Food is small plates, which are pretty good. State and Ontario. Not to be confused with Osteria via Stato next door (also serving wine in a quartino).

Grape Street and Vine - Piano bar with wines and 'tinis. Mature crowd (no idea how "old" you ladies are). Ontario near St. Clair (east of Michigan).

For other bars, I'm confident you'll do well on your own. But one I've always liked, not far from where you are probably staying is P.J. Clarke's on State north of Division. For some reason, it doesn't get the usual Rush/Division ilk and seems to have more people who live in Gold Coast and Old Town that out-of-towners. And this out-of-towner has always been able to have a good time and meet some interesting people there.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Be warned...Irazu was on Check, Please last night.  I'm not sure how old the episode was, but places do tend to get significantly busier after being featured.  If I just saw an old episode, feel free to ignore.

At least a couple of years old. And when it first aired, it was packed for a few weeks. These days I find that there are more people ordering veggie stuff, where did that come from (I have not seen the Check Please episode). For lunch the sandwiches or burritos should be sufficient. For hungry appetites get one of their dinner plates. Note that the owners and operators are the same people and live only two blocks away.

Steak torta and oatmeal shake for me.

... and oatmeal shake for me.

YES!! I love the oatmeal shake! I thought I was the only one drinking those. I've been to Irazu a couple of times and not had anything bad.

Also, on topic-- doing two high-end places in such a short span might be just too much food, yanno? I know Tru has a la carte options, but I don't remember that Trotter's does. I say go to Tru, get a glass of champagne, the caviar staircase, then skip to dessert.

Of course, Hot Doug's is a Chicago original.

http://www.hotdougs.com/specials.htm

Have fun!