• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tour De France

Couldn't find in a search whether this has been talked about before...

We're hoping to have a Tour De France finis soiree!

Anyone have food ideas, besides the usual?

Something not just French, since this year they are traveling to other countries?

Merci!

Philly Francophiles

Paris Brest

Paris-Brest is a ring-shaped pastry, filled with cream and sprinkled with almonds and powdered sugar. It was created in 1891 by a Parisian pastry cook whose pâtisserie was situated along the route of the bicycle race from Paris to Brest. His idea was to bake his éclairs in the shape of bicycle wheels in honor of all the cyclists. Great marketing idea! This race was a precursor to the Tour de France which was started in 1903.

more info: http://frenchfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa070402a.htm

I know this is standard but I love it, my SIL makes it every year and it's the first plate to be emptied at the desert table.

Something not just French, since this year they are traveling to other countries?

You might want to throw in some good 'ol American apple pie, because we could see another US rider (or a score of them) on the podium again this year!

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

We are lucky that Milwaukee has Bastille Days which coincides with 'SuperWeek' http://www.internationalcycling.com/superweek101.shtml and a Criterium near by. We will have a bottle of Champagne, Brie, French bread and assorted sausages while we watch the race.

For the finish of the tour we usually have Champagne again with escargot or foie of some kind using Hudson Valley followed by a Nicoise salad. I am usually asleep by 6pm because I will have ridden about 40 miles on my Bianchi after watching the finish on OLN. I expect to see Hincapie wearing Yellow into Paris. -Dick

One intrepid eGer spoke to me of a galette de sarrasan

savoury crepe is spread with hot mustard and folded around a hot pork sausage

Naguere's description. Sounds lovely.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I expect to see Hincapie wearing Yellow into Paris. -Dick

I'd like to see that as well, but suspect that it might by Landis instead. Therefore, I suggest some good 'ol American apple pie.

Should be especially appropriate for the TT stage tomorrow!

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 3 weeks later...