• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

City Place Steakhouse

jasper

I am working as a consultant on this new steakhouse chain that is set to open in November/December. It is going to be a moderately priced New York City theme steakhouse with HUGE portions, and brick oven pizza as well. Think same price point as Charlie Browns, but much higher level of food quality. It will be located in the old North American Lobster Company space in Carlstadt on Rt 17 South.

City Place Steakhouse

Edited by jasper (log)

Good luck. Would you say this would be like an Arthur's with brick oven pizza? I know Charlie Brown's claims to be a Steak House but I couldn't imagine ordering a steak there.

Any of what you did at Venue going to sneak into the menu here? There's lots of ways to riff on the traditional steak house menu.

If this place is smart they'll steal...ahem I mean ask EJEBUD (Aka Amazing Hot Dog in Verona) for his style of french fry cooking secrets. YUM! ! ! and ask Silver Oak Bistro for help with a dish that resembles Rags n Fungus to accompany their steaks. One or the other would be a god-like side dish with any meat. :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

let's get to the important stuff:  will their be a bar?

There will be a full bar with 12 different beers on tap. There will definetely be no signs of Venue cuisine at this place. This will be a comfortable casual place with great food, and plenty of it. It should be a good addition to the area. I dont want to hash out too much info right now because alot of things are still under discussion. But I will update you as things are finalized with the menu etc.

• 5 months later...

i'm already impressed that they're going out of their way to state "USDA dry-aged prime" and "choice."

and the option to top your steak with a fried egg? brilliant.

a 24 oz porterhouse is likely more a t-bone. i prefer porterhouse for two. the thickness lends itself to wonderful char and m/r.

looks like a good addition to the area. i'm looking forward to checking it out.

I passed by the other day on the way to the Devils game. Took a quick look, while trying to not take my eyes of the road (Rt. 17 you know). I could be way off here, but it seems to be a long way away. I am not in the construction business or anything of the like, and I have often been amazed at how fast buildings, houses, places, etc. get done -- so I guess we will soon see.

Eric

Edited by ELA (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Drove past there today...the sign says Coming Soon and Now Hiring, so they must be getting closer. Awnings are up...they read Bar/Grill/Brick Oven/Steaks.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 months later...

reports on this place suggest that it has opened in some capacity. every attempt that i've made to contact the place regarding hours. has been met with the phone ringing off the hook, a recorded message telling me that no one is available to take the call, or fax signals. a pretty dodgey way to open a business i'd think.

does anyone have any real and accurate info whatsoever on this place?

edited to remove the comment that the hours are posted on the website. theyr'e not.

Edited by tommy (log)

eye rolling = attempt at humor...

i dig.

any idea *when* they're open? i know one poster went to lunch only to find the place closed. i myself went weeks ago for dinner, only to find it not even close to being completed. probably my fault, but the website sure didn't suggest that they weren't close to opening.

I just called, because I'm sure they're just playing with Tommy when they see his number pop... :raz:

According to their pre-recorded message, they're open Sun-Thurs from 11am-midnight, and Fri-Sat from 11am - 1am. (Except when they're not?)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

They are open 7 days a week from 4-1pm.

Call to make sure.

well, the last time i was actually able to get through to the place (to a recording), it was "11 to 12". if i could call to make sure, i wouldn't have posted the question here. see my first post regarding their phone system.

at this point i've written the place off anyway.

thanks.