• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any white rum on the US market that's not aged?

mbanu

Are there any brands of white rum on the US market that haven't been aged at all? Not rhum agricole, industrial rum. Most of the bottles I've looked at either don't provide any info, or seem to have done the Puerto Rican thing and just carbon filtered an aged rum to make the white.

Any ideas?

Puerto Rican rums are supposed to be aged a year before they're bottled. But there are a lot of rums from the Virgin Islands bottled under a variety of labels which aren't aged. A few weeks ago, I was introduced to a rum called Calypso from Barbados which doesn't appear to be aged. On Barbados ESA Fields isn't aged.

There are also a few rums bottled in Kentucky which haven't seen the inside of a barrel.

And then there's Prichard's Crystal White Rum. This rum isn't aged but is filtered numerous times and has underlying fruit flavors. Of the unaged white rums, I can recommend Prichard's if you're looking for a nice rum. If, on the other hand, you're looking for the cheapest rum on the market, there are others.

I'm not quite sure why you're looking for unaged industrial rum, but I hope this helps.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I'm not quite sure why you're looking for unaged industrial rum, but I hope this helps.

Two reasons.

The first is because I've never tasted unaged rum, and I hope it will give me a better understanding of how aging changes flavor.

Secondly, I'm trying to replicate a trick that Don the Beachcomber used to do in his drinks. He'd take unaged and extra-aged rums from the same distillery and then he'd combined the two in different ratios to get just the right amount of "aged" flavor for his drinks, sort of a quick and dirty susbstitute to having multiple bottlings of the same rum at different ages.

Is the Wray & Nephew white overproof aged?

Nope it's unaged. Rum in the rawest sense. Bottled at 126 proof. And the top selling overproofed rum on the market.

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

MB,

I may be wrong, but I assume that Cachaca is technically unaged rum.  It is distilled from sugar cane.

Ed will have the definitive answer.

Tim

Some Cacachas are unaged but there are quite a few that get to spend some time in Brazillian oak barrels. These are normally pot-stilled "Handmade" Cachacas as opposed to the industrial type. Yes technically they can be called rum because they are distilled from sugar cane juice but so are some vodkas and gins. But we don't dare call those products rum! :biggrin:

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

Macoucherie from Dominica do a white unaged rum. Pure cane Fire Water.  :shock:

Yes, Macoucherie is a little different from a lot of other rums as it's made from sugar cane juice and then distilled to a higher proof, but it's made the way people like to drink their spirit in Dominica.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.