• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gut Gefressen: Eating German Food in NYC

Gustibus

So I've read over the topic from long ago about the presence of German restaurants in New York, but in honor of the current World Cup coming to head (beer joke) in Germany right now, I wanted to form a more definitive list on German food favorites and where to find them in New York. I've been to Zum Schneider, and appreciate the food, but I'm really aching for some frisches mett on a nice brotchen, perhaps some schwinehaxe, and maybe a place that serves a Kopi among their beers. Any input? I dont have high hopes for finding any of these particular things, but its worth a shot.

Translations: Frisches mett is, near as i can tell, cured ground pork meat tartar served cold with onions; derived from mettwurst.

a brotchen is a german roll, sort of similar to portugese rolls.

Schwinehaxe is pork knuckle, fried until delicious

Kopi is a Konig Pilsner. Not in a bottle, theres not real point in going to a bar to drink out of a bottle unless your just there to get drunk. which is valid in it self, I guess.

Loreley on Rivington has risen to the top of my rankings of German restaurants/beerhalls in Manhattan. The Heidelberg seems to be resting on past glory. Rolf's sole purpose seems to be decorating for Christmas. Zum Schneider is great but can get a little too crowded and fratty for my tastes.

The menu is pretty basic (sausage, schnitzel, etc.), the beer list is fairly extensive (usually about 10 beers on tap), but best of all there is an outdoor space behind the restaurant with about 15 picnic tables.

• 1 month later...

I'm just came across this web site while searching for something totally different and thought it would be of interest to all of you looking for German food in the NY area. Though it's called Germany in NYC, it seems to cover the metro area.

Ilene