• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Hill/Cello

Blue Hill Co-chef Michael Anthony began working at Daniel in 1995. Understanding that Mike had long left Daniel by the time you began your reporting, did you happen to come across favorable discussions by Daniel kitchen or dining room team personnel relating to Blue Hill or Mike? :wink:

The Daniel management team had a recent Christmas party at Cello. According to L Brenner's "The Fourth Star" (2002), they were "feasting on semismoked tuna and avocado salad with yuzu vinaigrette, hamachi carpaccio with ginger, olive oil, and marinated beets, seared Maine scallops and grilled foie gras with ketchup [!] emulsion, bay scallops and foie gras risotto with white truffles, *marinated Chilean sea bass with acacia honey and parsnip puree*, potato-crusted halibut with a capuccino of porcini mushrooms -- all washed down with Clos Pegase Chardonnay 'Mitsuko's Vineyard' 1998 and Volnay, Jean-Marc Boillot 1998. . . ."  :wink:

Also, if you are comfortable discussing it, could you describe why the Boulud team chose Cello for the Christmas party described in your book? For instance, is Cello highly regarded by Boulud or A Lee, or is there some connection between Laurent Tourondel and Boulud of which I am not yet aware? :huh:

I believe there was probably some buzz in the kitchen when Blue Hill opened (if memory serves, it was during 2000, the year I spent there), but I don't recall any specifics.  

Leslie -- Note it's understandable you may not have recalled discussions of Blue Hill. When the restaurant opened, the chefs were Dan and Alex Urena (the latter also from Bouley Bakery and not necessarily having connections with Daniel). Mike Anthony may not have joined BH by the end of the period in question (?). :wink: