• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Richmond Virginia

5 hours ago, pumpkinIT said:

Hello! I will be spending a few days in Richmond in October. Any updates? We come from Italy, so we do not want Italian food 😁. We eat everything, provided it's good! Thanks in advance

@pumpkinIT - I live in the area and would be glad to help.  Please give me a little more information about what you like to eat, your budget, who you are traveling with (any kids?).  Let me know and I'll try to help.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 6:52 PM, Kim Shook said:

@pumpkinIT - I live in the area and would be glad to help.  Please give me a little more information about what you like to eat, your budget, who you are traveling with (any kids?).  Let me know and I'll try to help.  

Hi Kim, I apologize for this late reply but I have been very busy. Anyway, we are leaving in a couple of days, so there is still time. It will be just me and Paola, my wife. We really love all sorts of food. (not Italian, though). Any budget would do. We need places that are open for lunch. We do not like places that are too big or noisy, but if it's worth it we can try anyway. We like good craft beer, but also fine dining. Thank you very much for your help. Luca

No problem at all, @pumpkinIT!  I am happy to help.

Richmond is craft beer rich.  You shouldn’t have any trouble finding good beer.  Richmond Beer Trail.

Of all the previous recommendations, I’d still say the following are worth a visit (some have closed, some are Italian and some we just haven’t been to in years) and a few more. I've noted which are only open for dinner (and maybe brunch on the weekends) and I've linked their websites to each of the restaurant names.  You should check the websites for hours, closed days and to see if they have reservations available:

Kuba Kuba – Cuban, casual – open 9am-ish

Lemaire at the Jefferson Hotel – very special occasion place, upscale Southern US food – dinner only

Peter Chang –outstanding food – there are two locations in Richmond – one in the city and one suburban – some Seriously HOT food -

Acacia – read @Steve R.'s report on this thread dated 7/7/2017 - One of our favorites to take out of town guests to - dinner only

Nota Bene - dinner only

SB’s Lakeside Loveshack for breakfast—which they serve all day – or lunch

Whisk for dainty snacks and sweets

WPA Bakery – two locations

Proper Pie – sweet and savory pies

Pik Nik – dinner only on weekdays 

Salt and Forge for breakfast or lunch

Shaved Duck – dinner only on weekdays       

Metzger’s dinner only Mon-Sat, Sunday brunch

The Jasper for cocktails

Red Cap Patisserie for good baked goods

L’opposum – see @Steve R.'s report on this thread 3/26/2018 – just ate there in July and it still may be my favorite restaurant in Richmond – dinner only

Garnett’s Café - wonderful place and people, delicious sandwiches - One of my favorite lunch spots in Richmond

This is only a drop in the bucket.  Richmond is full of really good restaurants.  If you get another recommendation from someone here and want to check with me or just want more information, just PM me.  

I hope you have a wonderful trip and will report back on your trip when you have the time.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5

@Kim Shook thank you very much for your very exhaustive list. We have plenty to choose from.

I am sure this will make the difference to our stay (we both love food). Also the Beer Trail looks very interesting.

After Richmond, we will go to DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York. I will definitely report on our experiences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, pumpkinIT said:

@Kim Shook thank you very much for your very exhaustive list. We have plenty to choose from.

I am sure this will make the difference to our stay (we both love food). Also the Beer Trail looks very interesting.

After Richmond, we will go to DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York. I will definitely report on our experiences.

Philly places abound.  What sort of dining do y ou like?

Got to jump in here for a Philly recommendation: The Austrian Village, in Huntingdon Valley. Wonderful German food; the absolute best red cabbage I have EVER had, and the homemade bratwurst is not to be missed.

Not fine dining, by a long shot. Good, solid, German workingman fare.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

Longoven restaurant in Richmond is having a truffle dinner on Dec 9th.  8 courses, wine pairing for 250.  I am looking for a dining companion who is crazy enough to join me.  I can make 7:15 seating.  DH is out of town and I would hate to eat such a spectacular meal by myself.  I dined in Longoven in the summer and the food was absolutely delicious.  They also had interesting  wines such as Bulgarian grape Melnik.

http://longovenrva.com/

• Like 1