• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madalin's Table

adegiulio

Northern Dutchess County has undergone a reverse culinary renaissance of late. A number of good restaurants have closed while a few chain and un-inspired restuarants have moved in. A few quality restaurants remain, Le Petit Bistro in Rhinebeck and Swoon in Hudson come to mind as consistent eateries you can count on when you don't feel like cooking. Well, we can add Madalin's Table in Tivoli to the list. The newly opened restaurant shares its existence with the Hotel Madalin, the renovated and reinvigorated hotel in the middle of Tivoli.

No expense was spared by the owners in either the front or back of the house. The front is divided into two rooms, one a cozy dining space, the other a well stocked bar. There is plenty of space at the bar, as well as tables throughout the room. An interesting circus theme pervades the walls, which I didn't particularly care for. In the dining room, softer antique-y paintings adorn the walls. It is an attractive place to enjoy a meal.

The menu runs the gamut from hamburgers to various fish dishes. Soups and salads have been very good each time we have dined, as have the other appetizers. If I had one complaint, it would be that the food is occasionally in need of a bit of seasoning. This may clear itself up as the kitchen breaks itself in, or it may just be my personal preference for salt. Either way, the food is always well cooked and presented attractively.

One glaring weakness is the wine list. For such well designed restaurant, the wine list offers no reason to consider its contents. Stick to cocktails until they work this issue through.

Add Madalin's Table to your group of go-to restaurants, you won't be disappointed...

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

We have eaten there more than a handful of times and I would agree 100% with adegiulio. You've hit it right on with this post. I have selfishly kept from posting about this restaurant. It is certainly one that should be added to everyone’s list of great area restaurants. I'm surprised it's taken this long to see it posted here.

What's the historical connection, if any, to the nearby Madalin Cemetary? Haven't tried, but how are Santa Fe and the sushi bar (don't remember the name) in Tivoli?

I have no clue about the connection to the cemetary. Santa Fe is so-so. We've had some good meals and some lousy meals. Now that Madalin is open, I doubt I will be going to Santa Fe again. Osaka, the sushi joint, is also so-so. The fish is hit or miss, and the rice is too vinegary. But, they are friendly, and close. Tivoli is only about 3 miles from the house....

How about Restaurant in Germantown? Anyone know that place? And why couldn't they think of a name for it?

We have a house in Stone Ridge across the river -- you East of Hudson people are living it up. We wind up crossing the river every time we want to go out to eat!

How about Restaurant in Germantown?  Anyone know that place? And why couldn't they think of a name for it?

We have a house in Stone Ridge across the river -- you East of Hudson people are living it up.  We wind up crossing the river every time we want to go out to eat!

Restaurant is pretty good also. If you havent been there, its worth the trip. On your side of the river, I would try Red Onion in Woodstock...Other than that, you're right, its slim pickins west of the Hudson...

• 5 months later...