• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Truffle

mrose

I havent tried this for a truffle but it makes a nice layer in a cake and has great banana flavor

Banana Ganache

12 bananas, very ripe

6 oz butter

2 oz Frangelico

2 c heavy cream

2 lbs bittersweet or ss choc, guandaja

Banana Ganache:

In a large saute pan melt the butter until almost brown, add sliced bananas and cook until well caramelized(nice and golden). Flambe with Frangelico. Place in food processor on high and allow to process UNTIL SMOOTH. In the same pan, place the cream and bring to a boil, pour this over the chocolate and stir until melted. Add the mixture to the bananas in the machine. Mix until combined.

Edited by bripastryguy (log)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I was thinking about trying Brian's formula with white choco--maybe have to tweak something a bit like maybe less cream but boy that recipe sounds fantastic. 20 minutes in the food processor seems like a long time, but hey, if it works it works. Unless that was supposed to be 2 minutes?

I had been planning on using a banana puree and maybe a little banana liquor. I would prefer to use a puree so they would taste the same all the time and easier to offer as a product.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I had been planning on using a banana puree and maybe a little banana liquor. I would prefer to use a puree so they would taste the same all the time and easier to offer as a product.

Mark

I might even use dark rum as the liquor as it goes nicely with bananas. I make my fruit centres with fruit puree, fondant, white chocolate, some compound to boost the flavour and some freeze dried fruit, oh yea and a bit of butter. I usually add some liquor as well.

Getting sufficient density for truffles will probably work with banana puree as I think it is fairly thick.

Kerry

I had a feeling you would have a suggestion for me. Your knowledge is amazing. What do you mean by compound?

Thanks

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I developed a banana bonbon last year and will tell you that I had little success with banana liqour. Norman Love uses fresh bananas and white chocolate. I use dried bananas in a dark chocolate ganache layered with a dark rum caramel in a white chocolate shell bottomed with dark.

Kerry

I had a feeling you would have a suggestion for me. Your knowledge is amazing. What do you mean by compound?

Thanks

Mark

Compound is a flavouring mixture, it is very thick, tastes quite revolting on it's own, but is wonderful for boosting the flavour of things. Qzina will have it, as will any of the places you buy chocolate I would think.

I'm away in Manitoulin right now, so I'm not sure if I have some at home, but if you remind me after thr 15th I'll check and I can send you some.