• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sang Kee Peking Duck House

What I've enjoyed at the RTM stall are the roast pork or roast duck plates "with vegetable". No broth put over them. Just the meat, rice (with a light flavoring sauce) and a green vegetable whose name I always forget but that I enjoy. Of course, before serving they nuke the plate to warm it up. Oh, well.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Well, I'll have to give it a try, won't I?  General Tso's is one of those dishes I usually avoid.  But this sounds really good.

Okay, I did try it, and it was okay. Better than most versions of General Tso's, but I'm just not crazy about that sweet, sticky sauce.

But I also ordered the Chinese water spinach, and managed to polish off almost an entire order on my own. Man, is that ever good stuff...

What I've enjoyed at the RTM stall are the roast pork or roast duck plates "with vegetable". No broth put over them. Just the meat, rice (with a light flavoring sauce) and a green vegetable whose name I always forget but that I enjoy. Of course, before serving they nuke the plate to warm it up. Oh, well.

Bok choi, at least when I was there. And the whole plate was... unremarkable, I'd say. I need to get into town to try the real deal, but I've been horrendously busy.

The green vegetable on the rice platters at the mothership has been gai lan as long as I can remember.  And yeah, they just assemble it and nuke it over there too, but I don't care, I love it...

Oops. I stand corrected then. There are plans to go to the other sang kee this weekend, we'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

anybody been to the Peking Duck place on 8th right above washington?

we got a duck there last night and took it home to make with some fried rice.

it was only 13$ for a whole duck! delicious flavor and texture and i'm saving the fat for duck confit.

have them cut it up for you though as trying to butcher one of those oily ducks yourself (while fun and kinda gross) is a recipe for disaster. they have a MUCH larger and sharper cleaver there and will cut it up into some manageable pieces.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

anybody been to the Peking Duck place on 8th right above washington? 

we got a duck there last night and took it home to make with some fried rice.

it was only 13$ for a whole duck!  delicious flavor and texture and i'm saving the fat for duck confit.

we've been curious about that place for so long... for whatever reason, it always struck us as a front for some other kind of operation.

• 2 months later...
Grabbed some take-out late last night (although not that late, they close at 10:30pm during the week).

Fried Dumplings

gallery_23992_3202_39392.jpg

Much easier to eat in the car than their steamed counterparts, and they kind of have to be eaten on the way home, they get pretty soggy if you wait.

Roast Pork Noodle Soup

gallery_23992_3202_79960.jpg

This was still nice and hot when I got home. And I swear their broth just gets better and better later as the evening progresses, maybe it's been concentrating all day, this was just outrageously good.  Just look at that color.

gallery_23992_3202_71752.jpg

General Tso's Chicken

gallery_23992_3202_85043.jpg

This is the only place I order this cliché of a dish, but it's really good here, and when you get it to go, they're cool enough to package the sauce separately, so the light breading on the chicken stays crisp. Of course it's better to eat it there, seconds out of the oil, but hey, take-out is better than nothing. It would probably be delicious to occasionally dip strips into the sauce and munch on them during the drive home, while it's nice and hot and crunchy, but I wouldn't know.... that would be wrong.

Taking a page right out of Phil A.'s playbook, I got some roast pork noodle soup and fried dumplings for takeout. Awesome awesome awesome. They just looked so good in the pictures I had to try some for myself. I've been on a Chinese kick for a few weeks now and this is the first time I've gotten takeout from somewhere other than Szechuan Tasty House. The fact that if I catch 76 at the right time I can be up and back in 30 minutes has rendered all of my local takeout/delivery places inadequate.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

• 4 months later...

We went for lunch today and had the fried dumplings and the Peking duck, which came in the requisite pancakes first / stirfry second format.

I have to say we were both very impressed. Much more, if I dare say so, than by Szechuan. We'll be back for the roast pork.

(the update was, admittedly, a LITTLE tardy...)

Edited by lfabio2007 (log)