• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

24 hours in Hollywood

BeerGut

My wife and I will be attending a wedding in Hollywood (morning service at the Diplomat Country Club)

Where should we go for food around here? I've read the Miami posts but time is short. Where can a Jersey guy get a good Florida experince/late afternoon meal and dinner around here?

Cuban and seafood are preferred, but anything other than Italian (plenty of that where I come from) is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Rich in Northern NJ

Hey Rick,

I am rarely in Hollywood any more so I can't really make any suggestions. I can tell you that the Westin Diplomat is gorgeous. Make sure to bring a camera. I hope the weather is nice as well.

Enjoy your trip.

I do know that around Hollywood Young Circle (or whatever it's called now) on Hollywood Blvd. there are some places to eat. I know Mama Mia's is good but you don't want Italian.

Wish I could be of more help.

-Scott

My wife and I will be attending a wedding in Hollywood (morning service at the Diplomat Country Club)

Where should we go for food around here? I've read the Miami posts but time is short. Where can a Jersey guy get a good Florida experince/late afternoon meal and dinner around here?

Cuban and seafood are preferred, but anything other than Italian (plenty of that where I come from) is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Rich in Northern NJ

Padrino's is right down the street from the Diplomat and serves textbook Cuban fare. Personally I don't find Cuban food to be very interesting but if that's what you're looking for its right up the road. They'll serve you a traditional bistec palomilla toppped with raw onions, some white rice with black beans, and some platanos maduros on the side. They have a complete menu. I have taken tourists there before who were in search of Cuban food. Here are some diner reviews:

http://www.southflorida.com/dining/22392,0...ws.venue?page=1

If you have access to a car and are willing to drive a bit, La Carreta may offer a more interesting and cultural experience. They also have a larger menu.

http://www.southflorida.com/dining/17607,0,4730427.venue

enjoy.

Rich

South Florida

My sister and Mother live in Hollywood so I make frequent trips there. I grew up in the area as well.

My favorite restaurant is Mia Grill. It's in Young circle. It is Italian, but they do have fabulous seafood. I had a stuffed lobster there that was divine.

There is also a really good Mexican restaurant in the Circle( can't remember the name of it).

I know you don't want Italian, but Mia Grill is soooo good.

My sister and Mother live in Hollywood so I make frequent trips there.  I grew up in the area as well.

My favorite restaurant is Mia Grill.  It's in Young circle.  It is Italian, but they do have fabulous seafood.  I had a stuffed lobster there that was divine.   

There is also a really good Mexican restaurant in the Circle( can't remember the name of it).

It's Mama Mia. IMO the place is not much more than a descent neighborhood Italian restaurant. They have a good sized menu and years ago I also had a very large stuffed lobster there which was tasty and a good value. They do a big business here during the Winter tourist months. It's an okay place but I don't think it is what you are looking for. and BTW, the Mexican place is called Cancun I think...never eaten there.

For a small, grubby seafood shack check out Tarks. Their steamer clams arrive bubbling and the chicken wings are very good. I have yet to find a place down here that sells fresh florida shrimp. We live in a world of farm raised.

Tarks

http://members.aol.com/__121b_HTjl9XXQT5p0...gZx5d14vHAVhdo=

http://www.southflorida.com/dining/25541,0...ws.venue?page=1

South Florida

Thanks everyone for your help!

I'll let you know how we make out. Right now it looks like it'll be:

TARKS on the way in

Padrino's for dinner

OPA Tavern for late night drinks with friends

La Carreta for late lunch tomorrow.

Then back to NJ for Mexican (Pancho's Burritos in New Milford, NJ) and Italian on Tuesday (Buongiorno in Dumont)

I couldn't have planned it without you! Let me know if you ever need help finding a place to visit in Northern NJ.

My sister and Mother live in Hollywood so I make frequent trips there.  I grew up in the area as well.

My favorite restaurant is Mia Grill.  It's in Young circle.  It is Italian, but they do have fabulous seafood.  I had a stuffed lobster there that was divine.   

It's Mama Mia. IMO the place is not much more than a descent neighborhood Italian restaurant. They have a good sized menu and years ago I also had a very large stuffed lobster there which was tasty and a good value. They do a big business here during the Winter tourist months. It's an okay place but I don't think it is what you are looking for. and BTW, the Mexican place is called Cancun I think...never eaten there.

For a small, grubby seafood shack check out Tarks. Their steamer clams arrive bubbling and the chicken wings are very good. I have yet to find a place down here that sells fresh florida shrimp. We live in a world of farm raised.

Tarks

http://members.aol.com/__121b_HTjl9XXQT5p0...gZx5d14vHAVhdo=

http://www.southflorida.com/dining/25541,0...ws.venue?page=1

I believe they have changed their name to Mia Grill. At least that is what the sign said when I was there in December.

Mia Grill