• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Standard Diner in Albuquerque

Heading to the airport with time to waste, I stumbled across the Standard Diner. It was one of those places that just emanated a "good vibe".

Located in a former gas station, it had a upscale, retro dinner decor. It was accomplished without going overboard as retro theme restaurants often do. The waitress said that they opened about 5 months ago.

This place really nailed the little touches, especially considering it is a casual place. While perusing the menu they brought plate of mini-muffins to the table. I do not remember exactly what kind of muffins they were, but I do remember inhaling them...damn they were good.

I had the chicken fried lobster Cesar salad. The name of the dish is misleading, it was a tempura batter on the lobster. The lobster nuggets were lightly cooked, leaving them moist and tender. The rest of the brunch menu look good with items like red curry hash & eggs and breakfast casserole (challa bread custard with green chili, asparagus and cream cheese).

The overall menu was comfort food with twist. Service was friendly and personable.

their full menu

Add me to the list of supporters...

It's a type of food (mostly "comfort") and a style of restaurant that I often like.

I've had several very good meals here, usually enroute to something else when I want a very good experience without thinking too much. Good wine list, too.

The Standard is from the brothers responsible for the always reliable and excellent Range Cafe by the way.

Edited by fyfas (log)

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 month later...

The menu and vibe does look really good. I may get there soon to eat and think it will be pretty difficult to choose what to eat in one visit!

Any comments on the meatloaf, chicken dumplings or mac n cheeseburger?

meatloaf: "ground black angus chuck blended with roasted vegetables, cabernet wine gravy, smashed potatoes"

chicken and dumplings: "garlic roasted chicken slow simmered in a green chile broth with masa, cilantro and feta cheese dumplings"

mac n cheeseburger: looks like a burger topped with a wedge of fried, homemade macaroni and cheese

Any comments on the desserts are welcome also. They look pretty good...

edited to add: Thanks, fyfas for pointing out their link to the Range Cafe which has been a favorite for awhile. This only heightens my anticipation to check out the Standard Diner.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 3 weeks later...

meatloaf: "ground black angus chuck blended with roasted vegetables, cabernet wine gravy, smashed potatoes"

I went there about two weeks ago for the first time and enjoyed the whole experience. I had the meatloaf described above which was delicious; great gravy. We were a group of 7, including two youngsters and we sat in the more casual, dineresque front room. Some other items ordered at the table were the Standard cheeseburger, fries (quite good), a fish special of which I can't recall the details and a crab cake appetizers. They had some nice menu choices for the kids who ate away happily and also enjoyed their sundaes at meals end.

I shared two excellent desserts with another diner--a beer flavored ice cream--I think it was made with a stout and was a special ice cream for the day. (I want to try this at home.) We also got the Chocolate Semi-Freddo which consisted of chocolate chiffon cake wrapped around homemade peanut butter crunch ice cream and was served with a dark chocolate sauce. I'd go back anytime just for the desserts!

The decor is smart and comfortable at the same time. The back room is a bit more elegant in feel. Our group wasn't drinking wine so I unfortunately did not get to sample some of the choices from their interesting wine list this time. I like the contrasting but still harmonious aspects of the decor in the front and back room. Depending on what you order or where you sit you can dial the atmosphere from more casual to casual-elegant.

I'm looking forward to returning here many times.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Heading to the airport with time to waste, I stumbled across the Standard Diner.  It was one of those places that just emanated a "good vibe". 

Located in a former gas station, it had a upscale, retro dinner decor.  It was accomplished without going overboard as retro theme restaurants often do.  The waitress said that they opened about 5 months ago.

This place really nailed the little touches, especially considering it is a casual place.  While perusing the menu they brought plate of mini-muffins to the table.  I do not remember exactly what kind of muffins they were, but I do remember inhaling them...damn they were good. 

their full menu

Well put, I really agree with your comments on the decor. Stylish and well executed but not over the top in terms of the retro influences. I also like the area just to the left of the entrance with the casual small tables and counter seating. With their array of interesting 'small bites" and good wine list it would also be nice to come in here for a drink and some snacks or for dessert and coffee.