• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bhoj in Elmwood Park Area

Anonymouze

I felt that Bhoj needs it own thread like other good restaurants that we talk about here on Egullet - Bhoj is located off of Route 17 less than 5 minutes from 17 or 46 or 80 and more than worth the trip IMHO. :wub:

http://www.bhoj.us/

We went here after missing it for a while and were delighted that they were open on the 4th, what a great way to celebrate. Hubby and I enjoyed the lunch buffet and it had it's usual tasty dishes as well as 2 interesting dishes!

They had pasta with garlic and a tiny bit/hint of cheese in it as well! I usually am not fond of most spaghetti/pasta products unless there is something inside... (like ravioli or tortellini) but this was SO good I went back for seconds and so did hubby, also their chicken curry and tandoori chicken were moist, deliciously spiced/flavored and was scrumptious as was their their veggie dishes and na'an. The service is always superior no matter how busy or not busy they may be and the manager? owner? is always so polite and suggests something new if they have it or offers a small sample of something interesting.

It is so inexpensive for a delicious and filling lunch buffet of all you can eat! It runs us for 2 buffets with 2 baskets full of hot baked fresh na'an (complimentary) papad's and 1 mango lassi and 2 soda's less than $25.00 - well worth it.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

• 1 month later...

after a year of procrastinating i finally ate here last nite. it is far superior to the other indian restaurants in bergen county. a bit pricier, but not expensive and certainly worth it. much better than the ones in teaneck and preferable to the one in hackensack on main street. tuesday nite and most tables were taken at 8pm. but there was no wait and the owner was very nice. we had lamb saag which was very tasty and correctly spiced. the lamb was a little tough but ok. we asked for a vegetable kourma, not on menu, and it was excellent. the portions were larger than i expected. the naan was just ok but the onion kulcha was outstanding. i certainly will be back.

• 11 months later...

It's time to revive this thread! Bhoj is a wonderful find, and if you haven't been here yet, you don't know what you're missing. We need to get the word out so that we can ensure they'll be with us for many years.

I hit the lunch buffet this afternoon. Thank goodness Elmwood Park wasn't affected by the boil water order in effect for most of Bergen County, as this forced the closure of quite a few restaurants over the weekend. However, this most likely had an impact on business for Bhoj, because the restaurant was nearly empty today. (The first time I have seen it like this.)

Bhoj's lunch buffet is great. Everything is delicious, but the chicken tikka masala, dosas, chicken tandori, and mango chutney are my favorites. The naan is also fantastic. Today, they tried out a new dish: shredded cabbage in a very spicy red sauce. I'm not a huge cabbage eater, but this was very good. They also featured a very good rice pudding today. It was very sweet, with slivered almonds. While scooping the pudding into a bowl, I found a cinnamon stick the size of a log in the bowl. I love cinnamon, so this was neat to see. It added great flavor, but was not overpowering. Bhoj knows how to strike just the right balance between seasoning/spice/heat and flavor. Their food is spicer than most other places, but that makes it better! The kick is there without becoming overpowering or uncomfortable to eat for most people. (Of course, some foods run spicier than others.)

Sunny, the owner, is a great man. He is very friendly, and his first priority is to make sure you're happy. He treats you like a friend, whether you've come in for the first time or whether you're a veteran. He was a little bummed out about the slow business today, but hopefully things will pick up next week.

If you haven't been here yet, or you know people who love Indian food who don't know about this place, please tell them. Great food, great prices, a great staff, and no problems with parking make this one of Bergen County's true hidden gems. Why go to Ridgewood and spend an hour looking for parking, and pay double the price for food that isn't as good? Check this fantastic place out instead.

Edited by zhelder (log)

lunch buffet on a Saturday!! what about during the week?

that sounds like a great way to try all of their food.

we'll try for next saturday.

also, where does elmwood park get their water from if not United?

LIMABEAN

They do the buffet every day, but Sunny has told me the weekday menu is more limited. I have always gone on the weekends. I think it's $8.95 during the week, and $10.95 on weekends.

Elmwood Park and a few other towns bordering Passaic County get their water from the Passaic Valley Water Commission, so they were not affected by the lightning strike at United Water. (They need to fix this already!!!)

lunch buffet on a Saturday!! what about during the week?

that sounds like a great way to try all of their food.

we'll try for next saturday.

also, where does elmwood park get their water from if not United?

LIMABEAN

They do the buffet every day, but Sunny has told me the weekday menu is more limited. I have always gone on the weekends. I think it's $8.95 during the week, and $10.95 on weekends.

Elmwood Park and a few other towns bordering Passaic County get their water from the Passaic Valley Water Commission, so they were not affected by the lightning strike at United Water. (They need to fix this already!!!)

Lots of towns have their own wells also like Ridgewood, Waldwick, Ramsey, and Mahwah.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have been to this restaurant on a few occasions. The first time we really enjoyed it. The owner was there and he was very nice, and the food was good. The second time was a big disappointment. They served us leftovers from the buffet. We sent back one of the dishes as it was not hot, and it was supposed to be sizziling. Definitely leftovers. We went again during the week, knowing there would not be leftovers, and enjoyed it again. Great...no, not by a long shot. Good. Sure. I have yet to find great Indian food in Northern NJ.