• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great Milkshake Hunt

My husband and I are nuts for milkshakes, and it's really hard to find a good one around here. So far the best we've found is at Ray's Restaurant and Malt Shop in East Norriton. The shakes are exactly the right thickness - that is, so thick it's almost impossible to get the shake up through the straw. The size is good and you get the extra in the metal cup and the ice cream is of good quality.

Where else in the area can we get a great non-thin shake?

Cupcake Planet: my (possibly obsessive) cupcake-centric 'blog

I haven't been there in a year or so, but Fairlane's, on Bethlehem Pike in Erdenheim (just outside of Chestnut Hill) always sold great milk shakes, and put the metal container on the table right next to your milk shake glass. Thick and great, made with real ice cream. Hmmm...maybe I should head on back over there sometime.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

The black and white milkshakes used to be really good at Snow White on Chestnut at 18th or 19th, I havent been back there in a very long time. I usually dont get milkshakes because I like to eat my ice cream instead of drink it, but the shakes at Zwahlen's in Audubon looked really good last time I was there, and their ice cream, which is really frozen custard is incredible. Franklin Fountain is another place that has great homemade ice cream and likely has a great shake.

Charcoal Pit on 202 just north of WIlmington makes a fine milkshake. I usually go for the black and white...

In the city, I like getting Mocha milkshakes at Old City Coffee, they use Bassett's Ice Cream.

And I'll agree with Chowfun: I haven't had one either, but I'd be shocked if Franklin Fountain didn't make a great milkshake.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I'm certain Franklin Fountain makes a great shake. My co-workers often walk in with them and a big smile. (Oh to be twenty-something with the metabolism of a hummingbird again...)

Koch's Deli makes a killer shake too. They've got one of those old school machines with the metal cups and the single beater. You can totally stand up a spoon in them. I believe they're using Bassett's ice cream too, IIRC.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Chink's Steaks on 6000 block of Torresdale Ave in the Northeast serves up classic milkshakes of heart-stopping potency and richness. The absolute real deal.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

No relation, Charlie's, the burger joint in Folsom makes old fashioned shakes in a big stainless cup. Just like the old days - this place has been there since then.

You see many pairs sharing one shake as they gobble their tasty burgers.

It's actually around the corner (1 lot back toward Philly) from the corner mentioned in Holly's site. Worth finding.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Laban did not lke anything I did, except he loved the milkshake.

Yeah, he didn't like anything -- two stars worth.

Go cry in your milkshake. :raz:

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

His kobe beef carpaccio, for example, is outstanding, the strips of marbled raw meat sparked with fresh-grated wasabi and a zippy, chile-flared aioli sauce. A traditional cutlet of fried pork katsu gets a worthy upgrade with trendy kurabota pig. Delicate Lancaster micro-greens, heirloom beets, and deep-fried onion blossoms are liberally used. A sweet corn risotto adds a taste of summer to succulent day-boat scallops. And minted watermelon salad adds a fresh twist to a decent curried crabcake.

Doesn't sound like "not liking anything" to me.

Oh, wait--maybe your tongue was in your cheek? 'Cause I don't remember reading anything about the milkshake either. :rolleyes:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Chink's Steaks on 6000 block of Torresdale Ave in the Northeast serves up classic milkshakes of heart-stopping potency and richness.  The absolute real deal.

Uh, I like milkshakes and all, but I think I'd steer clear of one potent and rich enough to stop my heart.

Nifty Fifty's makes a pretty good shake, definitely not the best I've ever had but better than the majority of places that serve them. I've had particularly bad shakes at Johnny Rocket's, Franklin Fountain (haven't been there yet this summer, though), and Five Brothers.

Jake's Burgers in New Castle, DE make a fantastic chocolate malt. Great with one of their bacon-double cheeseburgers. Located one mile south of the New Castle County airport.

I second the Charcoal Pit as well in North WIlmington.

Also, Nifty Fifty's shakes are real good. They're located at Rt. 420 and McDade Blvd. in Folsom.

Haven't been there yet, but I heard Franklin Fountain is good, but a little pricey.

I find it interesting that most places mentioned so far have been restaurants and not necessarily ice cream joints (except Franklin Fountain). Anyhow, one of my favorites in the city is Philly Flavors on Fairmount Ave., right next to the wine school. They make (or at least used to as I haven't been this summer) great shakes with any flavor of their homemade ice cream. A chocolate banana shake is my personal fave.

I'll second Rich on Chink's Steaks. They semi-freeze the milk used for the shake into a slurry, making for a perfect texture milkshake. My favorite there is chocolate, with a whole banana mashed in.

Zwahlen's in Audubon, out King of Prussia way, does great shakes with their fresh frozen custard.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I think the quality of a Nifty Fifty's shake depends on who makes it, because we've had one very good one there and two that were thinner than Nicole Richie. Haven't tried Zwahlen's shakes yet because the prospect of not being able to dump the dark hot fudge over the top keeps us from ordering one. A number of these other places sound promising. I knew this would be the right place to ask - asking our coworkers led to an almost unanimous suggestion of Ruby's. Where the shakes are made with soft serve. The other common suggestion has been Cold Stone, where the shakes are runny and overpriced.

Cupcake Planet: my (possibly obsessive) cupcake-centric 'blog

damn, I gotta stop typing on this forum after a night of soju.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Haven't tried Zwahlen's shakes yet because the prospect of not being able to dump the dark hot fudge over the top keeps us from ordering one.  .

The fudge is really really good, but try a chocolate and vanilla custard with bing cherries on top! It is heavenly.

Doesn't sound like "not liking anything" to me.

Oh, wait--maybe your tongue was in your cheek?  'Cause I don't remember reading anything about the milkshake either.  :rolleyes:

Greg's a little down on some other comments in the review that resonate with him.

F**k Laban. It's okay, next time I'll drink soju with you until your next shift.

The milkshake was in this past week's section, a little blurb on the Old Granddad milkshake.

Little Pete's has always been my standby for a shake.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Greg has nothing to worry about. Raw just keeps getting better! I haven't been back to Morimoto since it opened. I think it is enjoyable to watch the evolution of the menu. One thing that I really didn't get was the tempura review. Last I was there the tempura was being made by one of the best tempura chefs in the area. It's outstanding!!! You all know I am a fan of Raw and I think it's going to be just fine. Keep your head up Greg, you are a very talented chef.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!