• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MSG in Chocolate

Shalmanese

I always understood that MSG affects your brain and doesn't really change the flavor of the food just the way the brain perseves.  Here is a link that explains it better than I can.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/msg.html

I'm sorry, but, as far as I can tell, the article doesn't explain it at all. Since all flavors are perceived by the brain/are a result of brain chemical 'alterations,' I fail to see what makes msg different.

If you're trying to say that there's some safety issue with MSG, I think that the article clearly explains that- with the exclusion of a trace amount of the population, MSG is perfectly safe.

I disagree, It is not safe. it doesn't belong in chocolate or in food for that matter. the article states all products containing msg, must clearly label it, that is wrong, manufactures hide it under different names to disguise it. Now let me ask you, if it's safe, why are manufactures trying to hide it? there are even some products that state no msg on the label, that do have msg. I say keep it away from chocolate, it's already in too many foods as it is.

I used to feel the same way and then I read Steingarten's book. Although there are a lot of people who doubt MSGs safety, this sentiment draws less from fact and more from xenophobia. It's cultural bias, plain, pure and simple. Other cultures utilize MSG like it's going out of style with no adverse health impact whatsoever.

It must be hard not to be able to eat tomatoes/tomato products, soy sauce and parmesan. If you don't want to eat tomatoes, hey, that's your deal, but personally, I love 'em.

I can eat tomatoes, or parmesan, or anything where it's naturally occuring. what i have problems with is the foods they add it to. the naturally occuring msg in food is not the same as what they add.

what about issues of it's addictive qualities, which many feel is a big contributor to the obesity problem in the US. even the website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG admits that it makes people eat more.

http://www.msgfacts.com/facts/msgfact12.html

The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products.

I've also read it has been scientifically proven that msg causes obesity.

go to www.pubmed.com and enter msg obese in the search.

Truly respectfully, your research is flawed by your the contents of your results, the links you've provided are sites and studies with an agenda. Not balanced. Anyhow, junk food is junk food, of course it makes people fat, it also tastes good and has lots of salt and fat and other yummies that make people...addicted? I've yet to hear about people beign weened slowly from their dangerous msg addictions.

Edited by sote23 (log)

tomorrow i'm having a bit of chocolate milk with msg, WHO'S WITH ME???? :laugh:

*RAISE YOUR HANDS, MAD SCIENTISTS

So, did you do it?

I hope you weren't skimpy!! :wink:

I'll go out on a limb here and wager that the chocolate milk was better with msg. Anybody want a piece of this action? :wink:

You know, I've been thinking of that funny habit of dipping salty french fried potatoes into a chocolate shake. Why not add MSG to the mix? I don't have any chocolate fixings here to work with tonight, but I'm hoping to decide on a menu of some kind and delve into this. After all, I AM the girl who FACED THE FEAR with the Velveeta Fudge (it was terrible to me, but a big hit at my sister's house)!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06