• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MSG in Chocolate

Shalmanese

A friend of mine was wondering whether any chocolate bars contain MSG. A quick google indicates that this seems to not have occured but I was wondering exactly what would happen if you added MSG to chocolate. What would it taste like? Has anyone tried it?

PS: I am a guy.

Actually, I think it could probably taste pretty good. I'm a big fan of msg, in small quantities. I could really care less about the supposed health detriments, what I'm really in for is flavor and MSG is a know, proven, and classic flavor enhancer. MSG in chocolate? Well it may actually bring out some of the more subtle interesting flavours in a good chocolate. I think it would be worth a shot..why the hell not?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I disagree, keep msg out of chocolate. It has no business being there.

Actually, I think it could probably taste pretty good. I'm a big fan of msg, in small quantities. I could really care less about the supposed health detriments, what I'm really in for is flavor and MSG is a know, proven, and classic flavor enhancer.  MSG in chocolate? Well it may actually bring out some of the more subtle interesting flavours in a good chocolate. I think it would be worth a shot..why the hell not?

Edited by sote23 (log)

Salt accentuates sweet flavors. Which is why, if you're making a chocolate dessert, you always add a tiny amount of salt. That's common knowledge.

As far as adding MSG to chocolate... ... ...

That's really tough. I've always associated MSG with a meaty, iron-y kind of note. Meaty and chocolate don't immediately appear complementary. But then you've got mole. And chocolate does contain iron. So... maybe.

I'd definitely add MSG to a mole. And maybe, at some point, I might add it to eating chocolate. Can't hurt to try, right?

It's funny, I've been thinking a LOT about MSG in desserts lately. Maybe there's a bug going around.

I just remembered something. There's high levels of free glutamates in human breast milk. That's probably a big part of the reason why we're so attached to the taste- conditioning. The concept of MSG and milk seems like a possibility. Once milk is in the picture, chocolate becomes much more plausible.

I always understood that MSG affects your brain and doesn't really change the flavor of the food just the way the brain perseves.  Here is a link that explains it better than I can.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/msg.html

I'm sorry, but, as far as I can tell, the article doesn't explain it at all. Since all flavors are perceived by the brain/are a result of brain chemical 'alterations,' I fail to see what makes msg different.

If you're trying to say that there's some safety issue with MSG, I think that the article clearly explains that- with the exclusion of a trace amount of the population, MSG is perfectly safe.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Glutamates activate the "fifth" taste: umami, which is usually associated with savory meaty-ness, so I think Scott123 is on the right track. I really wouldn't want to see it in my dessert chocolate, since what I want then is sweet, not savory. So the idea of adding msg to mole is not at all off-putting. But it would certainly not be a welcome flavor atop my ice cream sundae.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I always understood that MSG affects your brain and doesn't really change the flavor of the food just the way the brain perseves.  Here is a link that explains it better than I can.

I'm sorry, but, as far as I can tell, the article doesn't explain it at all. Since all flavors are perceived by the brain/are a result of brain chemical 'alterations,' I fail to see what makes msg different.

If you're trying to say that there's some safety issue with MSG, I think that the article clearly explains that- with the exclusion of a trace amount of the population, MSG is perfectly safe.

I disagree, It is not safe. it doesn't belong in chocolate or in food for that matter. the article states all products containing msg, must clearly label it, that is wrong, manufactures hide it under different names to disguise it. Now let me ask you, if it's safe, why are manufactures trying to hide it? there are even some products that state no msg on the label, that do have msg. I say keep it away from chocolate, it's already in too many foods as it is.

Edited by sote23 (log)

...I disagree, It is not safe. it doesn't belong in chocolate or in food for that matter. the article states all products containing msg, must clearly label it, that is wrong, manufactures hide it under different names to disguise it. Now let me ask you, if it's safe, why are manufactures trying to hide it? there are even some products that state no msg on the label, that do have msg. I say keep it away from chocolate, it's already in too many foods as it is.

Well, then! I suppose that you refuse to eat most cheeses(really, ANY dairy at all, it all contains MSG, in varying amounts), anything containing yeast, most beans, including andything SOY, seaweeds, mushrooms, most nuts, ANY eggs or any vegetables from the nightshade family,( i.e.:tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants).

You see, almost every food contains MSG naturally, as MSG is a NATURALLY occurring substance in most foods, and occurs in higher concentrations in the aforementioned foods. Oh, and by the way, there are a few other food ingredients with similar chemical reactions to the tongue, which you will be hard pressed to avoid, as well: inosine 5'-monophosphate (IMP) and guanosine 5'-monophosphate (GMP)-. However, good luck with that!

I'm really surprised when people start up on the evils of MSG without researching exactly WHAT it is, and WHERE it is. It's like being an active member of PETA and wearing leather shoes or make up; or like being the vegan espousing CEO of Whole Foods, and selling dead animal flesh and animal milks in your stores. Not that I find anything wrong with ingesting those products, myself. :raz:

edited by me:lol, I said andy-thing, jejejej!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

There are a lot of scientific and nonscientific(anecdotal) writings on the web around our dear friend and foe, MSG. Here's one I liked:Which Tomato Do YOU Like?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Manufacturers try to hide it because many people believe falsely that it is unsafe and should be avoided. Manufacturers are by and large not in the business of educating people.

i believe it's unsafe and should not be put in food, and them trying to hide it is very deceptive.

Edited by sote23 (log)

...I disagree, It is not safe. it doesn't belong in chocolate or in food for that matter. the article states all products containing msg, must clearly label it, that is wrong, manufactures hide it under different names to disguise it. Now let me ask you, if it's safe, why are manufactures trying to hide it? there are even some products that state no msg on the label, that do have msg. I say keep it away from chocolate, it's already in too many foods as it is.

Well, then! I suppose that you refuse to eat most cheeses(really, ANY dairy at all, it all contains MSG, in varying amounts), anything containing yeast, most beans, including andything SOY, seaweeds, mushrooms, most nuts, ANY eggs or any vegetables from the nightshade family,( i.e.:tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants).

You see, almost every food contains MSG naturally, as MSG is a NATURALLY occurring substance in most foods, and occurs in higher concentrations in the aforementioned foods. Oh, and by the way, there are a few other food ingredients with similar chemical reactions to the tongue, which you will be hard pressed to avoid, as well: inosine 5'-monophosphate (IMP) and guanosine 5'-monophosphate (GMP)-. However, good luck with that!

I'm really surprised when people start up on the evils of MSG without researching exactly WHAT it is, and WHERE it is. It's like being an active member of PETA and wearing leather shoes or make up; or like being the vegan espousing CEO of Whole Foods, and selling dead animal flesh and animal milks in your stores. Not that I find anything wrong with ingesting those products, myself. :raz:

edited by me:lol, I said andy-thing, jejejej!

First of all, I have researched it.

yes, food does naturally contain msg, but it's not the same as the msg they put in processed food. that's like saying the vitamins in food is the same as what is found in a pill form made by a lab, it's not the same at all.

this article explains the difference.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/III.What%20is%20MSG.html

I say people do their own research and come to their own conclusions.

Edited by sote23 (log)

Respectfully, I don't think much of truthinlabeling.org. They keep churning out a lot of skewed propaganda, and it gives me a headache, because MY nuerotransmitters are allergic to that stuff! You can search online and find any number of sites skewed to one opinion or another on any subject that you can think of. I'll stick with the more scientific sites, likethis or even THIS guy is more trustworthy than TIL!

It is incorrect that naturally occurring MSG is different in any way from the MSG you buy in a bag or jar. There is absolutely NO difference. A food scientist and a glutamate receptor can not tell the source of any MSG, chemically. Also, many foods have MUCH more naturally occurring MSG in them than you will get in a traditional American Chinese restaurant meal. You only need to eat an ounce of many cheeses to get more MSG than you will eat in those traditional American Chinese meals! And, it is the exact same MSG as that made from seaweed or beets. No chemical difference in any of them.

I have a family member who is certain that she is deathly allergic to MSG. At my home I am careful to feed her only foods that do not have any added MSG, and when she piles the Parmesan Reggiano on her(delicious, by the way) mushroom/tomato sauced pasta at her home, I don't argue with her. We have a number of scientists and chemical engineers in the family who like to argue with her about it, but, I respect her right to her opinion, and I respect yours as well. That said, let's not hijack this thread with this wrangling any further.

If you don't care for MSG, and it is an evil chemical for you, don't read any further, because someone is about to try MSG with chocolate, and you won't like the result, regardless of the flavor profile!

Finally, sote23, I truly mean it when I say that I respect your right to your opinion. I am sure you have 'researched' the subject, and as I have as well, and come to a different conclusion, it's all a wash.

Oh, and the vitamin bit? Hogwash! :raz:

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Respectfully, I don't think much of truthinlabeling.org. They keep churning out a lot of skewed propaganda, and it gives me a headache, because MY nuerotransmitters are allergic to that stuff! You can search online and find any number of sites skewed to one opinion or another on any subject that you can think of.  I'll stick with the more scientific sites, likethis  or  even THIS guy is more trustworthy than TIL!

It is incorrect  that naturally occurring MSG is different in any way from the MSG you buy in a bag or jar. There is absolutely NO difference. A food scientist and a glutamate receptor can not tell the source of any MSG, chemically. Also, many foods have MUCH more naturally occurring MSG in them than you will get in a traditional American Chinese restaurant meal. You only need to eat an ounce of many cheeses to get more MSG than you will eat in those traditional American Chinese meals! And, it is the exact same MSG as that made from seaweed or beets. No chemical difference in any of them.

I have a family member who is certain that she is deathly allergic to MSG. At my home I am careful to feed her only foods that do not have any added MSG, and when she piles the Parmesan Reggiano on her(delicious, by the way) mushroom/tomato sauced pasta at her home, I don't argue with her. We have a number of scientists and chemical engineers in the family who like to argue with her about it, but, I respect her right to her opinion, and I respect yours as well. That said, let's not hijack this thread with this wrangling any further.

If you don't care for MSG, and it is an evil chemical for you, don't read any further, because someone is about to try MSG with chocolate, and you won't like the result, regardless of the flavor profile!

Finally, sote23, I truly mean it when I say that I respect your right to your opinion. I am sure you have 'researched' the subject, and as I have as well, and come to a different conclusion, it's all a wash.

Oh, and the vitamin bit? Hogwash! :raz:

Like I said let people do their own research and come to their own conclusion. people should not listen to either me or you. they have to find out for themselves. and by the way, the vitamin thing is not hog wash. scientists isolate a chemical compound and then manufacture it and say it's the same as in nature, i say that is hogwash. nature has vitamins and minerals in the correct proportion and in the correct form, with all it's other host of other natural compounds. does man know more than nature, I say not.

Edited by sote23 (log)

I've been thinking that a chocolate with a tiny bit of ginger, wasabi, lime, chili, edamame paste, maybe roasted spiced almonds, or something like that, might actually be savory. Umami! Maybe a slightly salty caramel enrobed in a lightly MSG spiked chocolate would be good. I mean, if we're going to do it, we should work and hope for the best, non?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Then there is bacon+toffee+chocolate... also a possibility.

I've been thinking about kernels of corn in chocolate for awhile now. MSG might enhance the butter in that combo.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

I disagree, It is not safe. it doesn't belong in chocolate or in food for that matter. the article states all products containing msg, must clearly label it, that is wrong, manufactures hide it under different names to disguise it. Now let me ask you, if it's safe, why are manufactures trying to hide it? there are even some products that state no msg on the label, that do have msg. I say keep it away from chocolate, it's already in too many foods as it is.

I used to feel the same way and then I read Steingarten's book. Although there are a lot of people who doubt MSGs safety, this sentiment draws less from fact and more from xenophobia. It's cultural bias, plain, pure and simple. Other cultures utilize MSG like it's going out of style with no adverse health impact whatsoever.

It must be hard not to be able to eat tomatoes/tomato products, soy sauce and parmesan. If you don't want to eat tomatoes, hey, that's your deal, but personally, I love 'em.

I used to feel the same way and then I read Steingarten's book. Although there are a lot of people who doubt MSGs safety, this sentiment draws less from fact and more from xenophobia. It's cultural bias, plain, pure and simple. Other cultures utilize MSG like it's going out of style with no adverse health impact whatsoever.

It must be hard not to be able to eat tomatoes/tomato products, soy sauce and parmesan. If you don't want to eat tomatoes, hey, that's your deal, but personally, I love 'em.

I can eat tomatoes, or parmesan, or anything where it's naturally occuring. what i have problems with is the foods they add it to. the naturally occuring msg in food is not the same as what they add.

what about issues of it's addictive qualities, which many feel is a big contributor to the obesity problem in the US. even the website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG admits that it makes people eat more.

http://www.msgfacts.com/facts/msgfact12.html

The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products.

I've also read it has been scientifically proven that msg causes obesity.

go to www.pubmed.com and enter msg obese in the search.

Edited by sote23 (log)

I can eat tomatoes, or parmesan, or anything where it's naturally occuring. what i have problems with is the foods they add it to. the naturally occuring msg in food is not the same as what they add.

what about issues of it's addictive qualities, which many feel is a big contributor to the obesity problem in the US. even the website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG admits that it makes people eat more.

The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products.

Truly respectfully, your research is flawed by your the contents of your results, the links you've provided are sites and studies with an agenda. Not balanced. Anyhow, junk food is junk food, of course it makes people fat, it also tastes good and has lots of salt and fat and other yummies that make people...addicted? I've yet to hear about people beign weened slowly from their dangerous msg addictions.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

There is absolutely no difference between the free glutamates in tomatoes and the free glutamates in MSG. Zilch. If someone told you that they're dead wrong.

If you're going to have issues with MSG, then you have to have issues with tomatoes. And parmesan. And soy sauce. And, for that matter, your own biochemistry. In the time it took you to read this post, your own body created a fraction of a gram of free glutamates. Your own body is poisoning you!

Btw, tahini causes hives. And mate gives you the runs. Marmite is a suspected carcinogen. Gravlax screws with the reproductive system. Berbere incites promiscuity. If you're going to be biased against one culture (Asian), why not be biased against all cultures? That way you can perpetually live in fear. Wouldn't that be great?

Edited by scott123 (log)