• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cooking and Cuisine of Sicily

Kevin72

• 8 months later...

A recent Sicilian-inspired meal

We snacked on Panelle (sp?) while cooking the rest of the food. These delicious street foods from Sicily that Kevin made upthread. I like to form these chickpea fritters into long rectangle to resemble French fries. It gives them more of the crispy crust I love and are much more approachable to my 4 year old who calls them Italian French Fries and ate them with ketchup!! In all honestly, they do tast good with ketchup :shock:

gallery_5404_94_1081618.jpg

Cavatappi with cauliflower, saffron and anchovies. I love this shape of pasta and the flavors work great together especially with a good dose of chilli flakes, Pecorino, and a squeeze of lemon juice

gallery_5404_94_196652.jpg

Leg of lamb, marinated with garlic, fennel seeds, rosemary and a touch of red wine vinegar. I roasted this in the oven on a bed of rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves and served it with a delicious contorno. A sort of a sweet and sour chickpea and tomato stew (it included honey, little vinegar, cumin, fresh oregano, raisins and pine nuts) and was so tasty that I'd eat it all by itself anytime. I also made a quick sauce with the cooking juices and some stock and garlic that had been roasted with the lamb. Picture is kinda ugly, but the food was great.

gallery_5404_94_52601.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Ciao Foodman! Nice to see you and your food. It all looks wonderful, and really, I won't hold the ketchup thing against you. :laugh::laugh:

Do you mind sharing your recipe for the chick pea fritters? I've sort of been collecting some different recipe variations on this theme.

Ciao Foodman! Nice to see you and your food. It all looks wonderful, and really, I won't hold the ketchup thing against you.  :laugh:  :laugh:

Do you mind sharing your recipe for the chick pea fritters? I've sort of been collecting some different recipe variations on this theme.

Thanks Hathor. The recipe I use for the Panelle is from "Jamie's Italy" by Jamie Oliver (I do add a bit more chickpea flour than he asks for though). I'll look it up when I get home and post it.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 5 months later...

Allora, I don't think I've ever contributed to these "Cooking and Cuisine of..." threads, but no time like the present.

Pasta con le sarde

My own weird spin on it. Sauteed some arugula and a bit of garlic in olive oil, added currants, red pepper flakes, splash of sherry vinegar, and, of all things, the tiniest bit of cinnamon. The fresh California sardines were "grilled" (if we can call what the Cuisinart Griddler does as such) separately and then placed on top. Final dish was a bit more agro than dolce, surprisingly, but pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself.

gallery_18974_1420_2683.jpg