• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Dogs

• 8 years later...

Normally my cocktail of choice for cocktail hour is a nice gin and tonic (I currently favor Seagram's Lime Twisted Gin) and Hansen's tonic.  However, recently I've switched to a Salty Dog.  Same gin (from the freezer) with white grapefruit juice and a dash of salt.

I've read that an authentic Salty Dog is served without ice but I can't imagine drinking it warm!

Anyone else love this drink?

I prefer a Greyhound myself but have been known to have a Salty Dog. Wasn't that popular though with the drinking crowd but I can understand that with the usual bitter canned grapefruit juice tasting like ass.

My preference is to use ruby red grapefruit.

• Like 1

Since I have access to lots of free grapefruits in season, I tend to go for greyhounds. Maybe, the no ice admonition is due to the fact that many people store the fresh fruit in the refrigerator so that the resulting juice is cold (not bracingly icy, though). Also, the grapefruit season coincides with winter, (not that it gets all that cold here in southern AZ) so maybe being served warmer is a reflection of this being a winter drink.

I prefer a Greyhound myself but have been known to have a Salty Dog. Wasn't that popular though with the drinking crowd but I can understand that with the usual bitter canned grapefruit juice tasting like ass.

My preference is to use ruby red grapefruit.

Small amounts of salt reduce the sensation of bitterness. Most people go overboard and it tastes like ass. But a slight dusting around the rim helps a lot.

PS: I am a guy.

A trick for Salty Dog's (which I love) and Margarita's (ditto) is to wipe the rim of the glass thinly with honey, then roll in the coarse salt. This sticks the salt pretty firmly to the glass, and you take just what you want as you like with your tongue, and no more.

You can rarely get this in a bar. They don't have time to fool with it. But whenever you do see this, you are in a very good bar. This is where I got the idea that I've used for decades.

I can get refrigerated, not from concentrate, ruby red grapefruit juice at the local grocery. It's cheaper than buying the grapefruits and nearly as good.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <