• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Sweat ice cream

Alex

"Along with milk, sugar and the other usual ingredients, the ice cream is made with...a blend of Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce and Blair's Megadeath Hot Sauce, along with a secret ingredient. Chile peppers, habaneros and Thai chiles are then stirred in."

Click if you dare.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm pretty much opposed to the idea of ridiculously spicy ice cream and frozen desserts. The whole point of having a frozen dessert after a spicy meal is to cool down the palate, in my opinion.

I think that certain types of ice cream can benefit from slight spicing, such as a really dark chocolate with cinnamon, or a rich vanilla, perhaps with a little bit of habanero or cayenne dust to add that "Mexican" flavor, but totally over the top spicing like a Dave's Insanity flavor just seems disgusting and pointless.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've made really good habanero ice cream, but the spiciness was incidental -- last year's peppers just had such great fruity smoky flavor that I was trying to find something sweet to do with them that would dim the heat as much as possible without losing the flavor. Ice cream and panna cotta came closest -- the heat hit you after the fact, so at least you got the flavor first.

I don't see that working out here, though -- I'd rather have the butter pecan.

Sounds like a perfect end to a 21st birthday bar crawl.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I think that certain types of ice cream can benefit from slight spicing, such as a really dark chocolate with cinnamon, or a rich vanilla, perhaps with a little bit of habanero or cayenne dust to add that "Mexican" flavor, but totally over the top spicing like a Dave's Insanity flavor just seems disgusting and pointless.

Agreed that spicy ice cream for its own sake is stupid. It's interesting how hot peppers and pepper sauces have the tendency to bring out the stupid in people. That whole heat/masochism axis just reeks of displaced testosterone...

I agree with the above comments, and I have to add this. Those hot sauces mentioned, they're already blended with other flavoring agents, such as vinegar, salt, etc. Adding stuff like that to ice cream? Yuck...

That ice cream sounds nasty. But I've had a wasabi ice cream that was spicy and very good, and I like chocolate with a bit of cayenne. Moderation is the key here.

• 4 months later...

That particular recipe sounds like a game-show stunt, but the idea of spicy-picante ice cream sounds worthwhile.

Perhaps a person would prefer it for a starter rather than dessert?

I'd like to serve a picante icecream atop to-die-for fudgie brownies. How far away is July 4th?

Or a cayenne & turmeric (plus supporting flavors) icecream on ripe fresh melon.

The "hot" icecream thing (methylcellulose thread) however, doesnt appeal.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 1 month later...