• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Bread in Cambridge

I've been in Cambridge for the better part of a year now and the best bread I have found has been in the Market. But this stuff is far from stellar, and when you move beyond the selection of rye breads (of which there is an impressive selection) the quality is ... hmm ... questionable.

Now, having just returned from Paris I am at a loss to find a single place in Cambridge that can make a decent baguette, with its wonderful chewy-crisp combination. Anyone else know of a good bakery in Cambridge for such things?

Sadly not, I've noticed there seems to be to be a gap in the market for a good artisan bakery in cambridge -- though I'd be delighted to be set straight if I'm wrong. I generally get nice wheatflour bread from london, and eat rye bread the rest of the time (or supermarket own-brand english muffins, for which I've an indefensible penchant).

Some of the loaves they sell at limoncello on mill road aren't bad, but they're not as fresh as direct from a bakery, so better for toasting etc.

I don't recall if Le Gros Franck sell any bread (hills rd)? Or perhaps the Urban Farm Shop (norfolk st.)?

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

I vaguely remember Nadia's Patisserie having decent bread. Not sure it is still there?

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Options for bread in Cambridge that I'm aware of are as follows:

a)supermarkets. Enough said.

b)Local bakers:Norths of Sawston and Barkers of Coton - manufacturing bakers.

Newnham Bakery, Maskells Bakery, Balzanos: supply a number of outlets and have their own shops. "Traditional bakers" doing breads and confectionery and using chemical improvers etc. Balzanos have an italian/continental twist.

Donaldsons are exclusively baking off frozen and pre-baked goods.

CobsBakery.com - that's me - organic, chemical free, vegetarian and working on being an artizanal craft bakery - not perfect by any means but we welcome help and support! But I'm afraid we dont do baguettes. As far as I know all the baguettes in Cambridge are part baked and frozen for bake-off at point of sale.