• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

\Artisan Francais - New bakery (Kansas City)

At 119th and Glenwood, unbelievably next to Johnny's Tavern.

Anyone been yet? I'm taking a hit for the team and either going tomorrow morning or Tues morning (yes, they are open July 4, 7 am to 2 pm), will report back slavishly and calorically.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

At 119th and Glenwood, unbelievably next to Johnny's Tavern.

Anyone been yet?  I'm taking a hit for the team and either going tomorrow morning or Tues morning (yes, they are open July 4, 7 am to 2 pm), will report back slavishly and calorically.

Hey, Wench, are you implying that Johnny's is not haute cuisine? Generations of KU students beg to differ! I hope they don't start serving their famous burgers on batards, though. That would be a travesty :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I think it's more the brainbendingness of their locale wedged inbetween the tavern, a paint store, and the eye-searing ultrasuede tones of the contemporary furniture store.

Then again, my favorite french bakery in Chicago was, for a while, inbetween a XXX video store, a bike store, and a head shop.

No photos of the bakery, as I cannot wrangle three year old and a camera at the same time.

They were slammed- understaffed due to holiday and long, long line. Limited selection of 'breakfast' type goodies but I think that may have been a 'sold out' situation (eg- I know they sell almond croissants, yet there were none out). Varied selection of breads- we bought a baguette and a walnut-bleu cheese (special loaf of the day). Got a couple of croissants and a pair of pain au chocolat, and a selection of pastries (coffee eclair, as they sold out of chocolate eclairs in front of our very eyes and hi, if you were there and subjected to my child wailing in lamentation for the denial of chocolate eclair, I apologize. Also, a chocolate ganache...thing and a napoleon)

So far, the ravaging has been thorough. Baguette gets 2 thumbs up from the kiddo, who savaged half of it in the car. The coffee eclair was assertive but not bitter, and the pate choux was not soggy in the least (also, ravaged by kid). The chocolate croissant was light, flaky, and crispy around the edges, little shy on the chocolate. Husband gives the regular croissant a big old 'mmmmmph, 'sgood'.

Photos of what remainds when I find the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

The husband swung by after work on Tuesday afternoon to try and get me a treat.

They had one loaf of bread left at 5 pm and nothing else.

So at least they're not overbaking and throwing away product at the end of the day!

I'd strongly suggest, if you're not there at the crack of, calling ahead and placing an order. The coffee eclair are very good, as are the chocolate croissant. The napoleons are a little too sweet for my taste. The selection is very classic and somewhat limited- moreso if you're not there very early!

• 3 weeks later...

Today on the Walt Bodene Show, Ferruza says that he had poor timing on his visit - as Chapin had just published her review and the bakery was pretty picked over by the time he arrived...

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

I went to Artisan Francais for breakfast this morning. The quiche lorraine was very nice, the crust flakey and buttery. It was heated to order in on oven. I also had the petit pain au chocolate to go with it and the medium cafe au lait. A perfect morning temperature to sit outside and read the paper. Zeemanb, I recommend you check this place out. The bread looked great. Chicagowench, thanks for the heads up on this place. I don't have to go to Dean and Deluca anymore for pastries in OP. And I saw where the Crate and Barrel is going in.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Did you have to get up at the butt crack to get anything?  Pain au chocolat - mmmm!! :raz:

Not really, I got there about 9:15 and all the display cases were full of great looking goodies. It makes me glad that I don't live nearby. The eclairs and the palmiers also looked yummy. You can see for yourself if you clickety here and then click on the products link.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I went there on Friday. I had mid morning meeting out there and didn't get to the bakery till 10:30. Ham and Cheese Crousant. Buttery, cheesey and yummy. Some of my favorite words. :laugh: the ham was high quality. Perfect ratio of meat to cheese to bread. I just wish it was on the Plaza or somewhere closer to me. :sad:

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.