• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Becoming a cooking instructor

This is my first posting since joining and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but.................. been in the biz for 34 years :blink: , had my own place in Nelson for 18 (Stanley's on Baker). Can't keep up with the young line cooks like I used to (knees, lower back, etc.) done a bit of instructing as a guest at the college level but would like to share what knowledge I do have at the secondary or junior secondary level. Any hints?

While I'm at it, I totally enjoy the interaction between you all and hope to meet some of you in the future. :smile:

Thanks to all for reminding me how much joy there is in food. :wub:

The glory isn't in never falling but in getting up everytime you fall

:wink:

I think you are already on your way! I too found myself ever more unable to keep up. It was not so much with my coworkers, but with my employees. Catering at 50 is not what it used to be; and I was so tired.

I have now been teaching for nearly 5 years and find it very rewarding. I teach at a post secondary school that has other subjects, but our plant is strictly culinary. I did work first for a school that was less than honorable (all culinary schools place premiums on $$$$$ - a necessary evil). The school where I work now is very good and I feel that we are truly contributing to our student's skills and knowledge.

One thing I have discovered is that a premium is put on certification in education that was not apparent in th "world". I am coming up hard on my CEC with the ACF and most of my coworkers have one kind of certification or another. If you have yours already, it may be a door opener, but most schools are willing to assist you in that quest. My school pays my membership and all certification expenses.

Good luck to you and welcome to the world of education.

Chèrie

This is my first posting since joining and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but.................. been in the biz for 34 years :blink: , had my own place in Nelson for 18 (Stanley's on Baker). Can't keep up with the young line cooks like I used to (knees, lower back, etc.) done a bit of instructing as a guest at the college level but would like to share what knowledge I do have at the secondary or junior secondary level. Any hints?

While I'm at it, I totally enjoy the interaction between you all and hope to meet some of you in the future. :smile:

Thanks to all for reminding me how much joy there is in food. :wub:

Welcome! I have been teaching recreational cooking classes for about 4 years and I find it to be tons of fun. I teach for Sur La Table, Williams and Sonoma, private corporations etc.... Basically, I teach wherever I can. If you can afford to have a flexible schedule (and desire one) going the recreational culinary route could be a good alternative. The setback is no set salary, benefits etc... and you do have to "sell" yourself quite a bit as an independent contractor since the market for good teachers/chefs can be quite competitive.

If you live near a Sur La Table or other recreational cooking school, it might be worth your while to contact them. Be specific about the types of classes you would be interested in teaching (sending specific class proposals is even better with recipes) and when you are available. Also, note if you have any prior teaching experience (which is VERY important). Before I started teaching, I ran a hands-on, recreational cooking school, and I had a tough time finding great chefs that were also skilled teachers, so any background you may have, such as giving presentations, taking a public speaking class etc.... will greatly help!

Good luck!

Kendra

It's easier to find work teaching recreational cooking classes than it is to get a job teaching in a professional program, in my limited experience. Besides the Sur La Table/Williams Sonoma route, you can always check with area community colleges, area public schools (many offer adult education courses in the evenings) and, if you like working with children, talk to some summer camps. I started off teaching children at a summer camp, which worked well for me since my regular job was as chef for a sorority that gave me my summers off. I now am a member of the adjunct faculty at a community college and am trying to position myself for future openings in their professional program.

Teaching in a professional program requires the same skills as teaching recreationally, but it also requires a willingness to push paper and to make hard decisions like devising and grading tests. Some places may offer continuing education credits for some of the classes they offer--my culinary school alma mater does this--and teaching some of those classes may help you out as you try to go full-time.

You can also market yourself for private cooking classes. This requires a lot of organization and self-promotion, but in my experience it pays far better than any other kind of teaching. Plus it's real fun to come up with classes from scratch. Most of the places I teach have strict no-alcohol policies, so for me one of the best things about teaching privately is the chance to work with alcohol and bring wines into the classroom environment.

No Alcohol Policy???????

How does this balance with reality?

To the OP, there is no substitute for real life experience.

You are more than qualified to be a culinary instructor IMHO.

I have been through "instructional" courses such as CAE but I really consider them to be a waste of time. We are a practical based school with about 20% theory content. Classroom instruction is really secondary to hands on experience.

What's even better is that you can design your program in such a way that you are constantly learning from your students' research.

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses I do appreciate your input, however what has been, kind of, skipped over is that I am in Canada (B.C. to be exact). I have taught at college level and want to teach at a secondary level. In B.C. that would be grades 7-9 (Jr.) or grades 10-12 (Sr.). Again I apprecate you taking the time to respond, but maybe someone can help me out with my particular situation. :smile:

Oh yeah, just so I don't sound like a doughhead :blink: , secondary schools and post secondary are represented by different unions :sad:, and in some districts there is no great love between the two. That and the fact that it's summer break is making finding information more difficut to obtain locally :wacko: Thanks again,Rick

Hi Rick

I teach professional and recreational classes.

I'm not clear about what you mean when you say you want to teach cooking at the secondary level. I am thinking that the system in B.C. is a maybe a little like France? Secondary school is also vocational school?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Hi Rick

I teach professional and recreational classes.

I'm not clear about what you mean when you say you want to teach cooking at the secondary level. I am thinking that the system in B.C. is a maybe a little like France? Secondary school is also vocational school?

Hi Chef,

Junior secondary covers grades 7 to 9 (12-15 years old), senior secondary covers grades 10 to 12 (ages 15-18). While not vocational school, Sr. secondary is often a jumping board to college or university. My hope is to teach the fundamentals to younger groups of students and to guide those inclined to further education as well as finding them stages or part time jobs in the industry. By the way I checked out the C.S.C.A. sight, is that where you are teaching?

That is exactly the type of program I have been incouraging apprentices and other kitchen staff to take. Although there are cheaper places to go to school my belief is that one would be hard pressed to surpass the Cordon Bleu. Whether in Europe, Canada or the United States. Thanks for the e-mail adress, I'll write for more info.

Edited by Chef Rick (log)

Salut Chef Rick

Yes C.S.C.A. is where I teach full time.

I've taught at Whole Foods, Sur La Table, will be at central market in August and I've also taught through the LAUSD chefs in the classroom program, private classes and, um, lots more :-D

Look forward to your email.

Edited by chefzadi (log)

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Are you hoping to teach in the public school system? Each province has different rules about who can teach in their schools, but unless you have a teaching certificate, you might be out of luck. Most cooking classes in schools are taught by BHEcs who also do their certification in order to teach in schools (at least in Manitoba).

If you want to teach secondary school-aged teenagers, then you could try setting up classes for teenagers through a local restaurant, community center, gourmet grocery store, or perhaps your local community college would be willing to set up a class for teenagers as part of their community outreach programs (if they have any).

Incidentally, I used to spend summers in Nelson, visiting an aunt who lived there (she lived there for about 30 years, and just left 5-ish years ago). It's such a beautiful town. Maybe you can have some classes during the summer, when all those millionaires are vacationing in and around Nelson with their kids??

ChefRick -- As I've lived all over the place but continue to be geographically slow, where is Nelson? CIA instructors have a minimum of 7 years' experience and are amazing -- some have culinary degrees, some don't.

I've been writing, cooking, teaching, and doing consulting work for a long time and the teaching is, to me, what I can pretty much do until I'm 100. At my currently "advanced" age (48, egad!), I can easily keep up with the 24 year olds on the line, but find that I really don't want to deal with what goes along with it. I prefer teaching participation classes to all ages: More money, more fun, and more control over what you teach and how. My new kitchen is being built for teaching; I do a fair number in private homes and in various other kitchen settings.

One way I get started in a new market, is to donate a cooking class dinner party to a local auction or fundraiser. I also attend others' classes to see how they do things.

Post again about your next steps, okay?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I'm a culinary instructor in Victoria BC - I work in a occupational rehab program for the health authority. I have cooking trade papers and a master's in adult ed (UBC).

In BC, secondary schools have the most rigid requirement among all institutional settings. I think you'll need to do a one-year teaching program at a university. Normally, you'd need a degree, in addition to the year, but I'm pretty sure if you have trade papers, it's considered in lieu of the degree (but you may need a CCC ticket, in addition to a red seal, I"m not sure). The BC College of Teacher's is pretty fussy about formal education requirements.

Clearly, recreational education is the easiest to get in to, because it's all personal marketing, but it can be a tough living if you're outside a major centre (and even if you're not - I do little on the side and it's fun, but I wouldn't want to make it a full time gig). Colleges, as you likely know, have sensible professional requirements and pay decent money. Secondary schools, pay well and it's rewarding work, but the requirments are high and foods/nutrition and cafeteria classes are always subject to provincial funding - so they're among the first to get hit in cutback time.

Have you looked into the Provincial Instructor Diploma Program at VCC?

6-30 hr courses with constant intake.

Perhaps this is what you require?

Another thought would be to phone the school board in the district that you wish to work in and ask them what they would require besides your expertise. :smile: