• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey Farmer's Markets

I see signs on Eisenhower Parkway in Livingston pointing to a "Jersey Fresh" (I believe) market. However, looking on the NJ site only points to something on S. Livingston Avenue. Does anyone where the farm is that the signs point to on Eisenhower? I am always flying by when I see it and it is too late to make the turn.

The market on Ridgedale in East Hanover is open. Haven't been there yet, but I see the signs. I think that is on Mondays.

And West Orange is open. Fridays. I pass that one every day!!! :wub: I stop there often. It's my favorite - for convenience only. I have to broaden my horizons and see what else is out there!!!!!

I heard Bloomfield is closed this year, but will reopen in 2007. I can't seem to get there before they close. However, I do see it listed on the NJ site (at a different location in Bloomfield than last year), so I really can't say if it is open or not. Can't spread rumors :sad:

I heard Bloomfield is closed this year, but will reopen in 2007.  I can't seem to get there before they close.  However, I do see it listed on the NJ site (at a different location in Bloomfield than last year), so I really can't say if it is open or not.  Can't spread rumors  :sad:

I tried going to the Bloomfield market 2 weeks ago...no sign whatsoever that there is or would be a market there. Didn't know they were supposed to be closed all year, but it certainly seems that way.

Has anyone tried the produce at Hillcrest Farms on Bloomfield Ave. toward the east end of Verona? I drive by there every so often but haven't had time to stop.

Richfield Farms on Van Houten in Clifton (west of Clifton Ave.) has good Jersey produce, but they can be annoying in that they don't let you choose your own corn, they insist on choosing it for you. All other produce, you can pick out your own, but they're sticklers on the corn for some reason.

These farm stands can be handy if you can't hook up with a farmers' market - it's not always easy when you're a working stiff.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I see signs on Eisenhower Parkway in Livingston pointing to a "Jersey Fresh" (I believe) market.  However, looking on the NJ site only points to something on S. Livingston Avenue.  Does anyone where the farm is that the signs point to on Eisenhower?  I am always flying by when I see it and it is too late to make the turn.

I believe that's the one in the Livingston Mall parking lot (Fridays?).

Has anyone tried the produce at Hillcrest Farms on Bloomfield  Ave. toward the east end of Verona?  I drive by there every so often but haven't had time to stop.

Richfield Farms on Van Houten in Clifton (west of Clifton Ave.) has good Jersey produce, but they can be annoying in that they don't let you choose your own corn, they insist on choosing it for you.  All other produce, you can pick out your own, but they're sticklers on the corn for some reason.

These farm stands can be handy if you can't hook up with a farmers' market - it's not always easy when you're a working stiff.

I forgot about Richfield Farms! Thanks!

I've seen the sign on Eisenhower Parkway too - it's by Dorsa Avenue. Since it's there everyday, I don't think it is the Livingston Shopping Center one. I think I actually spied a stand at this intersection. I think it's on the northwest corner.

Everytime I pass by, I'm running somewhere. I'll try to stop next week and report back.

Marie

NJDuchess

The market on Ridgedale in East Hanover is open.  Haven't been there yet, but I see the signs.  I think that is on Mondays.

Actually, just off Ridgedale on School St. Turn at the CVS. Not a very big market. I haven't been yet this year. The Madison farmer's market on Thursdays at the high school has a much smaller selection of vendors than in years past. I'm planning on going to Morristown tomorrow, haven't been yet this year.

Union Hill Farms, just off Rt. 10 in Denville, sells at Morristown and last year had great corn every week.

Has anyone tried the produce at Hillcrest Farms on Bloomfield  Ave. toward the east end of Verona?  I drive by there every so often but haven't had time to stop.

Richfield Farms on Van Houten in Clifton (west of Clifton Ave.) has good Jersey produce, but they can be annoying in that they don't let you choose your own corn, they insist on choosing it for you.  All other produce, you can pick out your own, but they're sticklers on the corn for some reason.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Hi, everyone! Keeping cool???? :wacko:

Just wanted to report that I ran to the East Hanover market today. The tomatoes and peaches were so-so. I'll wait to try them again later in the season.

HOWEVER.... the corn was phenomenal!!!!!! I only bought six ears and would have purchased more had I known how wonderful it was. I hate the idea of waiting until next Monday to purchase more. While I was there, I noticed a sign that mentioned the names of the cities that this grower would be each week, but since I was on my lunch hour, didn't get a chance to write it down. Does anyone know the name of the farm and the other places it will be this week?

Never mind. I found my answer and they are in Livingston on Thursdays as well. Now, WHICH Livingston? Meaning, the mall parking lot, South Livingston Ave, or the one on Eisenhower Parkway (none of which I have been to)? I called them but received no answer. Does anyone know?

Honestly, the corn was to die for! :wub:

Corn certainly seemed to be at or near its peak last week. Wonder what this heat will do to the crop. Ears seemed smaller this week, has the heat stunted their growth?

I went nuts buying peaches at the R'ford mkt today - big peaches, little peaches, those donut shaped "peaches" (which I'm sure someone will tell me aren't peaches at all). I was going to stop with my initial bag of big ones but then noticed how the boxes of the little ones were glowing at me & just had to take some home. Or maybe I'd been in the sun too long.

Anyway I was concerned that this heat would somehow devastate the peach crop & there wouldn't be any more till next year. Probably doesn't quite work that way, but in case it does I've done my best.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

Talk about it being hot out! I made the mistake today of stopping at the Eisenhower Parkway (Bottone) farm stand at at 5:15 on my way to dinner. The fruits/vegetables must have been out there since noon (he is open daily noon to 6 - very small stand). I will go back, but only on my lunch hour, since I cannot imagine having all of those fruits and vegetables sitting out in 100 degree weather to be very good for them. He gave me a sugar plum to try, and it was extremely warm. Not pleasant at all. I bought corn (50 cents an ear) and he picked the ears out himself, and handed them to me. I will report back on the corn.

• 3 weeks later...

The North Ward of Newark now has a farmer's market every Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. through October (or is it November?). It started today (Aug. 19, 2006) in Branch Brook Park just below Bloomfield Ave., just off the road that goes north-south through the park (Branch Brook Drive?). I received a postcard in the mail about it. Unfortunately the postcard is unclear as to the location, and tells people to go to the Branch Brook Park stop on the Newark City Subway, whereas it *should* tell them to go to the Bloomfield Ave. stop. I sent an e-mail to the e-mail address on the postcard correcting them and inquiring about the exact location and they were very nice.

There's not a ton of stuff there, but it's nice-looking stuff. Prices are reasonable too. Tomatoes about $1.80/lb, big bicolor or white ears of corn about $0.45 each or 6 for $2.25, eggplant (purple or white) for $1/lb, etc. etc. Didn't see a price on the cantaloupes, but they were really big. Other stuff too.

No lettuce though. I asked and they said they might have some next week.

The farmer's truck says "Farmer Al's" (or something like that), Jamesburg/Frenchtown/Monroe Twp.

There was also a vegetarian and vegan caterer there with a table, trying to promote his business.

If you're in the Bloomfield area, and missing the Bloomfield farmer's market this year, this is another option. Decent park of Newark. Just go right down Bloomfield Ave. to the park. (And on your way down, or back, you can hit the Crazy Taco for some good pupusas!)

I can say that, based on eating mass quantities of both, this week the corn at Richfield is (a) better than that at the Farmers' Mkt and (b) unquestionably the best we've had this year. Get it while you can.

I finally gave myself a Sunday off from our riding club and headed up to the Lafayett farmers market.

here is a picture of Most of my haul

gallery_23695_426_4507.jpg

dont adjust your color settings

we have the bi-colored corn from the fresh sack, orange tomatoes because I finally found a tomato I like, round zucchine because they are easier to grill, white eggplant just for the irony, hardneck garlic, a cucumber, and Blue Potatoes :rolleyes:

not shown is the peach crumb pie....thats for later, or the cheddar, ooops bread too

tracey

edit.......PIE IS GOOD

my goodness I think our whole dinner used 1/2 of a clove of that garlic. Mmm must make scampi

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I can say that, based on eating mass quantities of both, this week the corn at Richfield is (a) better than that at the Farmers' Mkt and (b) unquestionably the best we've had this year. Get it while you can.

Do they have any good tomatoes? hierlooms?

They do have tomatoes but I've gone right past them, been buying them at the R'ford market. I'll try to look more closely next time I'm out at Richfield.

Interestingly, Whole Foods seems to be using Jersey Fresh corn as a loss leader this season, with prices vaccillating between 25 and 40 cents an ear. I haven't tried it.

Just back from Richfield. Lots of field tomatoes, no heirlooms.

They have had all white corn this week, which has been very good, but not quite as exquisite as the bicolor variety that they had last week.

No more green beans at either Richfield or the R'ford market today. I fear that the season is beginning to wane. But there are still plenty of fine peaches and tomatoes around, and they will be savored.

Just back from Richfield.  Lots of field tomatoes, no heirlooms.

They have had all white corn this week, which has been very good, but not quite as exquisite as the bicolor variety that they had  last week.

No more green beans at either Richfield or the R'ford market today.  I fear that the season is beginning to wane.  But there are still plenty of fine peaches and tomatoes around, and they will be savored.

Thanks..

I went to the Union Square Greenmarket last weekend. What a treat that was.

• 1 year later...

The 2007 farmers' market season has a few good weeks left, I imagine. I've been to a bunch this year: Montclair, Ridgewood, Rivervale, Teaneck and Boonton. I didn't make it up to Nyack or Hackensack. It was a great summer.

There is always room to improve. Some observations:

While buying local is a noble goal, for me driving an hour to Boonton is probably not the best way to achieve this goal.

In June, a friend of mine observed greenhouse tomatoes from Canada at a NJ stand, which didn't seem right either.

Plastic bags are ubiquitous at farmers' markets. A better idea, observed in Teaneck, is to keep the bags behind the counter. Customers bring fruit and vegetables to the cashier, and the cashier bags the produce, often using only a bag or two instead of six or seven (for those who don't bring their own).