• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey Farmer's Markets

well, lafayette, the closest one to me opened today between the pouring rain...

not much yet but some old regulars were there;

Windy Brow Orchards - blueberry crumb pie for johnnybird and their cherries

DanaRay Farms - some nice fresh herbs and fresh swiss chard as well as some of their homemade goat milk soap

met a new guy who does organic free-range pig and cow - we will be talking later

another farm(can't remember their name and i buy from them all the time - bad susan)- had potted herbs, lettuces, first bright, vibrant summer squash, rhubarb, potatoes, strawberries, garlic and garlic scrapes and beautiful beets(which i didn't buy since johnnybird won't touch them - his quote "they taste like dirt")

missing this time but hopefully back soon: the raspberry guys, the cheese guy from lafayette(really good cheddar and dilled colby he makes)and the goat cheese people.

maybe even Westfall Winery who make some nice whites with local grapes.

hmm.... i see a squash frittata with sauteed chard and garlic for dinner

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My mind is all muddled, but just today (or the other day?) I was reading about how the Hackensack Farmer's Market will be opening up July 5th (I think). I'm assuming the other ones in Bergen are on a similar schedule. Looking forward to this summer's yummies!

That Lafayette Farmer's Market sounds real neat, but too far for me to go. I did go to the Ridgewood Farmer's Market today, the opening day for the season. Exactly the same as last year:

Two produce vendors, one larger, cheaper, and generally busier than the other, although they're both pretty good. Great cheap herbs. I got a bunch of basil and a bunch of oregano for $1.00 each.

The Honey Lady: I believe this woman is affiliated with the larger produce vendor. Great honey in a variety of flavors, although the choices were limited today. I got some great lemon zest honey, $5 for 1 lb. She should have strawberry, blueberry, and other fruit flavors in the next few weeks.

The mozzarella/sausage guys: These guys make great mozzarella and have dried sausages, sundried tomatoes, and cannolis in addition to the mozzarella made on site. Good stuff.

Picklelicious: Great kosher pickles and olives in several varieties. The hot & spicy are my favorite.

Baked goods vendor: They seem to be very popular. Some good breads, but most of their sweet goods seem kind of so-so to me.

The Jam Man: A new addition last year, the Jam Man is back and I'm glad he is. This guy makes some incredible stuff. Very nice guy too. He didn't seem to have a whole lot of flavors available today, but I got some blueberry/rhubarb jam and some outrageous tropical peach jam. He offers samples of everything too. He raised his prices a bit, $6 for one jar or $10 for two, but this is some of the best jam you will ever taste and it's well worth the money (and I'm cheap).

Overall, nothing new and exciting, but the old and familiar is good, so why mess with success? I'm looking forward to going back next week.

The Farmer's Market in River Vale will be opening on or about the 1st or 2nd Thursday in River Vale in Bergen County.

It is located on Mark Lane which is the turn before Edgewood Country Club if you're heading North on River Vale Road from Westwood Avenue coming from Kinderkamack Road.

I do hope all the great vendors including the "PA Dutch/Amish" folks and the crabcake/italian foodstuff guy shows up.

We are hoping to get 1 or 2 shopping times done there before our big move down the DC area... hope there are some good ones down there as well!

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I noticed the Ridgewood Farmer's market was open yesterday. They usually have 2 produce tables - good deals. A baked goods table. They also have pickle and olive table I think they are called Pickilicious or something like that - they have good spicy olives and pickles with red pepper flakes. They also have a truck with homemade Mozzerella and sausage, roasted peppers and stuff. We had the mozzerella last year and while it is fresh and milky it was way too salty, maybe we just got an extra salty batch.

Oh and they have a jam guy who is awesome. We had some jalapeno rasberry jam last year that was fantastic. He also does gift baskets with crackers and jams and things that you can order for the holidays and stuff.

Edited by Deldino (log)

The River Vale Farmer's Market is good too, and I hope to get there too. The produce vendors there seem to have a bit more variety than Ridgewood, but they're also more expensive. The Amish sometimes have some interesting things, including some great, cheap, delicious cheeses. The Jam Man's jams blow the Amish jams away though. The seafood guy is very interesting, and although I haven't bought anything from him yet, I may take the plunge this year. He's not cheap, but the stuff looks so good.

For those planning on going to the River Vale market, be forewarned that parking is a NIGHTMARE, so get there and get out early, or you'll be waiting 45 minutes to find and/or back out of a parking spot in very tight quarters. Still, it's a nice market, although I always thought it was weird that it's held on Thursday afternoons. Still, I'm looking forward to going there.

Are there any samplings available? Especially for the cheeses... O_O

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

For those planning on going to the River Vale market, be forewarned that parking is a NIGHTMARE, so get there and get out early, or you'll be waiting 45 minutes to find and/or back out of a parking spot in very tight quarters.  Still, it's a nice market, although I always thought it was weird that it's held on Thursday afternoons. Still, I'm looking forward to going there.

Do you have this mixed up with another place? There is a huge parking lot for the ball field, parking has always been plentiful. It is a small market, with only a few vendors. (??)

My favorite market is the Nyack Farmer's Market, about 16 vendors, lots of home grown stuff, an organic farmer, a bread baker, cheese maker, pickles, flowers, and really good things mostly. Thursdays, 9AM-2PM.

For those planning on going to the River Vale market, be forewarned that parking is a NIGHTMARE, so get there and get out early, or you'll be waiting 45 minutes to find and/or back out of a parking spot in very tight quarters.  Still, it's a nice market, although I always thought it was weird that it's held on Thursday afternoons. Still, I'm looking forward to going there.

Do you have this mixed up with another place? There is a huge parking lot for the ball field, parking has always been plentiful. It is a small market, with only a few vendors. (??)

My favorite market is the Nyack Farmer's Market, about 16 vendors, lots of home grown stuff, an organic farmer, a bread baker, cheese maker, pickles, flowers, and really good things mostly. Thursdays, 9AM-2PM.

Hi - Do you know which street the Nyack Farmers Market is on? I wonder why so many have them on Thursdays when us working stiffs can't make it - That is why I always end up at the Ridgewood one - It is one of the few open on the weekend.

Hi - Do you know which street the Nyack Farmers Market is on? I wonder why so many have them on Thursdays when us working stiffs can't make it - That is why I always end up at the Ridgewood one - It is one of the few open on the weekend.

It's in the big parking lot behind the Helen Hayes Theater on Main St.

If you don't mind a beautiful drive, there's a farmer's market just over the border in Spring Valley, New York. The town is such a wonderful little place for an afternoon trip. It's basically all the way up route 94, so you're taking 23 North for a good long time.

NJ Transit runs a line up to Spring Valley if you'd rather take the train, but the views are fantastic, especially at sunset.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Do you have this mixed up with another place?  There is a huge parking lot for the ball field, parking has always been plentiful.  It is a small market, with only a few vendors.  (??)

My favorite market is the Nyack Farmer's Market, about 16 vendors, lots of home grown stuff, an organic farmer, a bread baker, cheese maker, pickles, flowers, and really good things mostly.  Thursdays, 9AM-2PM.

Well, last year, they blocked off about half the field from being used as parking, and that's what made it a nightmare. I went a few times last year, right when they opened, and each time, by the time I got out at about 1:15 pm, the field was jammed with cars and people. It took me almost 15 minutes to get out each time, and this was early. Maybe it will be better this year.

The Nyack market sounds interesting, and I like that it's early hours. Are they open for business yet?

It's in the big parking lot behind the Helen Hayes Theater on Main St.

Thanks I know exactly where you are talking about now.

If you don't mind a beautiful drive, there's a farmer's market just over the border in Spring Valley, New York.  The town is such a wonderful little place for an afternoon trip.  It's basically all the way up route 94, so you're taking 23 North for a good long time. 

NJ Transit runs a line up to Spring Valley if you'd rather take the train, but the views are fantastic, especially at sunset.

It sounds like you are confusing Spring Valley with Warwick or Pine Island areas. These are off Rte 94. And there is a NJ Transit bus to Warwick. (196)

Spring Valley is a hamlet off Rte 59 and Rte 45 in Rockland County...

Well, I took a ride to the Nyack Farmer's Market today, based on Menton's advice. It was pretty impressive. Here's a breakdown of some of the more interesting vendors:

Soul Food Vendor: - The labels say Scotty's Soul Food. This guy was awesome. He had chicken wings, barbecue sauce, collard greens, macaroni & cheese, cornbread, and butter pound cakes, to name a few things. Different, and stuff seemed to be very high quality. I bought a pound cake and some honey vanilla cornbread. The mac & cheese looked great, but the ingedients listed onions, which is a deal breaker for me. He told me the only farmer's market he does is the one in Nyack. Too bad. :sad:

Cheese Vendors: Two ladies, one specializing in goat cheeses, one specializing mostly in sheep cheeses. Both were good. I bought a small garlic & herb goat cheese log from the one vendor and a small piece of some mixed cow/sheep's milk cheese (forget the exact kind) from the other vendor.

Bakers: There were actually two baked good vendors, but one of them was really interesting, selling all kinds of knishes and stuffed breads in addition to the usual fare. I got some knishes and a sausage & pepper pocket.

Panzarella Pasta/Seafood: This is the group that does the River Vale show too. I bought some cheese ravioli and eggplant rollatini from them. They also sell marinated shrimp, crab cakes, regular and smoked mozzarella, and buffalo burgers. I may get some buffalo burgers next time!

Pickle Vendor: This vendor sold pickles, olives, and green tomatoes. The pickles were very good (he offered samples), but not quite as yummy as Picklelicious's pickles. No wacky pickle flavors either (horseradish, hot & spicy, etc.).

Barbecued Meat Vendor: I think these guys were cooking up eats to eat at the market. The food looked delicious, but it was too early for me to eat lunch! I'll definitely try them next time.

Organic/Natural Lotion Vendor: I didn't buy anything here, but it looked like they had some neat stuff. Do they belong at a farmer's market? Sure, why not?

The Jam Man: Yup, my pal The Jam Man works Nyack in addition to Ridgewood. (I think he's based out of New City, so Nyack is a hop skip and a jump for him.) If you haven't tried his jams, you don't know what you're missing! I got some mango jam and some sour cherry & pineapple jam today. Should be delicious with Scotty's pound cake!

Oh yeah, there were produce vendors too :laugh: None of them blew me away, but they had some nice lettuces for $1.00 each. No basil though. :sad:

All in all, it was a nice trip, although traffic was a bit heavy and parking was tight (and metered). I did get there around 11:30 am though. Next time I'll make sure I'm there earlier. I don't know if it's worth the 25 mile trip from Fair Lawn on a weekly basis, but it's definitely something I can do every once in a while and I will go back. Thanks, Menton!

Glad you like it, zhelder. Yes, it seems to be among the best markets in this area. The produce guy from Orange County only sells stuff that he grows, so that is a good thing. Lots of these produce vendors resell supermarket-type stuff, really shouldn't be allowed.

It's also early, not too much local produce available yet. I think the organic produce vendor has basil from time to time...

The Jam Man: Yup, my pal The Jam Man works Nyack in addition to Ridgewood. (I think he's based out of New City, so Nyack is a hop skip and a jump for him.) If you haven't tried his jams, you don't know what you're missing! I got some mango jam and some sour cherry & pineapple jam today. Should be delicious with Scotty's pound cake!

What does the jam sell for? I'm a sucker for locally made jams and preserves but they can cost so much more than supermarket stuff and half the time I end up making PB&J's for the kids with jam that cost me $7 for a small jar. Does the guy have a website? Does he venture any farther south than Ridgewood?

What does the jam sell for? I'm a sucker for locally made jams and preserves but they can cost so much more than supermarket stuff and half the time I end up making PB&J's for the kids with jam that cost me $7 for a small jar. Does the guy have a website? Does he venture any farther south than Ridgewood?

You can place orders with him and he will ship if you order a certain qty I believe. He gave me a card last year but I misplaced it - If I go this weekend I will ask for his card again and post the information here.

The Jam Man charges $6 per jar or $10 for two jars in Ridgewood. In Nyack, he was charging $5 for one jar or $9 for two jars, the same price he charged in Ridgewood last year. He raised his prices a bit in Ridgewood this year, probably to cover gas and other rising costs. Each jar is usually 8 ounces, and he offers samples of all his flavors at the markets. His stuff is not cheap, but it is wonderful and worth the money. Here's a phone number form him:

Steven Geisel of B and B Jams

845-709-6014

He doesn't have a website (ironic, because when I first met him, he told me his full-time career was in computers!), but I believe that he does ship jams and does gift baskets too.

As far as going further south than Ridgewood, I saw his name mentioned on a site for the Fort Lee Farmer's Market. I'll ask him Sunday what other markets he does when I go to the Ridgewood market.

I went to the Englewood Farmers Market on Friday. There are about 5 vendors. Two with produce, I got some very nice blueberries, cherries, zukes, tomatoes and romanesque broccoflower (?). There's a pickle guy (not Picklicious), the same bread baker as years past, fresh mozzarella (and frozen fish and meat entrees) vender.

Fro those interested, I asked the Jam Man today what other shows he does. Sadly, the only two shows he does in NJ are Ridgewood and Fort Lee. :sad: He does shows in Nyack, Bronxville, Tuxedo, and Peekskill as well. I guess between Ridgewood and Fort Lee (and perhaps Nyack too), pretty much anyone in Bergen County can go to one of the markets without having to make a crazy trip.

Incidentally, I saw Picklicious set up a tent outside the doors to the DePiero Farm in Montvale yesterday (Saturday) if anyone is interested but can't make the farmer's markets. I don't recall seeing this guy (maybe they have multiple setups?) unless I'm mixing him up with the other Pickle guy.