• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fixed price in vancouver

vandan

Best lunch deal in town: Mistral's prix fixe. We have been taking advantage of it for a couple of months now. Food and service are excellent. Decent wine selection by the glass. Minna is an excellent congenial host. Nice patio. The price is a steal given the generous portions, variety of choices available and quality of food. It's puzzling to us that Feenie's a few doors down is always busy, while Mistral sits only half-full at most at lunch times. I like Feenie's too, but Mistral is by far our preferred place to dine.

We took some pictures last week. All the items on the different menus are interchangeable. So you can order a starter from one menu, the main from another and the dessert from yet another. I think we've tried just about every item on the menus at different lunches or dinners. Our favourites are the two salads, the onion tart, the bourride, the cassoulet, and the chocolate mousse.

gallery_24485_3188_72661.jpg

gallery_24485_3188_12797.jpg

Goat Cheese Salad

gallery_24485_3188_43189.jpg

Onion Soup

gallery_24485_3188_12593.jpg

Chicken Breast stuffed with Prosciutto with frites (in place of the Beef Tripes that day). The Beef tripes are good too, I've had it at dinner time.

gallery_24485_3188_53028.jpg

Saffron Bourride (large chunk of halibut in there)

gallery_24485_3188_50237.jpg

I don't usually eat dessert but their chocolate mousse is really good.

gallery_24485_3188_63567.jpg

Lemon tart

gallery_24485_3188_38623.jpg

I hope this post is not too big. It's my first attempt at posting pictures.

thanks guys, i had actually been checking out all toptable resto group, and did also like the look of the mistral classic ala cassoulet fixed price, but is there another hidden gem i don't know about?

thanks guys, i had actually been checking out  all toptable resto group, and did also like the look of  the mistral classic ala cassoulet fixed price, but is there another hidden gem i don't know about?

Mistral is not a Top Table restaurant AFAIK...:huh:

Although perhaps that's not what you meant.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Oh oh! We are also Mistral fans - but were hoping to keep this quiet!

Hehe, believe me, I've thought about that too..... but then I thought about what happened to Adesso (albeit, hopefully, only temporarily)...... :raz:

I loved my meal at Aurora a couple of weeks ago. Just my luck, I was there on a "comfort food" week, yum! 3 courses, 3 wines, $48, plus $10 if you want dessert. Tuesdays to Thursdays, I believe.

Cru also has a good value dinner as well. 3 courses $38.

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

Had a fabulous dinner at Senova last Thursday. 3 courses for $35, 4 for $45 and 5 for $50. The serving sizes were pretty good so I was pretty full with the 3 course version. Thursday evenings is roast suckling pig night and that evening they had a 40 lb roast pig they were carving up to order. The meat was fork tender and they top is with a generouse piece of crackling. mmm.. crackling....

Alex

During the run of Varekai (Cirque du Soleil) until July 23, 2006, Provence Marinaside is offering a pre-show 3 course Menu Rapide for $33 per person: mixed green salad or one of Marinaside’s appetisers; a main: Bouillabaisse, prawns provencal, beef tenderloin, grilled wild salmon or roast halibut; and for dessert: lemon tarte, chocolate cheesecake or sorbet.

Mistral and Aurora get my nod for best prix price. You can always look at the Spotted Prawn and Aqua Riva as well.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I had to thank someone for a huge favour that he had done for me, so I booked a table at Saveur (Thurlow and Robson). For $38, you get three courses of simply fabulous Southern French cuisine. I'm writing a review for this Friday's Metro, so I won't say too much more, but if you want a meal that will knock your socks off without blowing a hole through your wallet, this is it.

went by ciao bella on denman today and noticed they had a 4 course dinner for $29 anyone tried it?

I've always wondered about this place....it's been there forever. Since it's in our hood, we'll go check it out in the next week or so and report back!

Thanks for the heads up.

Quentina