• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Chicago Pizza and Dogs

Click here for video highlights (Off The Broiler)

Right now I just have the raw photos, I'll post them here with captions and proper sequential order later.

Jason and Ronnie's Chicago Pizza-Dog Outing (ImageGullet)

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The narration:

gallery_2_3185_30105.jpg

gallery_2_3185_17025.jpg

gallery_2_3185_46617.jpg

I drove in during the evening from the Western suburbs, in two hours of traffic, in order to meet Ronnie in Lincolnwood. Chicago is a megalopolis -- unlike many other cities where you see the reverse type of traffic patterns, many people live within the city limits and commute to the 'burbs where all the office parks are. No amount of traffic will deter me from eating the best pizza in the city.

gallery_2_3185_13265.jpg

gallery_2_3185_29934.jpg

I arrive at my destination, the original Malnati's location in the North Chicago neighborhood of Lincolnwood.

gallery_2_3185_6237.jpg

gallery_2_3185_25078.jpg

Malnati's pretty much has the ultimate sports bar scene, with memorabilia and relics from Chicago's athletic heroes plastered all over the place.

gallery_2_3185_15074.jpg

Frozen Malnati's pies are made on location to the same specs as the regular pies. Each location is responsible for making their own frozen pies.

gallery_2_3185_18390.jpg

As I understand, Lou's makes pretty decent Italian ices as well.

gallery_2_3185_39413.jpg

Jumbo-sized soft drink glasses. As they should be. Note Refrigerator Perry's football jersey in the background.

gallery_2_3185_65231.jpg

The "Lou's" is a veggie combination that includes spinach and fresh sliced Roma tomatoes.

gallery_2_3185_12926.jpg

Unlike thin crust pizza Chicago pies pretty much need to be eaten with a fork and knife, or at least start out that way.

gallery_2_3185_14682.jpg

After two slices apeice at Malnati's (the two pizza pies went into the office to feed my co-workers the next day) we headed to Superdawg.

gallery_2_3185_29916.jpg

gallery_2_3185_43680.jpg

gallery_2_3185_34893.jpg

gallery_2_3185_47488.jpg

gallery_2_3185_46816.jpg

gallery_2_3185_21894.jpg

gallery_2_3185_26411.jpg

gallery_2_3185_24271.jpg

Superdawg is a traditional drive-in that dates back to the 1930's. The current store is 1960's architecture and design, complete with car hops and dancing hot dogs.

gallery_2_3185_31278.jpg

It's fascinating to watch these guys work and pack each little red box with such speed and precision.

gallery_2_3185_46228.jpg

The Superdawg Sarcophagus.

gallery_2_3185_8297.jpg

Everything is nicely packed and just where it should be.

gallery_2_3185_22882.jpg

Removing the pickle reveals Superdawg, resting peacefully.

gallery_2_3185_22067.jpg

Superdawg in all his glory.

gallery_2_3185_162.jpg

Don't forget the nice thick chocolate shakes.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

gallery_2_3185_8784.jpg

gallery_2_3185_14245.jpg

gallery_2_3185_32209.jpg

The last stop on our quest was U Lucky Dawg, which was formerly known as Fluky's, another well known Chicago Dog place. Ronnie wanted me to experience a classic Vienna Beef dog, as Superdawg is a bit of an anomaly because it uses a different type of hot dog (I've been told they are Sinai 48 kosher dogs) and different condiments.

gallery_2_3185_13163.jpg

gallery_2_3185_1110.jpg

Classic Chicago hot dog mise-en-place. Mustard, neon green relish, onions, kosher pickle spear, celery salt, tomato, and sport peppers.

gallery_2_3185_35260.jpg

A classic Vienna Beef wiener is boiled and the buns (poppyseed) are kept in a steam tray to keep warm.

gallery_2_3185_14401.jpg

gallery_2_3185_38866.jpg

gallery_2_3185_17499.jpg

A prime example of Chicago hot dog presentation.

gallery_2_3185_634.jpg

gallery_2_3185_19577.jpg

gallery_2_3185_37109.jpg

If you're not here to watch a Cubs or White Sox game, you can always listen to some classic tunes while having your dog.

gallery_2_3185_314.jpg

Pretty much all Chicago dogs are served on Mary Ann bakery poppyseed buns.

gallery_2_3185_3562.jpg

Multi-billion dollar corporations could learn a thing or two from the work ethic at U Lucky Dawg.

gallery_2_3185_7668.jpg

Ronnie enjoys his Lucky Dawg.

AWWWWW! You're killing me with those pictures!!!!! Every six months we get to eat like that

when visiting home. I could smell the pizza and those fries were gorgeous. I would gladly

trade the Peppercorn crusted Grilled Kona Kampachi with truffled Big Island hearts of Palm &

Arugula salad with port wine vinatigrette that I am eating while reading for that hands down! :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Great Pictures! But I have to disagree a bit, I think for deep dish you have to either go with Uno or Due (as Uno and its accompying restaurant Due, invented deep dish) or Gino's (because of that corn crust); It's a spot of contention, but at least Lou Malnati's is a respectable choice. Also, good choices for the hot dogs, but I got to say the best are all beef, which you guys had, and charred. Again great pics of Chicago and the restaurants. Makes me want to go to fluky's or get deep dish......

Great Pictures!  But I have to disagree a bit, I think for deep dish you have to either go with Uno or Due (as Uno and its accompying restaurant Due, invented deep dish) or Gino's (because of that corn crust);  It's a spot of contention, but at least Lou Malnati's is a respectable choice.  Also, good choices for the hot dogs, but I got to say the best are all beef, which you guys had, and charred.  Again great pics of Chicago and the restaurants.  Makes me want to go to fluky's or get deep dish......

Salty,

I agree with you. Due's was always my number one choice and then Gino's, which I feel has slipped a bit over the years.

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Being in the Malnati's camp and seeing those photos, I'm thisclose to calling for a delivery now. This is the light eating day between BBQs so thanks, guys. No really, thanks.

Good job on the dogs, though I usually pass on the Chicago Salad Bar variety. Maybe because I'm not from here originally (and I'm forever spoiled by Lafayette Coney Islands!).

Great Pictures!  But I have to disagree a bit, I think for deep dish you have to either go with Uno or Due (as Uno and its accompying restaurant Due, invented deep dish) or Gino's (because of that corn crust);  It's a spot of contention, but at least Lou Malnati's is a respectable choice.  Also, good choices for the hot dogs, but I got to say the best are all beef, which you guys had, and charred.  Again great pics of Chicago and the restaurants.  Makes me want to go to fluky's or get deep dish......

Salty,

I agree with you. Due's was always my number one choice and then Gino's, which I feel has slipped a bit over the years.

Molto E

Uno used to be my favorite but a friend warned me that it had declined. I checked it out and sadly, I have to agree with him. Malnati's has been my fave for the past couple of years. I was never much of a Gino's fan.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Ah , Sweet Home Chicago.

My sushi, yakitori, korean BBQ LA transplant daughter was in town for the weekend. First order of business --an Italian beef sandwich. Second order of business, a Chicago Dawg from the superb Zippie's.

Made the Super Dawg way.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The last time I went to the original Gino's East was probably 15 years ago, and I remember it being very, very good. But Ronnie told me that it had seen better days (as well as Uno and Due) and given our mission to hit pizza and dogs in one night, the original Malnati's in Lincolnwood seemed to be a strategic place to start.

Vienna dogs and Rosen's seeded buns, the ONLY way to go!

In the early 1970's. hot dog vendors had carts placed all around the loop. A dog with all was 50 cents and for a $, you had yourself a good lunch. Then the retaurant owners got the City Council to pass a requirement that to serve food, you had to have running water. Shut down all the carts.

Uno's was very good back then, ONE slice was ALL that one could eat.

Great Post! -Dick

The last time I went to the original Gino's East was probably 15 years ago, and I remember it being very, very good. But Ronnie told me that it had seen better days (as well as Uno and Due) and given our mission to hit pizza and dogs in one night, the original Malnati's in Lincolnwood seemed to be a strategic place to start.

The "Original" Gino's East shut downa number of years ago and moved into the former location of Planet Hollywood. Apparently, theyneglected to conduct a cleansing seance, because the new location is a pale shadow of its former glory.

They have just opened a new location on Superior, across from the Archdiocese of Chicago. I haven't had a chance to visit yet, but I will soon and give a full report.

"Original Gino's East"? Time for a history lesson.

Back in the '70s, there was a pizza place called Gino's on Rush St. It had wood tables and benches for seating, and through the years the place became ratty-looking from all the graffiti carved into the tables and benches.

The pizza was incredible and the place was extremely successful, so around 1980 they opened a second place just east of Michigan Ave. And they called it: Gino's East. The owners actually liked the graffiti and asked its customers to help carve up the seating in the new place. It became a tradition that still exists today.

This was about the time when Rush St. lost its luster and Michigan Ave became a tourist destination, and the original place eventually closed.

The person responsible for the crust never left the original location, and I believe she retired when the Rush St. location closed.

A place called "Original Gino's" has since re-opened in the original location on Rush St.

Back in the '70s, there was a pizza place called Gino's on Rush St. It had wood tables and benches for seating, and through the years the place became ratty-looking from all the graffiti carved into the tables and benches.

The pizza was incredible and the place was extremely successful, so around 1980 they opened a second place just east of Michigan Ave. And they called it: Gino's East. The owners actually liked the graffiti and asked its customers to help carve up the seating in the new place. It became a tradition that still exists today.

This was about the time when Rush St. lost its luster and Michigan Ave became a tourist destination, and the original place eventually closed.

The person responsible for the crust never left the original location, and I believe she retired when the Rush St. location closed.

A place called "Original Gino's" has since re-opened in the original location on Rush St.

I had my third pie at Gino's on Rush. No need for the history lesson. It doesn't change the fact that the original Gino's East, which was the joint under discussion, Gino's on Rush having closed back when I was young and pretty, has reopened just east of Michigan Avenue.

History and geography having now been dealt with, I shall reitereate that I am planning on trying the reconstituted Gino's East and shall report back. Probably today.

I have to agree that Malnati's is now my favorite.  Of course, we have one in Naperville so that makes it convenient for me also.

Wow, do I ever want a hot dog right now!  Looks like I know where I'm eating Saturday afternoon.  Super Dawg for me.

Actually there is a Gino's in the burbs oddly enough. None of the graffiti ambience though. :unsure:

I had my third pie at Gino's on Rush. No need for the history lesson. It doesn't change the fact that the original Gino's East, which was the joint under discussion, Gino's on Rush having closed back when I was young and pretty, has reopened just east of Michigan Avenue.

History and geography having now been dealt with, I shall reitereate that I am planning on trying the reconstituted Gino's East and shall report back. Probably today.

Well, as promised, I hit the newly reincarnated Gino's East on Superior. The pie was good, but it wasn't a Malnati's or Uno's pizza. They still spread the sausage pretty evenly; I only had a couple of bites that didn't have sausage. The cornmeal crust is interesting, but I think it makes for a too-dry crust. The sauce was a major disappointment. The best thing about Chicago pizza is the light, tangy, chunky sauce. This pie had some chunks of tomato, but they were too cooked and had lost their integrity in a sauce that was overall too thick and not tangy enough. It would almost have been better as a marinara. The cheese was nice and stringy, but it was a bit light.

All in all, I'd go back since the price was right ($8.50 with tip for a personal pizza, minnestrone, and diet). But I don't see myself becoming a regular. And it certainly wasn't a pizza I'd go out fo my way for with a Malnati's a few blocks away at Grand and Wells.

Great report and pictures, Jason. Glad you enjoyed some of our local treasures. Just a few points of information....

The "Lou's" is a veggie combination that includes spinach and fresh sliced Roma tomatoes.
Probably one of the better options there. The sausage pizza features a thick patty spread across the whole pizza, grossly overwhelming other components.
Superdawg is a traditional drive-in that dates back to the 1930's.
Superdawg opened in 1948 and is still operated by its original owners, Maurie and Flaurie Berman (the dogs on the roof are named for them), although their son and son-in-law run day-to-day operations now. You can find the history on their web site.
Ronnie wanted me to experience a classic Vienna Beef dog, as Superdawg is a bit of an anomaly because it uses a different type of hot dog (I've been told they are Sinai 48 kosher dogs) and different condiments.
The Superdawg differs from the quintessential Chicago-style dog with a wiener more garlicky than the typical Vienna Beef or Red Hot Chicago frank, a pickled green tomato in lieu of fresh red ones, and no celery salt.
Don't forget the nice thick chocolate shakes.
Next time, try strawberry. Real fruit.
If you're not here to watch a Cubs or White Sox game, you can always listen to some classic tunes while having your dog.
Only if you bring your iPod. The jukeboxes at U Lucky Dawg don't work. Owner Larry Estes says he's unable to find parts.
Pretty much all Chicago dogs are served on Mary Ann bakery poppyseed buns.

Would that it were true! Alas, plain buns are steadily gaining.

A very fine itinerary, though you ought to have continued on down Western for one more stop on the Chicago-food trail, Max's Italian Beef, which has the same owners as U Lucky Dawg, good house-made beef, an unusual and delicious giardiniera...

giardiniera.jpg

...and the remarkable "ghetto fries."

fries2.jpg

Lou Malnati's

847/673-0803 www.loumalnatis.com

6649 N. Lincoln Ave., Lincolnwood

Superdawg Drive-In

773/763-0660 www.superdawg.com

6363 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago

U Lucky Dawg

773/274-3652 www.maxsitalianbeef.com/uluckydawg_menu.htm

6821 N. Western Ave., Chicago

Max's Italian Beef

773/989-8200 www.maxsitalianbeef.com

5754 N. Western Ave., Chicago

LAZ

Thanks, LAZ, for the additional info. I think that Superdawg also differs from most Vienna products sold in the area in that it's skinless and not a natural casing dog -- although Vienna does make skinless dogs. The pickled tomato is a nice touch.

As for the sausage island on the Lou's deep-dish pies, my brother has taken to ordering "sausage balls" when he gets one. He can't handle the standard amount. It's just too much sausage for him.

Max's was definitely on our radar that night but after the first 3 stops, we just couldn't make it happen. :sad:

=R=

• 2 weeks later...
I think that Superdawg also differs from most Vienna products sold in the area in that it's skinless and not a natural casing dog -- although Vienna does make skinless dogs.

In my recent forays into hot dog stands, I've discovered that skinless is gaining -- especially the farther you get from city limits. But also that Vienna's formulation makes for a fairly snappy dog even in its skinless variety, so unless you stop to analyze instead of just wolfing your dog down, you might not notice.

Superdawg has its own proprietary recipe. I'm not sure who makes it for them.

rockandroller, I believe U Dawg U is out of business. They expanded to the tollway oases, but then something went wrong and I don't think they have any locations left.

LAZ

Wow, I lived in Chicago for four years and use to drive to the original Malnati's location for pizza. Your pictures brought back some fond eating memories, best deep dish pizza around.

Do not even get me started on the hot dogs. I use to eat at a famous hot dog stand on Clark St I believe, Chardog or something like that. It has been awhile.

The last stop on our quest was U Lucky Dawg, which was formerly known as Fluky's, another well known Chicago Dog place.

I read a blurb in one of the recent Chicago Time Out magazine that said that U Lucky Dawg is the same place the same owners etc etc. They dropped the Fluky's name because they were not happy with some of the other franchisees and wanted to distance themselves. Some of the other stores were using dogs made in WISCONSIN! I mean really....

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Laz,

Superdawg does not have it's own proprietary recipe. They use a Sinai 48 dog that is available from Best Kosher of Chicago.

John, I know you are a maven in this area but this is not accurate. If you check out the FAQ on their web site, you can get the full story. This issue is also addressed on the often-aired Hot Dog Show on PBS. It's a proprietary recipe made exclusively for Superdawg and while it is all-beef, it is not Kosher.

=R=