• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Don Alfonso (Peruvian)

Jason Perlow

Don Alfonso’s Restaurant

402 State St, Hackensack, NJ

(201) 342-0005

Rachel and I came upon this Peruvian restaurant in Hackensack, and walked in thinking it was Italian because of the name. The menu looked good so we stayed anyway -- I'm glad we did. Staff is very friendly and helpful and the food is excellent.

gallery_2_4_12829.jpg

The purple drink is called Chicha Morada, its very sweet and made with blue corn and flavored with pineapple, grape and apple juice. The yellow one to the left is Inca Kola which tastes like a champagne cola and bubble gum.

gallery_2_4_2611.jpg

These are mussels prepared as a ceviche. The nutty things are toasted corn kernels. I strongly reccomend ordering this dish.

gallery_2_4_6915.jpg

Mixed Seafood Ceviche. Also excellent.

gallery_2_4_26983.jpg

Peruvian-style garlic shrimp, in a buttery sauce that goes great with the rice to sop up with.

gallery_2_4_37507.jpg

This is a Chaufa, a Peruvian-Chinese fried rice with pulled roasted chicken. Excellent.

gallery_2_4_47565.jpg

Peruvian Seafood Bouillabase, similar to a Cioppino.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason - great pics! Looks amazing.

I wish I lived closer - I'd head there ASAP.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 2 weeks later...

We ate here last night and I was a bit disappointed. As mentioned earlier, I frequented a Peruvian Restaurant quite frequently in Union City. This restaurant was poor in comparison. I had the mussels which were okay, but not as fresh tasting or as tasty as I have had in the past. My partner had the rotiserrie chicken which was mediocre at best. The menu was not as typical as I expected...no Halea...fried array of fish with corn, onions, and the like. At least I did not see it listed. I will not return.

I guess it's good to hear an opinion from someone more familar with the food than we were. We liked the ceviche and the fried rice especially there. Are there any other places you would recommend? You mentioned a place Union City, is it still open? location?

Hello Rachel,

Unfortunately it closed  :sad:

I heard of a place from my Peruvian clients in WNY, but I never tried it and would have to do come searching for the name.

You can find terrific Peruvian food at Pollos El Chevere at 228 Washington Place in Passaic. The ceviche is beautifully plated and the rotisserie chicken (pollo a la brasa) is moist and aromatic. The owners are Japanese-Peruvian. A smaller place, Jaimito's, is at 389 Lexington Avenue on the Clifton-Passaic border, and the owner is Chinese-Peruvian. The green spaghetti, in a pesto-like sauce, can be ordered with fried fish on top, and they also have stir-fried dishes.

Edited by vsasson (log)

You can find terrific Peruvian food at Pollos El Chevere at 228 Washington Place in Passaic. The ceviche is beautifully plated and the rotisserie chicken (pollo a la brasa) is moist and aromatic. The owners are Japanese-Peruvian. A smaller place, Jaimito's, is at 389 Lexington Avenue on the Clifton-Passaic border, and the owner is Chinese-Peruvian. The green spaghetti, in a pesto-like sauce, can be ordered with fried fish on top, and they also have stir-fried dishes.

I second that opinion. El Chevere has some of the best Peruvian food around. I find the original location (on Monroe street) to be a little better, but they are both good. I would also recommend their deep fried pork chops covered in thinly sliced garlic and cilantro/pork gravy.

I second that opinion. El Chevere has some of the best Peruvian food around. I find the original location (on Monroe street) to be a little better, but they are both good. I would also recommend their deep fried pork chops covered in thinly sliced garlic and cilantro/pork gravy.