• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It cures what ails you.

Stone

Pho. The best cure for a hangover. Ever.

It replenishes the moisture lost from the brain. It puts back the needed salt. A good dash of chili sauce gives your eyes a better reason to tear. And with a belly full of hot broth, your ready for what you need most -- a nap.

Sorry, Grandma, it even beats chicken soup.

(These statements were not evaluated by the FDA.)

What are your medicinal meals?

the best

im-dying-of-some-kind-of-cold-and-sniffling-and coughing-and-feeling-oh-so-sick

rememdy:

boil 2 pounds of organic kale in 2 qts h2o until the water turns a nutrient-rich dark green.

(take out the greens and save them for some texture in your chicken soup.)

drink that broth ALL DAY (add a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice - yum!)

and you'll feel so much better - a true green tonic CURE!

Please excuse my ignorance but what is Pho?????? :huh:

Pho is a Vietnamese beef soup. Here's a good overview:

http://gkanai.weblogs.com/stories/storyReader$44

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

By the way, I once did some actual scientific research on this subject and wrote an article about it:

http://www.salon.com/health/feature/1999/1...12/29/hangover/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was sick as a dog last week, coughing, wheezing, my head swelled up like a melon. This may or may not have had something to do with the previous week's class in which I handled fifty petri dishes full of staph bacteria, but in any case, once I felt like leaving the house, I went to my local pho place and had a big bowl with rare rib eye and brisket. So you all stole my idea.

The previous time I was sick I had a craving for peperonata.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Loomi for those sultry days in NYC or even Delhi.

What's a loomi?

You do not know Loomi? :angry:

Nevermind!

Just kidding.. Let me look.. I will find you a link where you can learn more about it.

In the summer months, this is a drink often enjoyed by Iraqis mostly and many of the Middle Eastern diaspora.

It is made with dried "Kandahari Limes" for the most part, or at least in the days of the past. They get black after drying. These limes are soaked overnight or in boiling water. Sugar or honey or a little of both are then added to the water for taste.

The drink is chilled and had to cool one from the heat of the dessert. It is amazing.

Loomi for those sultry days in NYC or even Delhi.

What's a loomi?

I am working on a PC and am unable to figure out how to paste the URL in the url link.

Sorry.

You can find the Loomi piece in the Middle East and Africa Forum.

Perhaps someone will be kind enough to even add a link to it from here. :smile:

• 6 months later...
Actually, when you are hungover, combining Gatorade with Tylenol is a very BAD idea.

That is unless the Tylenol has a number attatched to it.

I second the vote for Pho. Where I live, in DC, the Pho place (Pho 75) also has a chicken version. Yummy.

Tylenol or acetaminophen mixed with alcohol is quite toxic to your liver. Don't do it.

Edit: This year I did a bit of research on hangover prevention and cures. If anyone wants the articles I found most interesting, PM me, or tell me how to link it here.

Edited by elyse (log)