• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican in Colorado Springs

Does anybody have any recommendations? We'll be in Colo Spgs for a few days this month visting from California. We know something about Mexican food from here and also from several trips to New Mexico. We surely don't need fancy, just real food. Any suggestions?

Charley Martel

Assuming you don't want chains, a couple of suggestions:

Pueblo Viejo, on Academy. I'm in love with their chile colorado burrito, but we haven't had anything there we didn't like. The cooking isn't fancy, just good - but I will be up front and say I'm not the best judge of authenticity, I just know it's not like the chains and it's darned good. This is currently my favorite Mexican place.

Salsa Brava is a local chain of two last I looked. They are located at Vindicator and Rockrimmon, and the newest one is on Briargate Parkway, where everything is expanding north. They're more Americanized, but the food is certainly fresh, and their salsas are outstanding.

There is also a place at the I-25 and Garden of the Gods intersection, about a block east, that used to be a Taco John's but is now independent. It's changed names several times since then, but I understand the staff and the menu just keeps going on. My husband used to eat a lot of lunches there when he worked nearby, and liked it a lot. I can't remember if I've eaten there - if I did it was awhile ago.

I know these are all in the north end of town, but that's where I live. I know there are several highly recommended places downtown and at the south end of town, but I have not yet gotten to any of them.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

IMHO if you have had Mexican food in the Bay Area and New Mexico, you should just skip the Mexican food here. The only reason I have eaten at Salsa Brava is it's very close proximity to my house. It's very, very Americanized, though not bad food. It works for the little ones.

That said, I do like La Casita- They have 3 or 4 locations in town. We are fond of the chicken enchiladas and those freshly made flour tortillas.

Report back and let us know what you found, Mexican or otherwise, if you have a chance.

-Kelly

Thanks Kelly & Marcia. I'll report back, but you're making me a little nervous. I asked about Mexican (southwestern counts) because I'm guessing there is a significant hispanic population in the Colo Spgs area. I lived there for a year about 25 years ago & I remember there was at that time.

A year or so ago there was a thread under the California section reviewing & comparing the taco trucks that are fairly common here in northern California. What I'm looking for is a more than a taco truck, but the sort of place that the local hispanic population goes to.

Some folks at Chowhound were touting a place called El Tesoro. Any thoughts on that place?

Aside from the category of Mexican/southwestern, is there any place we should visit or avoid?

Thanks again.

Charley Martel

I like El Tesoro, but my husband, having lived in Albuquerque for a few years, doesn't care for it. It's too "foofey and Santa Fe-ized" for him. I think it has a nice ambience and tasty, healthy food, but not terribly spicy and I've never seen any hispanic people in there.

There are several little mom and pop Mexican restaurants in town but some of them go out of business before I can try them, and a few I've tried were just really greasy. All the green chile sauce I've found here is muddled and watered down BTW.

If you want taqueria fast food type Mexican food, I'm a big fan of Taco Express (multiple locations). Here is an Article on them. The drive-thru is *very* handy when the kids are sleeping in the backseat and the weather is terrible, or I'm just too tired to cook. And they are open 24 hours. :biggrin: I've not had a bad thing on the menu. There are people from all walks of life eating there at lunchtime on the outdoor picnic tables or in the drive thru line. If you want a step up from the Bay Area taco trucks this is my pick. I actually eat there way too much (it's a large menu).

-Kelly

Edited by kellycolorado (log)