• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in the Middle Keys

Saint4172

Well hello there..i eat drink and enjoy life in the middle keys, around Marathon, i am going to post some of my observation on some of the eating places here. I have eaten a some very chi chi place and had to fill my belly at Burger King. Louies's Backyard inculded. Norm Van Aiken...mango marmalate over old fish. i am going to report on "eaten places" where u get good food, with imagination and good price. So chow down.

Hey Saint4172, welcome to the boards. It has been over 5 years since I left the keys. Things can change. I was up around Key Largo but no place was too far for good food. There was a restaurant almost under the bridge up near Holiday Isle that had really good grouper sandwiches. I miss fresh seafood and conch chowder and yellowtail and the rest of it. Thanks for pitching in, now maybe I really will consider going back down for a visit.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Restaurants I have enjoyed in the area are Castaways, for fresh seafood in a casual setting, Barracuda Grill for more upscale seafood, Annette's Lobster House for the fried seafood platter, and Keys Fishery for fish sandwiches and the like.

I can second that Barracuda Grill is nice and one of the most upscale restaurants in the middle Keys. For a great fresh piece of fish or fish sandwich try Fish Tales Market and Eatery. A small fish market with incredibly fresh fish. Boats pulling up behind it all day. The Yellow Tail or Mangrove snapper is amazing. This market is at the north end of Marathon near the Vaca Cut pass, just south of Key Colony Beach on the Atlantic side near Captain Hooks Dive shop.

• 1 month later...

Frank's Grill at the Town Square Shopping Center...mmm. Cheif Frank Farilo formerly of the Village Cafe has opened his own gig here. southern Italian with a fresh seafood twist. Small intimate and very homey..Frank comes out to say hello all the time. Locals know the joint tourist haven't found yet. Better make a call because the word is going to get out. Oops this is the word. More from the Middle Keys munchie mecca to follow