• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Second -- Bacon

Stone

Some friends invited us over for brunch a couple of weeks ago. The hostess served each person ONE slice of bacon (overcooked, by the way). ONE slice. Diana, Peter, Paul, Heidi and I all agreed that it was worse than not serving bacon.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I like it all kinds a ways. Flaccid through well done. And sometimes I really like when it's slightly burned on the peaks (both sides), and undercooked in between. Bacon. Yummy bacon.

At work the other day, I thought the head baker asked me if I wanted bacon upstairs, and I perked up and said "Ooh bacon!" and she said," No, I said Kevin Bacon is upstairs if you want to see him." Crestfallen, I said naaaah.

Jin, I was going to PM this to you. :smile:

I like to take very thinly sliced proscuitto, put it on a nonstick half sheet pan and put into a 250 degree oven until crisp. Perfect. If I am doing bacon slices, then I prefer Albertsons mesquite, cooked until the smushy crisp where there is enough caramelization to make it taste real good. Best served with a Waffle.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 3 weeks later...

thick bacon is pretentious and far too time-consuming for the baby birds. Take a paper towel, dust with peppered flour and dredge and shake out your favorite brand. Keeps 'em from crinkling up too much 'afore the fatty ends are done.

For bacon lovers, here is a bacon of the month club link:

http://www.gratefulpalate.com/

Heard Mario on the food network raving about it.

Yet another bacon treatise from Food and Wine magazine. Makes me want to take a tour through the deep south. Bacon isn't simply pork, it's a lifestyle, a reason to get out of bed in the morning, an excuse to not go to bed early.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

• 2 years later...

Crisp. I love bacon. If you were to ask anyone who knows me what my favorite food is, they would answer unwaveringly, "BACON". So the question I have is, why did it take me so long to discover Turkey Bacon is delicious? I had it this morning for breakfast and I think I will select it over pork from now on if it's available. I never ate it because even though I know people like it, I just thought, "no, it's a substitute." I was wrong.

Emma Peel

I attend a BBQ every year down in rural tidewater Va. and the host of it runs a working farm, is a jack of all trades and master of damn near all of them.  One of his specialties is cold smoked cured country hams....  These suckers start out at 20 to 30 lbs. each.  These are cold smoked then aged for 18 to 24 months.  Once done they are perfectly edible without cooking.  They are essentially domestic proscuitto, and the taste rivals that of any imported proscuitto I've had.

PS - Oh yeah, Dan makes his own bacon too.  If you follow the above link you'll find it.

This almost sounds too good to be true. Does Dan sell any of the hams and bacon or do you have to get invited to the BBQ to taste it. I scanned over his web site and couldn't find anything like a price list or list of available items, but maybe I just didn't look hard enough. TIA.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

There was a good article on country ham in the NY Times a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, you have to pay to see it now.

They said that most country hams, and presumably the bacon, are available on the web at Smithfield Hams, at Another source and at (800) 926-8448.

Naturally, the very best, from Darden's Country Store in Smithfield, Va., are available only by going there.

Ohhhh bacon. I love it, I don't care how you cook it. For myself, I like it on the brink of burnt, but as long as there's a little crispy/crunchy fat somewhere on my piece, I'm fine. I even enjoy eating that one spot on the piece that never seems to cook at the same rate and stays white and squishy. Mmmmm... must... get... bacon.

I like turkey bacon too... but I prefer to use it on sandwiches or as an ingredient. If I'm gonna eat bacon for the bacon, I'm gonna buy real bacon. LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I like my bacon cooked just past the limp stage--so it's crispy yet still chewy. YUM!

For those of you interested in Grateful Palate bacon, I did a small taste test on four different kinds (including Dan Phillips Secret Special Cure) at: http://www.iheartbacon.com/index.php?id=118

But my all time, favorite bacon that I'm obsessing about constantly now, is Wild Boar Bacon from Exotic Meats (it can be ordered in slab form online). Ughgh!

http://www.iheartbacon.com/index.php?id=157

Edited by megwoo (log)

Megan Woo

IHEARTBACON.COM