• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you've learned to love

Stone

Two replies to my "simply sublime" post got me thinking again.

First -- what food(s) do you love now, but hated growing up?

For me, it's olives and tomatoes.

I used to hate tomatoes unless they were buried in a sandwish dripping with mustard and mayo. Now, I could eat a good tomato like an apple, with just a little salt.

As for olives, I could never understand what all the fuss was about. People loved them, but I found the flavor of an olive so harsh and stinging that I steered clear. When I was vacationing in Croatia, however, there were bowls of olives on every dinner table, so I just kept popping them into my mouth. Now, I love them. (Although I still don't much like too many of them in my meals. Puttanesca, for example, is much too strong for me.)

I second tomatoes. Didn't like their taste as a kid, now I love 'em.

However, the biggest change for me has been beans. When I was a kid and my mom made chili, I would eat around them. But as a poor college student I found it cheaper to cook with beans rather than meat, and now there isn't a legume I won't eat.

How about the converse question: what foods did you like as a child that you won't eat as an adult? One of mine is watermelon. I dunno--can't get into the taste anymore. Actually, I think its whole appeal was the seed-spitting thing.

Tomatoes and sweet potatoes. I hated both as a kid, but I love fresh, farm grown tomatoes with just pepper and olive oil. I've learned to like sweet potatoes, like sweet potato pie or sweet potato fries, but I still hate that sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving.

1.) Mustard (elsewhere on eGullet is the story of how my poor misguided mum mis-aligned me with French's and Gulden's mustards as the standards as a kid.

2.) Sweet Potato

3.) Lemonade - I HATED it as a kid

4.) most green vegetables, esp. less usual ones like Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus, etc.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Mustard and olives. Of course, of course. Trying to think of something original, but I seem to have always liked everything I like now. Loved spicy food at first encounter. Ditto smelly French cheese. I guess olive oil, as an uncooked condiment, would have been unpleasant to me as a child, not that I was offered any.

Chicken fat - schmaltz - spread on bread. Nice, but since I hated beef lard on bread as a child, I suspect I would have loathed schmaltz too. Not that I was ever offered any. Oh, anchovies I guess.

Whisky. That took some work.

Split pea and ham soup. Couldn't stand it as a child.

Now I love to make it and I use my mother's recipe, so the soup isn't different.

I do believe that taste buds change as you age. That may be the reason for liking things you used to hate.

For me it wasn't a particular food, it's the way food was/is prepared. I would never eat any meat unless it was well done. Now I enjoy meat rare -medium rare. Same with fish.

I would always eat things dry - no sauces, no mustard, no ketchup - no anything. Now it's just the opposite.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I was a very picky eater as a child, so I think my Mom didn't even try to get me to eat some foods - such as brussel sprouts. I had them for the first time in my early 20's at a nice restaurant and loved them! I suppose it helped they were fresh and sauteed in plenty of butter :smile:

Artichokes and avocados were a couple more that I wouldn't eat, but I think are great now.

Actually there were a lot of things I didn't even know existed at a young age that I love now - fois gras, caviar, chutney, pesto, sushi, duck, venison, calimari, and a whole range of spices and herbs. We were a very basic, non-adventurous, meat-and-potatoes family. Is that child abuse? :huh:

1. Mayonnaise. I couldn't even stand the smell of it then. Now it's one of my favorite things -- to my fat-gram regret.

2. Grits. Shameful to admit it, as a Georgia native, born and raised in the South. I couldn't stand them as a kid. I was grown before I finally encountered stone-ground, creamy grits and it changed my life. The turning point for me was my first encounter with really well-made cheese grits.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer