• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbeque's Sides!

Luckylies

Cole Slaw with Bacon Fat Vinaigrette

Cornbread with Bacon & Jalapeno

Creamed Corn with Bacon

Green Beans with Bacon

Potato Salad with Bacon

Baked Beans with Bacon

Mac and Cheese with Bacon

Collard Greens with Ham Hocks & Bacon

Warm Biscuits with Candied Bacon, Butter & Honey (gotta have dessert  :wink:)

These are my sides for tomorrow:

Mussels in white wine ( and nice artisan bread to sop up the sauce )

Spinach salad with strawberries and mangoes

Beefsteak tomatoes with sea salt

Orzo salad with feta and peppers

Spicy couscous salad with basil and tomatoes

Creamy Cole Slaw

Roasted red potatoes

Cauliflower

Andouille and Potatoes

[...]

Hey chiliheadmike,

That sounds really good!

It does sound really good. And I printed it off and plan to have it at my next brunch. With scrambled eggs, fruits, etc. Thanks for the recipe, CH Mike.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Andouille and Potatoes

[...]

Hey chiliheadmike,

That sounds really good!

I have all the ingredients, so I believe it will go on the menu for tomorrow. I was going to do potato salad; but, this sounds more fun. Hmmm... With a little alteration, I bet you could do it in foil packets on the grill.

I'm always up for a good succotash with Barbeque.

Its a little "saucy" for the grill, you could make packets out of everything but flour and stock. hmmmm.....

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I can't say that either I or my family have any expertise about barbeques--my dad was another of those 1950s-era backyard cooks who slapped steaks on the grill and called that "barbequeing". But one thing we always had with our outdoor fired-meat meals, especially when guests were coming, that I don't think has been mentioned yet is a huge fruit salad. We'd do the whole routine with cutting a watermelon into a basket shape, having at it with the melon-baller scoops until it was pretty much completely hollowed out, then piling in the balls of watermelon along with similar spheres of cantaloup and/or honeydew, plus whatever other fruit looked good at the market (blueberries and pineapple chunks were especial favorites). My family's practice was to use no dressing other than the liquid expressed from the cut fruit. Nowadays, I think I'd just park a bottle of good balsamic by the melon-basket for people to sprinkle on as desired.

If I need to fancy my fruit salad up a bit (fruits of your choice, of course), I'll add a split and scraped vanilla bean and either Cointreau or Grand Mariner. I'll also add a little sugar/honey/agave syrup if it needs it. The stuff flies off the table.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

What? no stew?

I can not believe no one mentioned Brunswick Stew. We just can not have a barbecue in Georgia w/o Brunswick Stew (& I do not care what those Virginians say. Brunswick Stew was first made in Brunswick, Georgia!)

I smoke the meat and Fuss does the stew--equal parts smoked turkey, smoked pork, smoked chicken, and smoked beef (I always make extra and freeze left overs for stew the next time we do a barbecue) ground together then blended in a stock pot w/ equal parts tomatoes, limas, corn, onion (Vidalia preferred), and celery, some vinegar, hot sauce, black pepper, a couple of bay leaves, red pepper flakes and salt until it tastes right and simmered together until it looks right.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.