• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbeque's Sides!

Luckylies

I'm having (another) BBQ, and I'm tired of my basic repetoir.

What's yours so I can steal it.

Or borrow?

Use with permission?

I have these sides planned:

Cornbread (jalepeno and plain)

Guacomole

Onion dip...using my confit!

Baked beans. Looking for a recipe.

Creamed corn

Southern green beans.

Potato salad two ways. Mine and the other way.

Baked beans e

Creamed corn a

Coleslaw

Pork

Watermelon

Carmelized pinapple salad

Biscuits

Fruit tart

what's in your 'que?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I'm having (another) BBQ, and I'm tired of my basic repetoir.

What's yours so I can steal it.

Or borrow?

Use with permission?

I have these sides planned:

Cornbread (jalepeno and plain)

Guacomole

Onion dip...using my confit!

Baked beans. Looking for a recipe.

Creamed corn

Southern green beans.

Potato salad two ways. Mine and the other way.

Baked beans e

Creamed corn a

Coleslaw

Pork

Watermelon

Carmelized pinapple salad

Biscuits

Fruit tart

what's in your 'que?

Beans: We place high in competitions with this, hope no one we compete against is reading..

Dice and fry about 5 slices bacon till crisp

Add 1 diced onion, contionue to saute until onion is translucent. (don't drain bacon fat)

Add rib rub (paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, red white and black pepper, and your favorite herbs)

Toast unil you smell the rub

add a handful of brown sugar and stir till melted

add a couple glugs of molasas

add a half bottle of BBQ sauce

add wochestershire

heat on low

add 1 more onion sliced

add drained canned beans

put in the smoker under ribs or brisket for 3 hours

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Andouille and Potatoes

In medium hot Dutch oven

add olive oil

1 onion diced

2 stalks celery

1/2 bell pepper

(Yes its the Trinity)

Saute until onions are translucent

Add chopped garlic

Add rib rub (see above)

Add sausage

Cook until you smell garlic

add a little flour

Cook some more

Add 1/2 can diced tomatoes

Add chicken stock

Stir/ Check for salt

Add thyme, worchesteshire, hot sauce

Add potatoes that have been peeled, quarted lengthwise, and sliced about 1/2" thick.

Cook till spuds are done

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Good Grief!

Here in AUSTIN, TEXAS, we avoid sides in order to save belly room for more meat. Now, for lunch, some places offer "a plate": one or two meats with two sides. Those sides consist of pinto beans and potato salad. That's it. You get free onion slices, pickle slices, picked jalapenos, and bread slices. You can down that with beer (never at lunch), iced-tea, soadies (Coke, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Big Red, or Sprite); and finish with fruit cobler or banana puddin'.

Or my preference. Two sides. Pinto beans and cole slaw. That's it.

Free onion slices, pickle slices, etc....

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Call me crazy (or self-serving) but beans are mandatory. The simpler, the better, to soak up all the BBQ love on the plate.

Yep, beans are the one constant. If you have sweet barbecue, like southern-style pig, or ribs, then the sweet baked beans are called for (although I personally don't like mine as sweet some folks do, because to me, then it all tastes alike....mushy sweet meat, mushy sweet beans).

And if you have Texas, or southwestern-style barbeque, like brisket, or grilled steaks, then pinto beans, or charro beans, or ranch-style beans are better, I think.

After living in the southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, etc.) for a while, you get used to that. A big ol' steak, pinto beans, baked potato, and piece of garlic bread. Good eatin'.

But as Rancho and others have said...beans. Everything else is optional.

But beans. Some kind of beans. Always beans.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Potato salad. Baked beans with brown sugar, caramelized onions and peppers, barbecue sauce, baked under a lattice of bacon.

Battered fries, crispy and salty and hot.

And slaw. :wub: Grandma's vinegary marinated slaw with minced red bell pepper, lifted dripping with a slotted spoon. Mustardy mayonnaise slaw with celery seeds. Plain, if you have to, right out of the deli container. Blue slaw with dill pickles. Always slaw. But not as a side.

ONNNNNNNN. It's the LAW.

I've got tex style brisket and New York style pork shoulder (secret recipe), what the hell kind of beans work with both :wacko:

Both.

Sigh.

I hate to break it to you, but you'll just have to make up two big pots. One of each kind. The sweet baked kind. And the southwestern ranch kind.

Sigh.

:cool:

Actually, you'll have no trouble finding plenty of recipes for the sweet baked kind. And if you'd like a good recipe for the southwestern ranch kind of pintos, let me know.

a salad with fresh tomatoes cut in 1/4s, sliced red onion, feta, black olives, torn fresh oregano, chopped garlic (I like a lot) and a red wine vinagrette with a tsp. of sugar and S&P to taste.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

How about a corn salad?

Throw together about 2 cups of corn, 2 cups of chopped zucchini, a small sweet onion and a medium-sized red pepper (also chopped, of course), and about half a cup of chopped fresh cilantro. Toss all of this with a nice vinaigrette. Let it all sit for awhile, so the flavors can blend. Delish! One of my favorite summer sides.

Luckylies,

!)I dont know if you have the Inn at Little Washington Cookbook, the first one, but there is an awesome looking baked beans recipe in it.. I was going to make his version this weekend but, forgot my book at home.. I too am doing a bbq..

2)I think coleslaw is a must.. I love all kinds.. I am going to make a horseradishey one this time..

3)I made P-Dutch Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cheese,Bacon Cold Salad..

4)Pickles.. I purchased spicey homemade pickles, however, I normally make Scott Peacock's Pickles..

5)I think homemade fried p-chips sprinkled with whatever rub you are using is a good idea.. Or you can have like a southern Frito Misto.. With Chips, Okra, Green Tomatoes... Also have a ranch dipping sauce for them..

6)Mac and Cheese: Obviously.

7)Potato Salad- Another great opportunity to throw bacon in something..

8) Or you can screw the potato salad and the mac and cheese and make a potato au gratin..

9)Collar Greens,kale,and dandelion greens with

ham hocks and apple vinegar or the three in a gratin with bacon and blue cheese..

10)Cornbread.. Any variation.. Tupac made one with bacon the other day that looked great.. Jalepeno also.. My favorite is served with butter and honey..

Whatever, I am up early and this was just my morning stetches.. Damn, I am excited to start cooking.. The first fire starts in 20 mins..

Have a great weekend Ms. Lucky!

Edited by Daniel (log)

How did I just know that there would be a bunch of food geeks up before 6 on a holiday Saturday talking about what they're going to cook all weekend? :laugh: Gotta love eG.

Rancho *is* crazy and self-serving but he also happens to be right (in this case). I prefer spicy beans to the sweet, baked variety because all of the sweetness in hot weather just gets cloying on my palate. But there must be beans. Maybe a corn and black bean relish kinda thing (did I mention it's hot here?).

Slaw, too. I know it's not traditional but I like to put fresh dill in it - again, it's a refreshment factor that cuts through some of the dominant bbq-related sauces and spices.

And now that I have Chilehead and Zeemanb's nearly-award-winning potato recipe, I'll probably add that.

Try a savory granita-style ice (melon is nice right now) for dessert that's tasty, refreshing and actually good for you after that 10 pounds of meat.

Enjoy!

Edited: Oops, looks like Daniel and I are the lone early risers - just noticed everyone else was from last night.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Think you're up early? I'm going to western beef in about ten minutes, for my low priced brisket. Is New York ready for two bbq's of this caliber on one weekend? mines on monday, I'll fan the smoke your way... :smile:

Ham hocks..yes of course...added to the list.

I FOUND ANOTHER SMOKER on the street last night! who finds a smoker on the streeet in nyc? I need more stuff to put on it.... sides...

I'm going to smoke some of the confit for a bit...see how that turns out. maybe smoke some turkey legs for future bean use....

Mac and cheese? that seems more like a grill side, than a 'cue side, but really any excuse :wub:

Here's my secret coveted coleslaw dressin' recipe: really it's the best. sorry no measurements to taste.

Mayo (Helman's)

Cream

Brown sugar

Red wine vinegar

Lemon juice

mustard (dijon)

celery salt

onion powder

garlic powder

salt

pepper

This dressing should be the texture of yogurt. Make sure to salt your cabbage and drain it a few times and give it a squeeze. It really helps for a less tough slaw. I like red and green cabbage with shredded carrots. I know this recipe doesn't sound like much but it kills every time.

does this come in pork?

Here's my secret coveted coleslaw dressin' recipe: really it's the best. sorry no measurements to taste.

Mayo (Helman's)

Cream

Brown sugar

Red wine vinegar

Lemon juice

mustard (dijon)

celery salt

onion powder

garlic powder

salt

pepper

This dressing should be the texture of yogurt. Make sure to salt your cabbage and drain it a few times and give it a squeeze. It really helps for a less tough slaw. I like red and green cabbage with shredded carrots. I know this recipe doesn't sound like much but it kills every time.

It's killin' me RIGHT NOW, with an undertongue tingle reserved for that first whiff of mustard out of the jar, or that tantalizing thought of biting into the first fresh dill pickle of the Summer. You sure you don't have some Southern kinfolks in your Family Tree? A NY girl who can make slaw like that!!! GRITS for sure!

PS keep a lookout for Daniel---he'll be cruising your neighborhood in dark glasses and a low-slung hat, hoping for another smoker to appear.

"It's killin' me RIGHT NOW, with an undertongue tingle reserved for that first whiff of mustard out of the jar, or that tantalizing thought of biting into the first fresh dill pickle of the Summer. You sure you don't have some Southern kinfolks in your Family Tree? A NY girl who can make slaw like that!!! GRITS for sure!"

PS keep a lookout for Daniel---he'll be cruising your neighborhood in dark glasses and a low-slung hat, hoping for another smoker to appear.

Baby, I'm sure do have some southern kin, talk about the Richmond, VA Lewis'! We've been keeping out eyes peeled for that shady Daniel character...we know what he's up to

:cool:

does this come in pork?

BBQ beans, beer, chocolate 'ice box' pie.

Or sweet potato pie, traditional dessert in the "sweet BBQ" joints of the south.

I can't say that either I or my family have any expertise about barbeques--my dad was another of those 1950s-era backyard cooks who slapped steaks on the grill and called that "barbequeing". But one thing we always had with our outdoor fired-meat meals, especially when guests were coming, that I don't think has been mentioned yet is a huge fruit salad. We'd do the whole routine with cutting a watermelon into a basket shape, having at it with the melon-baller scoops until it was pretty much completely hollowed out, then piling in the balls of watermelon along with similar spheres of cantaloup and/or honeydew, plus whatever other fruit looked good at the market (blueberries and pineapple chunks were especial favorites). My family's practice was to use no dressing other than the liquid expressed from the cut fruit. Nowadays, I think I'd just park a bottle of good balsamic by the melon-basket for people to sprinkle on as desired.

Edited by mizducky (log)

Cole Slaw with Bacon Fat Vinaigrette

Cornbread with Bacon & Jalapeno

Creamed Corn with Bacon

Green Beans with Bacon

Potato Salad with Bacon

Baked Beans with Bacon

Mac and Cheese with Bacon

Collard Greens with Ham Hocks & Bacon

Warm Biscuits with Candied Bacon, Butter & Honey (gotta have dessert :wink:)

Andouille and Potatoes

[...]

Hey chiliheadmike,

That sounds really good!

I have all the ingredients, so I believe it will go on the menu for tomorrow. I was going to do potato salad; but, this sounds more fun. Hmmm... With a little alteration, I bet you could do it in foil packets on the grill.

I'm always up for a good succotash with Barbeque.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA