• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Chef going to Myrtle Beach

billt

i am going to myrtle beach with my extended family, and need some good places to eat. i know my family will want to trek to applebee's, but i want to be prepared. i don't need life-changing cuisine, am really interested in just good solid food. i am also wanting to explore some bbq places. i am willing to drive some days. please help

bill telepan

i am going to myrtle beach with my extended family, and need some good places to eat. i know my family will want to trek to applebee's, but i want to be prepared. i don't need life-changing cuisine, am really interested in just good solid food. i am also wanting to explore some bbq places. i am willing to drive some days. please help

bill telepan

If you're willing to drive down to Charleston I can help. Unfortunately, I know nothing of Myrtle Beach

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Louis's at Pawley's has a deservedly fine reputation ...

For nearly three decades, James Beard “American Express Best Chef Southeast”, Louis Osteen, has been defined by his passionate devotion to the foods of his Southern ancestry and the Lowcountry. Widely recognized for leading the charge in the preservation of Southern cooking traditions and an early proponent of using local ingredients, Esquire magazine called Osteen “the premier interpreter of New Southern Cuisine”.  Now you can meet Osteen and taste his award winning delicacies at the elegant Louis's at Pawleys, the more casual Fish Camp Bar, or at his new specialty food and fine wine market - Louis's To Go.

many more dining options with links

another set of links .. and some are barbecue ...

Sam Snead's Grill may be a good choice ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Bill,

Sorry but Myrtle Beach is a culinary wasteland. You will find decent fare at some of the big chains (look for their billboards every 1/4 mile) and plenty of cold beer and margaritas. If you want to drive to Murrell's Inlet just south of MB (20 to 60 minute drive depending on how many DUI induced accidents on the highway) there is a crusty old crabber that will sell you fresh soft shells right out of his holding tanks. PM me and I'll get you some directions cuz I don't want the entire James Beard crew showing up at his house with some sort of lifetime achievement award. Someone could get shot!

For a real slice of Carolina coastal life, drive down to McClellanville and eat at the Crab Pot. I think it's still open. Will check and get back to you.

There is better food in Pawley's island. Unfortunately the entire state will be in line for shrimp & grits at Louis's. There is also Franks in Pawley's. Franks is good but not memorable. There is also a respectable bistro (Bistro 122 or 242?) on the highway in Pawley's and I am sure that there is good barbecue nearby. There is Foster's BBQ in Lake City but that is inland by a good 45 minutes. I always stop in because it is the real thing. For a real treat you should drive south to Mt Pleasant and eat at Ben Berryhill's Red Drum Gastropub. It may take you 2 hours to get there (you might wait in line for 2 hours at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville or the house of Blues) but it is superb and exciting, much better than anything in Pawley's or Myrtle. Ben will know who you are and will take care of you. You can get his number off my website. I will try to find a decent BBQ place and PM you later.

Don't walk on those rocks without your shoes!

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Malik is right about heading down to Murrels Inlet for better eats. I think the McClellanville Diner is better than the Crab Pot, but you could probably stop off in Georgetown (about 20 minutes closer to Myrtle) and eat at some equally good spots, The Rice Paddy and a seafood diner on King St. are both quite nice...there's a decent BBQ place on the right side of US 17 in between Pawley's and Georgetown too...If you are driving down via I-95 then Schuyler's in Latta, SC is a really good BBQ buffet. While discussing BBQ, Sweatman's in Eutawville is a drive from Myrtle, but it is a doable drive. There's also some good BBQ in Manning, SC.

Louis's is excellent. A very enjoyable place to eat. The Fish Camp is a little more informal than the dining room and there's a great outdoor patio.

For the most part the seafood in Murrel's Inlet is uniform, Oliver's Lodge has a nice atmosphere and there's a reasonable Asian/Southern fusion place on 17 Alt. as well.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Malik is right about heading down to Murrels Inlet for better eats.  I think the McClellanville Diner is better than the Crab Pot, but you could probably stop off in Georgetown (about 20 minutes closer to Myrtle) and eat at some equally good spots, The Rice Paddy and a seafood diner on King St. are both quite nice...there's a decent BBQ place on the right side of US 17 in between Pawley's and Georgetown too...If you are driving down via I-95 then Schuyler's in Latta, SC is a really good BBQ buffet.  While discussing BBQ, Sweatman's in Eutawville is a drive from Myrtle, but it is a doable drive.  There's also some good BBQ in Manning, SC.

Louis's is excellent.  A very enjoyable place to eat.  The Fish Camp is a little more informal than the dining room and there's a great outdoor patio.

For the most part the seafood in Murrel's Inlet is uniform, Oliver's Lodge has a nice atmosphere and there's a reasonable Asian/Southern fusion place on 17 Alt. as well.

Yeah I totally forgot about Georgetown. Kudzu Bakery & Market (120 King Street) is very cool and old Georgetown is so very charming and Southern. Rice Paddy is quaint and you can get great raw seafood from the fish market at the North end of Georgetown harbor. Don't worry about finding it, Georgetown proper is only about a half mile wide!

A visit to Huntington State Park is a must. You will see more alligators than you can shake a stick at....but I wouldn't advise doing that.

Getting to Sweatmann's from MB would be maybe 4 hours one way. Foster's in Lake City is way closer.....(145 Sauls St, Lake City, SC 29560

Phone: (843) 374-4227)

McClellanville Diner is a good choice too. I do like the Fish Camp but the wait times can be astronomical.....

For my money though, you have got to get soft shells right out of the tanks in Murrell's.

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Malik is right about heading down to Murrels Inlet for better eats.  I think the McClellanville Diner is better than the Crab Pot, but you could probably stop off in Georgetown (about 20 minutes closer to Myrtle) and eat at some equally good spots, The Rice Paddy and a seafood diner on King St. are both quite nice...there's a decent BBQ place on the right side of US 17 in between Pawley's and Georgetown too...If you are driving down via I-95 then Schuyler's in Latta, SC is a really good BBQ buffet.  While discussing BBQ, Sweatman's in Eutawville is a drive from Myrtle, but it is a doable drive.  There's also some good BBQ in Manning, SC.

Louis's is excellent.  A very enjoyable place to eat.  The Fish Camp is a little more informal than the dining room and there's a great outdoor patio.

Yeah I totally forgot about Georgetown. Kudzu Bakery & Market (120 King Street) is very cool and old Georgetown is so very charming and Southern. Rice Paddy is quaint and you can get great raw seafood from the fish market at the North end of Georgetown harbor. Don't worry about finding it, Georgetown proper is only about a half mile wide!

A visit to Huntington State Park is a must. You will see more alligators than you can shake a stick at....but I wouldn't advise doing that.

Getting to Sweatmann's from MB would be maybe 4 hours one way. Foster's in Lake City is way closer.....(145 Sauls St, Lake City, SC 29560

Phone: (843) 374-4227)

McClellanville Diner is a good choice too. I do like the Fish Camp but the wait times can be astronomical.....

For my money though, you have got to get soft shells right out of the tanks in Murrell's.

thanks for making my life easier, i would love to find the the old crabber, can you give me directions

may also visit anson mills in columbia, not sure yet.

i am going to do a drive around first day there, to see where the closer places are

i will give a report when i get back

bill

• 3 weeks later...

just wanted to let you know, Mr. malik, you were right. i had a really hard time finding food. first off, i was in north myrtle beach, which means i was 20 minutes north of myrtle beach proper. i do wish i knew how close i was to calabash, n.c., i would have made an excursion to see if i could at least found some food to cook.

i did cook one meal, but it took 3 hours to find local ingredients. i wish for everyone's sake that they could make a chain-style restaurant that did use local ingredients and low-country ideas.

oh well, i did have a great time with my family, the beach was nice and evryone there was super friendly.

thanks for the help

bill telepan

www.telepan-ny.com

• 1 year later...

Hi, we're headed to Myrtle Beach on Wed night.

Foodie friends have an old beach house there. They probably know places, however:

Any place we should:

eat out?

buy good, local foods?

buy good wine?

buy stuff for the house for 4 days?

Thank you!

Philly Francophiles

• 2 weeks later...

We had a super time. Never ate out.

Our friend that owned the three generation old -beach house in North Myrtle Beach loves to fish off the pier.

She caught local pompano, bluefish, whiting. We dined on that and local shrimp and local blue crabs every night.

Just wonderful.

The wine selection wasn't super, the state store system...

But the water was "swimmingly" so to speak!..., and the Kroger and Bi-Lo had decent produce.

We also found sort of local cheese, made in Georgia.

Philly Francophiles