• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Petite Tender Fillet?

azlee

I saw this new cut of beef in the supermarket and couldn't resist buying it. Has anyone else tried it? What's the best way to prepare this cut of beef? As medaillions? As a roast? Any recipes?

Thanks

New cut of beef or new marketing term? What does it look like?

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

New cut of beef or new marketing term?  What does it look like?

According to the Cattlemen's Beef Board:

Beef Petite Tender Medallions are cut from the Beef Petite Tender Roast (IMPS/NAMP 1114F), a small separate muscle that rests on top of the shoulder near the top blade.

The Beef Petite Tender Roast is separated from the Beef Chuck, Shoulder Clod (IMPS/NAMP 114) by following the natural seam. All external fat is removed and it is then cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick medallions.

I bought what was marked as a roast. It's similar in shape to a pork tenderloin.

Thanks for the info. I searched "IMPS/NAMP 1114F" and found some neat industry literature, like this. I guess it wasn't sexy enough to call it Filet of Shoulder Clod!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Thanks for the info.  I searched "IMPS/NAMP 1114F" and found some neat industry literature, like this.  I guess it wasn't sexy enough to call it Filet of Shoulder Clod!

thanks for the link. some cool recipe ideas there. :smile:

Thanks for the info.  I searched "IMPS/NAMP 1114F" and found some neat industry literature, like this.  I guess it wasn't sexy enough to call it Filet of Shoulder Clod!

i found some additional info here

looks like the petite tender is also low in calories.

i'm planning to experiment with my roast later today.