• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Rival BB200 Crockpit BBQ"

dbrociner

Does anyone have one of these?

On sale today as part of Amazon's weekly Friday sale. It sounds good, maybe too good. Please don't write about how this isn't authentic BBQ, I live in NJ and probably wouldn't know authentic BBQ if it slapped me across the face according to most people who live in the BBQ belt. Any info would be appreciated. Could you achieve the same results in a low oven? I like the idea of being able to set this thing up and come home from work to find dinner ready. Worried that it will end up gathering dust in the closet with other kitchen gadgets.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

I already make pulled pork in the crockpot on occasion. This just looks like a damn big one, with a rack.... good idea to me

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

if you like that one-touch, you'll love this one:

clickety

i've owned both. the difference is not just the ash catcher (which really is a HUGE convenience--no more lifting the barbecue to dump it or shoveling it out with a garden trowel). This model is built much sturdier and after two years shows not a bit of age.

Does anyone have one of these?

On sale today as part of Amazon's weekly Friday sale. It sounds good, maybe too good. Please don't write about how this isn't authentic BBQ, I live in NJ and probably wouldn't know authentic BBQ if it slapped me across the face according to most people who live in the BBQ belt. Any info would be appreciated. Could you achieve the same results in a low oven? I like the idea of being able to set this thing up and come home from work to find dinner ready. Worried that it will end up gathering dust in the closet with other kitchen gadgets.

I wouldn't argue with the other comments about "big crock w/rack" but, if your goal is to have some semblance of bbq awaiting you at the end of the day, this looks like it would do the trick. I wonder if you could use a metal "smoke" box, made to create smoke using a gas grill, in it? Rival is (or was once, anyway) HQd in Kansas City so it's a little surprising it took this long for this product to evolve. My curiosity just led me to the Rival website where they suggest using liquid smoke. I don't care for the after-taste/mouthfeel that it imparts so I sent them an email inquiring if they had ever tried using a smoke box (yes, I need to get a life, but it's a bbq thing). I'll post the reply.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Not sure I'd try a smokebox indoors. Smoke alarms, cabon monoxide etc.

I have read positive reviews on these things, but essentially, its a big crock pot with a rack. No smoke, but low and slow pork is still PDT.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Not sure I'd try a smokebox indoors. Smoke alarms, cabon monoxide etc.

I have read positive reviews on these things, but essentially, its a big crock pot with a rack. No smoke, but low and slow pork is still PDT.

A little worstershire, lots of Franks hot sauce, touch of maple syrup, onion powder and pepper you are good to go. No its not BBQ but it make a mean pulled pork sandwich :biggrin:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association