• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleveland's Delis and Sub Shops

torakris

The sub talk in the mall thread made me realize how much I miss good sandwiches. This summer I will be on the hunt for the best Clevelabnd has to offer.

Being an Italian catholic girl growing up on the East side, I would get my weekly sub at Alesci's.

This is still probably the first place I go to when I get to Cleveland.

While I love Alesci's and will never stop going :biggrin: I am ready to expand my horizons and try some other places. The only other place I have ever had a sub sandwich was Subway...

Where does everyone else go?

I am open to West side suggestions as well...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Well, the previously mentioned Dave's Cosmic makes v. good subs IMO. I like the Veg Out personally. The downtown location is my fave as it's such a little hole in the wall and the guy that works the counter during the day is cute, in a fifty-something, surfer-hippie way. *swoon*

What about Grum's?

enthusiastic seconds on Grums

few more:

Jack's Deli on s green and cedar (not really subs but nice sandwiches)

Slyman's Deli on St. Clair (google says: 3106 Saint Clair)

also around there

Hole in the wall vietnamese place on superior and somewhere west of e24th (its kind of hidden in a tiny strip mall behind a soul food takeaway) has decent bahn mi

I'll keep thinking, its harder when you dont live there any more :rolleyes: ...

Dan

enthusiastic seconds on Grums

few more:

Jack's Deli on s green and cedar (not really subs but nice sandwiches)

Slyman's Deli on St. Clair (google says: 3106 Saint Clair)

also around there

Hole in the wall vietnamese place on superior and somewhere west of e24th (its kind of hidden in a tiny strip mall behind a soul food takeaway) has decent bahn mi

I'll keep thinking, its harder when you dont live there any more :rolleyes: ...

Dan

You're thinking of the former Pho Hua (which just avoided a legal battle with a chain of the same name by agreeing to change its name - I want to say to Superior Pho. Hole in the wall but good - cattycorner to Golden Bakery.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I've been meaning to go to both Slyman's and Pho Hua (or whatever that pho and ban mi shop is called now) for a while now. I work just a mile or two away, but I still haven't gotten around to running out there for lunch yet.

I'm definitely going to hit both sometime this summer, because I'm heading off to Chicago in the fall.

-------

Alex

I've been meaning to go to both Slyman's and Pho Hua (or whatever that pho and ban mi shop is called now) for a while now. I work just a mile or two away, but I still haven't gotten around to running out there for lunch yet.

I'm definitely going to hit both sometime this summer, because I'm heading off to Chicago in the fall.

-------

Alex

Hey Alex,

Maybe I will join you for lunch one day!

I really hate going out to eat by myself and it isn't the kind of stuff my kids like. :hmmm:

I did go to the Golden Bakery last year on Nancy's reccomendation and really enjoyed their breads.

Why have I never heard of Grum's and why can't I place it on Coventry???

What is it by?

It's towards the bottom (or what I always think of as the bottom) of the coventry strip, right before you hit mayfield. Its a brown building with a small sign on the left hand side of the street (if you are heading towards mayfield). Nothing super special about it but they do make really solid subs. Sorry but I can't remember any more details, sometimes coventry is a bit fuzzy in my head...

now I want an Alesci's pizza bagel

Dan

It's towards the bottom (or what I always think of as the bottom) of the coventry strip, right before you hit mayfield.  Its a brown building with a small sign on the left hand side of the street (if you are heading towards mayfield).  Nothing super special about it but they do make really solid subs.  Sorry but I can't remember any more details, sometimes coventry is a bit fuzzy in my head...

now I want an Alesci's pizza bagel

Dan

Thanks!

I am usually on the other side of the street once I am down at the bottom of Coventry (yeah, I think of it as the bottom too :biggrin: ), I really like the sushi rolls at Pacific East.

• 3 weeks later...

For the first time in my life I went to Corky and Lenny's, I never knew the place was a sit down restaurant. The pickles they started us off with were great, especially the pickled green tomatoes those were a first for me. I ordered 'The Eastsider' a rare roast beef sandwich with Thousand Island dressing and coleslaw (both on the sandwich) and a side of potato salad. It was everything I had been dreaming about, layer after layer after layer of roast beef on a great rye bread. It was a little bit pricier than what I had thought of paying for a sandwich but it was very good.

It also turned out that my sister (who I was with) babysits for the manager and he treated all of us to some desserts. :biggrin:

You just made me very very jealous.... I grew up on the East Side and we used to go to Corky and Lenny's almost every weekend. Now that I live in Atlanta, I dream about their mishmash soup and corned beef and latkes. Sigh.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

I'll put my vote in for Grum's. In fact, I was up in Cleveland just last weekend and took a few Turkey Ridge sammies home for myself and my roommate (we both went to Case Western for college). They've changed the hoagie bun since I was in college, but it's still about 90% as good as I remember it to be.

Grum's is located very near the corner of Mayfield and Coventry. Right next to Record Exchange.

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link