• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Faspa

Badiane

My mother is turning 80 this year. She has decreed that there will be a family party held on August 20 in honor of said birthday. It's going to be in the back yard of my parents home, and my sisters and I will be doing the bulk of the cooking. It's going to be a come and go affair for about 80 people, 60 of whom will be over the age of 75.

Mom has further decreed that this is to be a 'Faspa'. Faspa is a low-German, Mennonite term used for a typical late afternoon lunch that for generations has been served in Mennonite homes. The lunch consists of fresh, homemade buns, butter, jam, coffee, and cheese. Faspa can also include fruit preserves, sausage or other sliced meat, and dessert. On a Sunday, Faspa would have been the evening meal, and often relatives and friends would stop over unannounced.

So...being the cooks that we are, we need some fresh ideas on an old classic. We can't just have buns and cheese and coffee, can we? No, that would be wrong. So very wrong. Where is the fun in that. Every Sunday of my growing up years, I dutifully ate buns with cheese and jam, some sliced summer sausage and syrup cookies. It's just so ordinary. Sure it's tradition, but can you help me put a spin on it to make it special for Mom's birthday?

Only caveat is that these are some elderly folks, and the ingredients have to be normal and recognizable...no sushi, nothing overly spicy, etc.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I might not thinking posh enough for an eG spread, but I've just been looking through 'Food that Really Schmecks' for ideas. It's not too late to start some dandylion wine. Some nice jellied pates would go well along with those home made sausages. Pig tails, Edna's recipe is my favorite, sticky, succulant, perfect with those nice potato rolls (and lots of wet wipes).

Of course lots of pickles and relishes, beets and baby corn in August, pickled crab apples and pears. Watermelon rind pickle.

Quiche of course.

Some fresh soft cheese to spread on your homemade bread, along with some apple butter.

And pies, cakes, squares, cookies.

I'm getting hungry now. Gotta get me some pig tails.

I might not thinking posh enough for an eG spread, but I've just been looking through 'Food that Really Schmecks' for ideas. It's not too late to start some dandylion wine.  Some nice jellied pates would go well along with those home made sausages.  Pig tails, Edna's recipe is my favorite, sticky, succulant, perfect with those nice potato rolls (and lots of wet wipes).

Of course lots of pickles and relishes, beets and baby corn in August, pickled crab apples and pears.  Watermelon rind pickle. 

Quiche of course.

Some fresh soft cheese to spread on your homemade bread, along with some apple butter. 

And pies, cakes, squares, cookies. 

I'm getting hungry now.  Gotta get me some pig tails.

Yikes! Who knew anyone else would own Food That Really Schmecks ! I love the cucumber salad with onion and sour cream (page 93) from that book and was pretty much a wreck when I lost/gave away the book and couldn't find the recipe. Thank goodness I found a used copy at a garage sale!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I love that book! I had my eye open for years, looking for a copy, and just two summers ago my next-door neighbour gave me one out of the blue. "Some old Mennonite cookbook somebody gave me," was how she described it. She was rather taken aback at my delight.

I get a kick out of the unapologetic vindictiveness of her rabbit recipes...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Around here, the Mennonite Treasury is the definitive authority. I'm pretty sure 'Food that Schmecks' is heresy of some kind. Never one to worry about these things, I am going to order a copy today :smile:

I'm not making my own sausage...but I am going to tell my sister that I am and then watch her make her own version. What is sisterhood without some fierce competition and a few dirty tricks? :laugh:

And I happen to have watermelon rind pickle in the fridge...just made it and it should be nicely ready in time.

All I need now are some pig tails.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

OK, I need a copy of "Food that Really Schmecks"  where can I get one?

www.abebooks.com they have both "Food that Really Schmecks" and "More Food that Really Schmecks"